Smelly pug!!!!!!!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Smelly pug!!!!!!!

cindyc8311 is offline New to the Village

Default Smelly pug!!!!!!!

I recently adopted a pug from the animal shelter....yes someone turned in a pug! He has this "pound" smell ...pretty stinky. He has been bathed a couple of times but still is pretty strong. The vet couldn't see anything wrong with him......help....any suggestions on how to get rid of the smell? How often is too often to bath a pug?

Tinker's mom is offline Village Royalty

Hello & to the village! Did the vet check his glands, ears, nose rolls, teeth? Is your vet familiar with pugs? You can bathe regularly with a good shampoo that doesn't dry their coats.I would bathe and if still smelly take him back to the vet's or get a second opinion.Did he come with any medical history?
    Jackie,Mom to Robbie & Stacy my human children and Tinker my furkid.

pugtown is offline Village Admiral

Are you sure he isn't yeasty? That's a pretty noticeable smell that doesn't go away right away with bathing since they might have a yeast infection. Also a "corn chip" smell can be demodex mange.

Hellas is offline Village Admiral

If he doesn't have an ear infection and the teeth are good, then my first suggestion would be to try a diet change. Going on a totally grain free, high quality diet can work wonders when it comes to smell. I always prefer a grain free raw diet (either home made or frozen or freeze dried prepared - there are several brands to choose from). If you've never fed raw before, it's not as strange as it seems. It basically means trying to give the dog what is most natural for it to eat, which is a diet based on raw meat. If you google it, you'll find lots of helpful info online about why dogs should be fed a raw, meat based diet.

Often, a raw diet will not only improve overall health and smell, it will also decrease pooping and farting A LOT. My dogs barely ever fart since I switched them over to a raw diet. Dental health has also improved. Teeth can be a big problem with pugs, so it's something to consider.

So, a diet change would be my first step. Simultaneously, I'd make sure I knew how to properly clean the folds in the face, especially the nose roll. I use special pads bought at the vet. Some pug owners use unscented baby wipes, but those don't work at all on my dogs. My vet said that it was better to use products made for dogs, as they have a different skin ph to humans. I know there's a recipe for home made cleaning solution on this site somewhere, if you don't want to buy something at the vets.

I bathe my dogs 2-4 times a year and they don't smell bad. I don't think a dog should be bathed more than once a month tops. They need the oils on the skin. If a bath doesn't remove the smell, there's a deeper issue that needs to be adressed.
    Pugpillow likes this.
    Proud mama to puggies Winston and Ozzie, Slatan the Cat and Zino the horse.

Candice07 is offline Village Governor

Maybe anal glads?
    arunkchow likes this.
    http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5299/5412861229_3b17d3317d_z.jpg

CSollers is offline Village Sugar Daddy

The above advice covers all I can think of. Two additional things though. Welcome to PV, and thanks for rescuing him.
    Chris, owned by Minni the diva, and "Sugar" Ray the ever hungry.
    DH to Ellen , DD to Lindsay and Carrie

shaynapug is offline Village Royalty

Quote Originally Posted by Hellas View Post
    If he doesn't have an ear infection and the teeth are good, then my first suggestion would be to try a diet change. Going on a totally grain free, high quality diet can work wonders when it comes to smell. I always prefer a grain free raw diet (either home made or frozen or freeze dried prepared - there are several brands to choose from). If you've never fed raw before, it's not as strange as it seems. It basically means trying to give the dog what is most natural for it to eat, which is a diet based on raw meat. If you google it, you'll find lots of helpful info online about why dogs should be fed a raw, meat based diet.

Often, a raw diet will not only improve overall health and smell, it will also decrease pooping and farting A LOT. My dogs barely ever fart since I switched them over to a raw diet. Dental health has also improved. Teeth can be a big problem with pugs, so it's something to consider.

So, a diet change would be my first step. Simultaneously, I'd make sure I knew how to properly clean the folds in the face, especially the nose roll. I use special pads bought at the vet. Some pug owners use unscented baby wipes, but those don't work at all on my dogs. My vet said that it was better to use products made for dogs, as they have a different skin ph to humans. I know there's a recipe for home made cleaning solution on this site somewhere, if you don't want to buy something at the vets.

I bathe my dogs 2-4 times a year and they don't smell bad. I don't think a dog should be bathed more than once a month tops. They need the oils on the skin. If a bath doesn't remove the smell, there's a deeper issue that needs to be adressed.
    Great suggestions. I dont' feed raw..but a change in food might be the thing. The other thing is thyroid. We got a pug into rescue because he had a smell and needed a special bath twice a week and then went to once a week.....and I think was ok once the meds were regulated.
    Diane
    Shayna Pugs
    http://www.midmichiganpugclub.com
    Chairperson of PDCA Rescue Committee

cindyc8311 is offline New to the Village

Thanks to everyone for your thoughts and ideas. He was a bit testy with the vet so I am not sure he got a real good check up. It is more toward the front end than the back. His teeth are in good shape that we could see well!!!!! His face and ears do seem to be the strongest area. I had another smaller dog and she never smelled bad. I have no records as far as his past. He was a surrender but that was about all I know. I think I will get him back to the vet with the idea that maybe this isn't just a stinky dog! Then try one thing at a time until i can figure it out!!!! I will let you know what I find out! Oh by the way, his name is Elvis...go figure.

lbgrrl is offline Village Mayor

When I brought my Beatrice home, she smelled pretty bad. It was a combination of not being bathed, dirty ears, her diet etc. She also had a skin infection under her chin. After a month or two, with a diet change and proper care of her skin infection, she smelled fine. She smells *good* now!

Hellas is offline Village Admiral

Quote Originally Posted by cindyc8311 View Post
    Thanks to everyone for your thoughts and ideas. He was a bit testy with the vet so I am not sure he got a real good check up. It is more toward the front end than the back. His teeth are in good shape that we could see well!!!!! His face and ears do seem to be the strongest area. I had another smaller dog and she never smelled bad. I have no records as far as his past. He was a surrender but that was about all I know. I think I will get him back to the vet with the idea that maybe this isn't just a stinky dog! Then try one thing at a time until i can figure it out!!!! I will let you know what I find out! Oh by the way, his name is Elvis...go figure.
    Could be an ear infection in that case. Many pugs are prone to them. A good diet can help prevent them, as can regular cleaning of the ears using an appropriate ear cleaning solution for dogs. I clean the ears with a solution at least a couple of times a month since Winston is prone to ear infections, and as long as I keep it up, his ears are fine and don't smell at all. If the dog is generally in less than perfect condition, having a funky nose roll as well as smelly ears isn't uncommon.

A great diet is likely to improve many things, so it's definitely a recommendation, but he may also need help to clear up any infections. The pads we use for the nose roll contain both germ killing and anti fungal ingredients. We use them about 2-3 times a week and their faces stay healthy and smelling fresh. If an infection occurs, which has happened twice when we've been sloppy with cleaning, the pads usually take care of it within a week. We've never had a nose roll issue that the pads couldn't fix.

Pugs are not smelly dogs in my experience. Both of mine have very little dog smell, which people have actually commented on. And this is despite the fact that I barely ever bathe them.
    Proud mama to puggies Winston and Ozzie, Slatan the Cat and Zino the horse.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast