The Pug is a toy breed that was developed as a lap dog – these dogs were originally bred to literally sit on people’s laps. Pugs became incredibly popular among Chinese nobility and their reputation spread quickly once they were introduced in the Western world. Today, the Pug is still widely known as a companion pet and many people love the breed for its friendly, clownish personality. If you still aren’t sure whether the Pug is the right breed for you, consider the fact that many famous celebrities own Pugs. Here are a few of the top examples:
- Rob Zombie – An American musician and film producer, Rob Zombie is best known as the founding member of a heavy metal band called White Zombie. Zombie is also known for being the producer of several legendary horror movies such as The Lord of Salem, House of 1000 Corpses, and The Devil’s Rejects. Zombie is also the owner of a black Pug named Dracula.
- Gerard Butler – Scottish-born actor and film heartthrob Gerard Butler is best known for his roles in the sci-fi film Timeline and his role as the Spartan King Leonidas in the film 300. Butler originally studied law but made his way into acting with several small roles during the 1990s. Butler can often be seen with his Pug named Lolita.
- Paris Hilton – Though she often gets a bad rap for being a spoiled brat, there are some good things to remember about American socialite Paris Hilton. Hilton has donated over $100k to the Children’s Hospital of Los Angeles and she has an adopted Pug named Mugsy.
- Dave Ramsey – American financial author as well as radio and television personality, Dave Ramsey is known for his motivational speaking and for helping people to get out of debt. Ramsey start hosting his own show, The Dave Ramsey Show, in 1992 and he created Financial Peace University – a biblically based training series – in 2012. Ramsey is the owner of a Pug named Heaven who was named after her predecessor, Angel.
- Dennis Quaid – American Actor known for his roles in The Rookie, Footloose, and Frequency, Dennis Quaid has been acting since the 1980s. Quaid is also known for being very active in various charities, including his annual “Dennis Quaid Chairty Weekend” which takes place in Austin each year. Quaid is also the owner of a Pug named Pudgy.
- Jessica Alba – An American actress and model, Jessica Alba began her career at the age of 13 and she is best known for her roles in Fantastic Four and Good Luck Chuck. Alba is also active in charity work benefiting Habitat for Humanity and the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children. She is also the owner of two Pugs named Syd and Nancy.
If you are looking for a reason why you should consider the Pug for your next family pet, there are many wonderful qualities to consider. The Pug is a small and adaptable breed that loves to spend time with family – they can also be very fun and silly to play with. Just look at all of the famous celebrities who own Pugs and remember that there are also millions of regular people just like you who have chosen the Pug to be their family pet.
Photo credit: tjortenzi2012/Flickr