What about this then!
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Nina_W
  • 1 Post By Wonka & Nilla

Thread: What about this then!

LilyFayre is offline Village Tea Pug

Default What about this then!

I've had a few hospital appointments to see an endocrinologist this year as having had an 80% thyroidectomy 20 years ago, feeling tired, cold and fat it was my belief that I'd gone under active. My blood tests were borderline, but they also determined that I was very vitamin D and B12 depleted.

Since taking my vitamins I've felt much better and was a bit surprised when I got a recall appointment yesterday. So off I went and saw a very charming young registrar who's first question to me was "Are you taking contraception?" Well, I like to think I look younger than my years, but replied somewhat startled that I'm 60 years old! So then he asked how about HRT? Yes I do take HRT and it's in my medical notes. He then explained that they'd had abnormal blood test results back from my last visit and had recalled me because they indicated a pituitary gland problem, but not to worry as the results are explained by the HRT and the last doctor I saw had omitted to take that into account.

Well I hope that's right - anyone know?

Nina_W is offline Village Story Teller

no idea, sorry, but I hope you're ok, and feeling less tired!
    LilyFayre likes this.

Wonka & Nilla is offline Village Dancing Jitterpug

No idea and can't offer any advice, but I'm glad the vitamins are helping you feel a bit better.
    LilyFayre likes this.
    Village Moderator

Mom to Miss Jelly Bean "Beanie" Licorice Pug
    Forever in our hearts:
    Miss Nilla Sassafras Pug August 17, 2002 to April 19, 2018
    And my Heart-Dog...
    Wonka the Dancing Pug, CGC, W-FD, W-TFD.
    Februrary 11, 2005 to May 10, 2020. Miss you, sweet boy!

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

SiriusPug is offline Village Admiral

I'm surprised he didn't have you take a B-12 injection and prescription vitamin D if it was depleted badly? Don't you just love when they ask about contraception, I get it to and I'm in my 30's without the required parts to reproduce, lol. HRT can askew some tests, at least that's what I've been told (I think it can make it registrar higher number for some things), I'm not allowed to take it at all due to it possibly aggravating or bringing back my original problem.

Glad you're feeling better.

Yes, I was threatened with the B12 injections, but was told to take a daily pill for a month first which fortunately brought the level back up and I've continued on taking that. They prescribed 20,000 units of vitamin D to be taken once a week for 16 weeks to bring that level back up, which my GP told me to take again this autumn until the day light hours lengthen again. I've actually taken hrt for 21 years now since I was left with no oestrogen after having thyroid disease and started turning into mindless zombie lol!

SiriusPug is offline Village Admiral

B12 injections aren't so bad if you ever have to have them. I had them, just be prepared to be superwoman it's like having extra energy. My illness is estrogen fed, endometriosis so estrogen is not good for me.

I like the idea of feeling like superwoman! Your situation doesn't sound so good though - hope it doesn't cause you too much pain xx

shaynapug is offline True Village Royalty

I would call up your endocrinologist and ask him to explain. Isn't he the one that ordered the test? If not, that's the dr I'd talk to!

I am missing 1/2 my thyroid from a cancer surgery. Am on meds to fool the other side. I was told this time...NOT to take my pill in the AM. But to take it as soon as I got home! Weird...cuz last year this same Dr., who is now retiring, told me it was okay if I missed even 5 days!!!! Guess now that I have a nodule on the remaining thryoid, it's different!

Seeing all being okay! Would think that they'd want you in for more testing if they suspected something!
    Last edited by shaynapug; 12-13-2015 at 10:03 AM.
    Diane
    Shayna Pugs
    http://www.midmichiganpugclub.com
    Chairperson of PDCA Rescue Committee

Quote Originally Posted by shaynapug View Post
    I would call up your endocrinologist and ask him to explain. Isn't he the one that ordered the test? If not, that's the dr I'd talk to!
    Well I guess I'll find out - he sent me down to the lab to have more blood tests to double check the results. Think I'd feel a bit more confident if he hadn't asked someone of my age if I was taking the contraceptive pill though lol!

+ Reply to Thread