anal gland removal?
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: anal gland removal?

kammy is offline Village Puppy

Default anal gland removal?

My vet just told me that my 9 year old Bella has 2 lumps on her anal gland. Because of her age he didn't push too hard on the surgery, but said it could be tumors. Other than this she is fairly healthy and still leads a quality life so I opted to do it. She is my world and I am a nervous wreck to say the least, I am wondering if anyone else has gone through anal gland removal? and if so what to expect? Thanks so much

oh... secondly she also makes what I can only describe as a weird horking noise, does anyone elses pug do this?

Smart Pugs is offline Village Senator

We have had a couple of dogs over the years who have had their anal glands removed. Both were extremely successful!. Good luck to Bella.

Smartie, Audrey, Noah
    and Chihuahua siblings: Kirby, Shadow, Zeta and Fizzy Dave

Snifter is offline Moderator/Village Merchant

Good luck to Bella. I have a friend who has had anal glands removed from a pug and the surgery went well.

You'll find videos on You Tube on the suject of reverse sneezing. Take a look. That is probably the cause of the honking and it is very common in pugs.

Bella, mummy to Snifter and Toddy!

http://avrilmunson.wordpress.com

Rugbysmom is online now Village Royalty

Please keep us posted on how you & Bella are doing. Those pesky anal glands...my vet told me that sometimes removing the glands can cause some temporary or more rarely, permanent incontinence. But if it were me, I'd rather deal with that than tumors. Does your vet do laser surgery, by any chance? And you might ask if he uses an anesthetic called "Iso," which the vet can reverse quickly if he notices Bella having any problems.

As you can see from the above posts, others have had the surgery done quite successfully, so we'll be hoping & praying for the same results for Bella!
    Rugbysmom

Rugby DOB: 7/10/02

Molly DOB: 7/6/04

Thanks for all the warm thoughts, her surgery is this Thursday and I will keep you up to date :)

Thanks for the suggestions, I will defintely ask about the anestetic!!

pugaddiction is offline Village Admiral

Best of luck to Bella, sending her a gentle hug.
    GINA

Rugbysmom is online now Village Royalty

We'll be keeping you & Bella in our thoughts & prayers then, & hoping all goes smoothely for Bella, and that she will have quick recovery!
    Rugbysmom

Rugby DOB: 7/10/02

Molly DOB: 7/6/04

Hi guys just wanted to let you know that Bella is out of surgery and doing well. It turns out it was not a tumor or anything of that nature, it was actually an accumulation of hairs that had somehow managed to work their way into her gland. Just my luck, something the vet said he has never seen!! Regardless I am so relieved that it is over and she will no longer feel uncomfortable in her bum. Thanks for all your support and well wishes, hugs and wet kisses from Bella

+ Reply to Thread