Barrys first formal agility comp.... - Page 4
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Like Tree70Likes

Thread: Barrys first formal agility comp....

Tygermoth is offline Village Senator

Sylven. Barry is toileted before his run. However my trainer thinks he picks up on my pre run tension....and like in humans that can make you poop!

With my disability I have both coordination and processing issues so I do tend to get tense mainly as I don't want to fall... Or show us up. As we do more live runs this should ease up :)
    Lu Ci and Ri Ki and Nina_W like this.
    Samantha and Lord Barrington Smythe (Barry the Pug)

Please note I have a cognitive disability - as such my wording can be a bit off, muddled, misspelt or in some cases i can miss out some words totally... :D

Timed run again today. Stopped and pooped again on the first easy round.

Second harder round we completed with one fault though we were no means the fastest (the collies were all loads faster) however as the course was quite hard everyone picked up quite a few faults.

So we won!

Please note I have a cognitive disability - as such my wording can be a bit off, muddled, misspelt or in some cases i can miss out some words totally... :D

LilyFayre is online now Village Tea Pug

Oh Yay! Fantastic! Congrats to you and Barry!
    Tygermoth likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

Nina_W is offline Village Story Teller

WOWOWOWOWOW!!
    Celebrate for you and Barry :D
    Tygermoth likes this.

Lu Ci and Ri Ki is offline Village Ya-Ya

Well done! I'm so proud of you and Barry.
    Tygermoth likes this.
    We never touch people so lightly that we don't leave a trace.

shaynapug is offline True Village Royalty

He has to claim his spot!!!!

While I knew it was more work than confirmation......I had no idea how much more til I took Stormy through her first obedience class! My hat is off to bot you and Barry!!!! Congrats!
    Diane
    Shayna Pugs
    http://www.midmichiganpugclub.com
    Chairperson of PDCA Rescue Committee

So the poopin thing - makes me a number two (no pun intended) in the article below.

Anyone have any ideas how to bring down the tension. We love agility and we are really rather good at it and i want to show off how awesome a PUG is at agility. We train for fun and the love of it.... and it shows but when we get in the ring....

shutting a dog down | Nancy Tanner

So you feel you train differently from how you compete - or is it ring nerves?

I generally don't like affirmations (repeating "I am beautiful" over and over again invites my inner sarcasm, and does most definitely not make me feel pretty), finding a lot of it vapid nonsense... except for in this one case - where the mantra: "I am the kind of person who..." has really helped me. "I am the kind of person who is calm and happy at agility trials" might help. Or not, if it brings our your inner snark, well, I know how you feel :P

The next thing that might help is to compete with no pressure attached - go into the ring with one goal - eg "today we do a perfect dog walk" or "today we try that top spin maneuver between 6 and 7". Don't go in there for titles at all, make your aim entirely one behaviour that you're now chaining simply as practice, for the sake of fun together and for the sake of the act of working with Barry the magnificent.

It could also be, and I say this with apologies, that neither of you are quite ready for long, stressful behaviour chains just yet. Do you do full and complete runs ever at training? What happens when you make those runs identical to competitions - do you ever proof for that? Put the class on a roster, fill out some forms, wait in line, have a judge run with you... what happens to Barry if you mentally put yourself in a trial situation - if you work up yourself to imitate your nerves at class? These things need practicing. A nice class competition or two or three might help the whole class - make some ribbons to give you a reason to compete, or put in a tiny amount of money in a silly pot that can be won. Practice competing. And reward everyone really well for it.

When Talos and I were working on the finishing touches of the pinky and the brain dance routine, our trainer person said there are three steps to a routine - first, you learn all the moves, then you learn all the moves in chains, and then you learn it all again under stressful conditions. To stimulate stress she suggested I go practice really easy behaviours in a context where I am stressed - so in a busy park where people are likely to want to talk to me - and to reward Talos really well for working with me stressed out. That helped us, knowing that Talos will be ok even if I'm stressed actually relaxed me a bit (not much, but ok). That was also absolutely exhausting for me, a nice reminder how hard what we ask of our doggies sometimes is.

One thing to take heart from that article is that it can definitely get better with time and maturity as competitors :)

last comment. I think I'm a little bit in love with Nancy Tanner.
    Last edited by Nina_W; 01-02-2016 at 11:51 AM.
    Lu Ci and Ri Ki likes this.

So Silvia Trkman is my hero, just just beating out Denise Fenzi - both have great websites that I find myself reading often. Here is from Silvia's website FAQ:

- How do you know when your dog is mentally prepared to run a trial?

My puppies are mentally prepared to run a trial at about 4 months. By then, we already did that much socialization that they don't have a problem to play in whatever situation, so they're mentally ready to go. Of course, I won't run them until they're trained, I just never understood what mental preparation is required from a dog's part??? I thought that's my part of a job!

Yeah, I have no problem entering my dogs in a trial very early as I know that I won't be doing anything that will go against my training and I don't think it's anything different from their point of view as a training. I'm more careful with my students, especially those that I suspect might have problems acting happy&positive even when things don't go exactly right or those that I suspect might loosen up their contact criteria in a chase of good results, but all my own dogs started the same day they were old enough to start. With Lo and La, as it was still allowed at that time, I even ran "for exhibition only" or as a "white dog" as we call it when they were very young, like 12 months: I just ran them on lower height and skipped the weave-poles. Yeah, they can run a difficult A3 (Masters) course before they know all obstacles and way before they jump their full height.

Anyway, to sum that up: basically, I make my decision when to send a particular team to a trial on how prepared a person is, not the dog. For a dog, it's just another training - if a handler can see it like it.

Renee is offline Village Puppy

HAHA I'm sorry. When ya gotta go, ya gotta go.
    Best of luck next time!!
    Pugs are so silly

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234