14 yr old pug wobbles on back legs
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By 6 Beautiful Pugs
  • 3 Post By Misslisajm

Thread: 14 yr old pug wobbles on back legs

davida is offline New to the Village

Default 14 yr old pug wobbles on back legs

I have read lots about senior pugs becoming wobbly on their back legs and this has also become an issue for my sweet little guy. In the past year or so he has started to have issues as he walks, and the Vet supplied arthritic meds which have helped, but recently it seems that this no longer works. He now will loose his footing and basically sit in the spot he lands. This is breaking my heart and I'm so concerned about what to do? I have scheduled a new appointment with my Vet this Sunday to discuss next steps. Other than his issues with his legs he still is eating normally and still loves to give his kisses and be around everyone. Usually I'm a very good writer when it comes to sharing my thoughts but I'm feeling so upset I can't even clearly share what I'm trying to say. Basically can anyone tell me if they have gone through this and how do I deal with this? I love him so much and just want to keep him safe and comfortable.
    signed...
    pug dad with worried sick!

PetuniePug is offline New to the Village

My little Petunia started getting wobbly when she turned 13 or 14. We struggled to find meds that work for a while, but now we give her Greenies joint chews (with green lip oysters) and Dasuquin. Now she is 16 and she is about as healthy as a 10 year old. Hope that helps!

Rugbysmom is offline Village Royalty

Hi & I'm sorry you are facing the old-age stuff with your little guy! That is just the hardest thing to go thru! We would do anything for our babies, but unfortunately, not even the vets can cure old age....I think it's a problem with a lot of old dogs, that they seem to lose more & more muscle tone, especially in their hind legs. I hope your vet can make him more comfortable so you & he can enjoy each other's company for awhile longer yet. Do you have carpets, or wood floors? If wood, it might help if you put down lots of throw rugs so his legs don't slip out from under him....we just put a step-stool in front of our sofa so Rugby can go up & down on that, instead of jumping all the way. For our previous Pug, in addition to the Rimadyl the vet gave her for arthritis, I was giving her a glucosamin chondroitin supplement as well. I'll keep you & your little guy in my thoughts & prayers! Please let us know how he does.

I'm sure others will chime in with some good ideas, too.
    Rugbysmom

Rugby DOB: 7/10/02

Molly DOB: 7/6/04

6 Beautiful Pugs is offline Village Caretaker of the Old & Broken

Power Paws Dog Socks in 8 Sizes: Stop Your Dog from Slipping | Woodrow Wear

Our rescue just put an order for several sets of these.

There is also a spray made for sled dogs which gives older dogs better traction on hard floors.

I have many seniors, this is not a quality of life ending issue. You will find a solution that works for your baby.

Give your little old man a hug for me.

Take care,
    Lisa
    CSollers likes this.
    In a gentle way, you can shake the world.

- Mohandas Gandhi

davida is offline New to the Village

Hi everyone, thank you all for your kind words and great ideas. Milo is going to the Vet on Sunday for an X-ray so we can determine next steps. The Vet mentioned possibly giving him a shot of cortisone. I've been trying to read up on side effects and I find sine very positive info bit then some others that have had horrible side effects even death. Any thoughts on this? Still not sleeping well, worried about my little boy. I just wa t to make the choices for him. Other hsn his walking issues he's still happy as a clam.
    Thanks
    David

Pat's Crew is offline Village Question Asker

my son is going through this with his 13 year old pug too. he has some neurogical issues as he ages.. they are finding the best thing for him is to keep him on the carpet as much as possible for his footing. he refuses to wear boots...and has attitude at his age too..
    they also elevated his food bowl and he has a good appetite and such too..
    still spry as ever but with the footing it is an issue....

also he started to give him shark cartliage sp? and it is doing wanders for Otis too. you could try that as well. helps to build up muscle and so on..... my girlfriend had a newfoundland that suffered big problems in her rear end due to an accident playing and shark cartliage if what her vet ordered too. she was like a new dog in a bit of time.........comes in gel tablets and also in buscuit form too..
    A pugs world is full of play and sleep and of course good food.........

6 Beautiful Pugs is offline Village Caretaker of the Old & Broken

Quote Originally Posted by davida View Post
    Hi everyone, thank you all for your kind words and great ideas. Milo is going to the Vet on Sunday for an X-ray so we can determine next steps. The Vet mentioned possibly giving him a shot of cortisone. I've been trying to read up on side effects and I find sine very positive info bit then some others that have had horrible side effects even death. Any thoughts on this? Still not sleeping well, worried about my little boy. I just wa t to make the choices for him. Other hsn his walking issues he's still happy as a clam.
    Thanks
    David
    An injection of steroids can tell you if steroid therapy is going to help, and it is long acting, you don't need to give pills or taper down dosage, those are the positives. The negatives are that once it's given, if you have bad reactions, you can't un-give it so you have to live with those effects for several weeks. Common side effects are more frequent urination, and/or loss of urinary control, excessive thirst, irritability, loss in ability to fight off infections and heal. With pills, if you experience any of these effects that become serious, you can simply stop giving the pill....with the injection what's done is done.

You might try the sled dog spray if you're sure he won't accept a lightweight sock. Also keep his weight down to the lean side of ideal.

Take care,
    Lisa
    In a gentle way, you can shake the world.

- Mohandas Gandhi

Jalk is offline Village Mayor

The idea's shared are all good idea's. I noticed my 14 boy being a little unsteady once in a while. The cortisone injection Milo will get will decrease any inflammation he may have. It could be the inflammation in his back is pressing on a nerve and the inflammation needs to be attended to. The inflammation may be due to arthritis which Milo can take supplements for such as Cosiquin (not sure of spelling) to keep inflammation down. He may not be sleeping well if he is uncomfortable with all the above I just mentioned. My little man, Munch, is 14 and he had bad periodontal disease. (teeth) He did not show me he was in pain except for when he ate, he had a hard time chewing. Dogs can hide their pain very well. The other reason he may not be sleeping well is because he is getting older. Munch gets up during the night and taps around the house. Maybe he is getting a drink of water or maybe he is just wandering around. I don't know but he comes back to bed and sleeps the rest of the night. I would almost think your little guy must have some discomfort though and thats why he is not sleeping well. Good luck to you and your little buddy and let us know how things go. Take care.

Misslisajm is offline New to the Village

Though I know this thread is quite old, every bit of information is useful especially when it comes to our four-legged friends. My bosses pug, Mattie, is 13 and she too in the last month exhibited "wobbling, drunk walking" and peculiar behavior, to the point, we thought she was having seizure. After rushing her to an animal hospital and them recommending every test under the sun (not to mention $3k later) the only thing they "thought" it may be was an inner ear infection OR a stroke due to spotting that showed on an MRI. She was prescribed antibiotics and sent Home. After weeks of worrying and no follow-up from any of the doctors might I add, she was still doing wobbles and could just tell she wasn't her normal self. Tired of dead-end a answers from the primary vet, as well as the folks at the animal hospital wanting to do nothing but run another test and take our money, Mattie was still in the same shape. After lots of research, my boss found a holistic veterinarian in the area (baltimore county) and thought at this point anything can help. The doctor was the first person that asked questions like, "what does her diet look like", "has she had any stress or trauma" and seemed to genuinely care about the pug as oppose to money that may be generated from this visit. Mattie was put on a regimen of Chinese herbs and probiotics to help restore good bacteria in the body and increase blood flow. The doctor also concluded she was definitely exhibiting signs of a stoke and recommended acupuncture for increased healing and well being.

So far Mattie has undergone two acu-treatments and is doing SO much better. She gets tired easily if she over exhorts herself, but when she's rested, is full of tenacity, reminding the household who is the master. Given her progress so far, we hope with routine treatments, her vitality will be greatly restored.

It seems so many of you have received the "run-around" in trying to heal your dog. The alternative medicine was one of the best things that could have be done for Mattie! Like humans, not every treatment will work for one as it does for another, but it's certainly worth a try. Especially for a senior dog, I can't imagine being put under time and time again and being pickled with pharmaceuticals can be effective. Good luck to all you pug lovers!

CSollers is offline Village Sugar Daddy

I love seeing a good newa story for a change. Could you please pm the Vet's contact information to me? We live in the area and a good holistic Vet would be a good person to know, thanks!
    Chris, owned by Minni the diva, and "Sugar" Ray the ever hungry.
    DH to Ellen , DD to Lindsay and Carrie

+ Reply to Thread