Can a pug be a jogging companion???
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: Can a pug be a jogging companion???

Collipops is offline Village Mayor

Default Can a pug be a jogging companion???

Hi all, I love to exercise and I jog a little, not very fast and no more than 5 miles usually. My collie cross is my running companion. My other dogs are not suitable for various reasons. I was just wondering if the little pug puppy would make a jogging buddy when older? He is very active but from what I read, the breathing/over heating might be an issue. Does anyone jog with their pug???

SiriusPug is offline Village Admiral

My daughter now runs XC (cross country) for High School, her and Si go jogging in the woods, but only when it's cool in the morning. Si isn't even a year old yet, but he is extremely high energy and he loves going into the state park where she trains. The vet recommended cool mornings with low humidity for his health. And she carries a bottle of water just for Si and one for her with a bowl in a light pack. Check with your vet first though, ours did a complete exam and even had him jog around the office to see if his heart was going to be ok.

That's good to hear. We had him to the country park today and he was hyperactive. We have a very temperate climate, so I wonder if the overheating is only an issue in more extreme climates? I am surprised at what a sturdy, high energy little thing he is. I had read that they were a low energy breed?

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

Nina_W is offline Village Story Teller

Mine runs with me, about 4 miles at a go. She is always up for more :)

It would depend on the pug - some really won't breathe as easily as others, and others won't want to run like that - it will have to be a combo personality and physical ability.

Not when it's hot, though, and build up over time :)

SiriusPug gave great advice!
    Collipops likes this.

AmberB is offline Village Admiral

I don't think mine could do it. They get winded and overheated just from zoomies. However, it is fairly warm and humid here.
    Collipops and Nina's Mum like this.

He definitely has the temperament and the weather here is horrible , it basically rains most of the time, winters are mild, summers are wet and hot sunny days are rare! I will try him with short runs when he is older . He is incredibly greedy and good at begging with his sad eyes, so I expect he will need lots of exercise to avoid weight gain!

tall grass pugs is offline Village Orb Weaver Advocate

Well, no a pug cannot be a jogging companion. Ever. Here's why--he lacks the ability to maintain a healthy temperature under jogging speed. His short nose, chunky body, and leg joints will betray his drive to be with you and his gallent heart. He could very easily jog to death.

Stewie is offline Village Puppy

Pug puppies have A LOT of energy sometimes. Our pug was taken out to almost an hour jog, he fell asleep straight after. If you take little breaks for him to breathe, drink water, your pug should be okay. However I am not sure about older pugs.

puglover22 is offline Village Royalty

I wouldn't do it.......but you could get one of those strollers that you jog with and put him in it!?

Stephanie, pugmom to Louie Livewire, born 3/15/06
    and my 3 angels waiting at the bridge....
    the very special Junior, my pug angel who is doing agility at the rainbow bridge 11/22/91 - 3/13/06
    the very special Danny, my first dog, a Dandie Dinmont Terrier 4/5/70 - 2/10/84
    the very special Paddy, the pug who was loved around the world, who my family had the pleasure and honor of loving for the last 3 years and 5 months 5/1/98 - 8/6/14

Nina's Mum is offline Village Puppy

Default Nina pug says she'll go jogging if I push her in a cart

Hey, I'm ready Mum. Take me with you when you jog.

We're in our cart and waiting...

Just think of all the calories you'll burn pushing us...

image by [url=https://www.flickr.com/people/[email protected]/]

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast