• 2 Post By Wonka & Nilla
  • 1 Post By shaynapug
  • 1 Post By CountryPug
  • 1 Post By Tinker's mom
  • 1 Post By Bugoneal
  • 1 Post By Wonka & Nilla
  • 1 Post By Bugoneal
  • 1 Post By Wonka & Nilla

Thread: Low FODMAP diet, anyone? (For IBS)

Wonka & Nilla is offline Village Dancing Jitterpug

Default Low FODMAP diet, anyone? (For IBS)

I think this might be my first time posting on the HUMAN health forum of PV! It's typically always about PUG health!

Are any of you eating a low FODMAP diet for IBS or other gut issue relief? If so, I've love to hear what your favorite recipes are or brands of foods that you like!

Brief history, I've been having some gastrointestinal issues for a while now and we *think* it might be IBS (Irritable bowel syndrome). A diagnosis of IBS is basically a diagnosis of elimination and my doc has run a multitude of tests and procedures and eliminated many other obvious issues. We know it's not bowel cancer or diverticulitis, I don't have the markers for Crohn's disease or ulcerative colitis, it's not gallstones, a UTI, thyroid issues or a bunch of other things.... so, it looks like we are left with IBS.
    Out of desperation to get some relief, I researched thoroughly and decided to give the low FODMAP diet a try. I am SO happy I did because it has already been hugely successful in eliminating almost all of my symptoms!!! After about the third day I was pain-free for the first time in months. It's been two weeks and the only time I've had pain is when I over-did it and ate too much, or ate something that I later found out was a no-no. Oops! The low FODMAP elimination diet is intended to be short-term and then you begin "re-challenging" the potential problem foods in a systematic way to see what is triggering symptoms. I will begin re-challenging foods next week.... but I'm strongly suspecting that my issues will be lactose, onions and garlic.

Anyone else out there who has been on this? Did you have success? If any of you are unfamiliar with this meal plan and curious to learn more, the dietician Kate Scarlata has an excellent blog, with recipes, shopping lists and more: The well balanced FODMAPer—Kate Scarlata RDN - Kate Scarlata RD
    CountryPug and Tinker's mom like this.
    Village Moderator

Mom to Miss Jelly Bean "Beanie" Licorice Pug
    Forever in our hearts:
    Miss Nilla Sassafras Pug August 17, 2002 to April 19, 2018
    And my Heart-Dog...
    Wonka the Dancing Pug, CGC, W-FD, W-TFD.
    Februrary 11, 2005 to May 10, 2020. Miss you, sweet boy!

shaynapug is offline True Village Royalty

While I'm not happy you continue to have problems...sure am glad you've found something that will help!!!!

I haven't heard of this diet! See it working!!!

Pug hugs!
    Wonka & Nilla likes this.
    Diane
    Shayna Pugs
    http://www.midmichiganpugclub.com
    Chairperson of PDCA Rescue Committee

CountryPug is offline Village Pug Pony & Brittany Wrangler

I am so glad this diet plan is helping you and you are on the verge of discovering what the culprits are Thank you for sharing your story and the links, I'm going to read them.

Christa, Mom to Toby, Kelsey, Summer & Ellie Mae

missing Riley and Roxy, who are at the bridge
    and my precious Bella 11-2-07 - 05-6-12

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

Tinker's mom is offline Village Royalty

I'm glad you feel better and hope you have success with the challenges.
    Jackie,Mom to Robbie & Stacy my human children and Tinker my furkid.

Bugoneal is offline Village Featherpug

Probiotics are a must - along with yogurt if you can have it. Greek yogurt is my go to when my IBS flares along with my RA - they seem to trigger each other. Anyway I also use probiotics daily - I've never done any type of elimination process so that might be interesting for me too. I don't do much dairy as I know that is not good for my gut and I try to curb the sugar- both will sometimes flare my RA. My daughter-in-love has ulcerative colitis so we would talk often about what did and didn't work. She is very bad and takes biologic meds. Hopefully medicine advances so she doesn't have to get a colostomy!
    ~~mary - loved by Colbie the Vizsla Pug, plus many featherpugs! Remembering our heart pugs Bug and Sugar at the Rainbow Bridge with Sissy the Chihuahua Pug

Quote Originally Posted by Bugoneal View Post
    Probiotics are a must - along with yogurt if you can have it. Greek yogurt is my go to when my IBS flares along with my RA - they seem to trigger each other. Anyway I also use probiotics daily - I've never done any type of elimination process so that might be interesting for me too. I don't do much dairy as I know that is not good for my gut and I try to curb the sugar- both will sometimes flare my RA.
    Thanks Mary, for sharing your story. Yes, I do take probiotics daily. I've never been fond of yogurt, but I used to eat it once or twice a week because I figured it was good for me. For the time being, I've eliminated it completely, in case the small amount of lactose in it was bothering me. I've tried lactose-free yogurt and don't care for the taste of that either.

Quote Originally Posted by Bugoneal View Post
    My daughter-in-love has ulcerative colitis so we would talk often about what did and didn't work. She is very bad and takes biologic meds. Hopefully medicine advances so she doesn't have to get a colostomy!
    My co-worker's college age daughter has UC, was finally diagnosed about a year ago after many, many stays in the hospital and struggling badly with it. She's been on and off steroids and other drugs for the past year, trying to get it under control. Drugs help, but not enough for her to live normally. They are already talking colostomy if they can't get it under control with the drugs. Her doctor's never tested for or suggested gluten-free, but since celiac runs in her family, her mom suggested she try gluten-free and she is finally gaining some weight back and starting to feel a bit better. So, there may be a combination of celiac and ulcerative colitis going on with her. I feel so badly for her... such a young age to deal with all of that!
    CountryPug likes this.
    Village Moderator

Forever in our hearts:
    And my Heart-Dog...

Bugoneal is offline Village Featherpug

Keep on working your plan - we have to be so proactive when it comes to this particular set of gut diseases. My daughter-in-love is also allergic to the sulfur drugs so biologics have worked a bit better. Maybe your co-worker's daughter can try them Symphoni (sp) Humera (both are self administered shots) and another that starts with an R - that is administered via infusion monthly. It might work for her daughter too. Hang in there - there's answers out there!
    ~~mary - loved by Colbie the Vizsla Pug, plus many featherpugs! Remembering our heart pugs Bug and Sugar at the Rainbow Bridge with Sissy the Chihuahua Pug

Humera, that's it! I knew that her daughter was on a self-induced shot, just couldn't remember the name until I saw it. The Humera is very expensive, but thankfully her insurance covers most of it. It has helped manage her symptoms, but still not "enough." I will tell my co-worker about Symphoni and see if she's familiar with it. Thanks!
    Bugoneal likes this.
    Village Moderator

Forever in our hearts:
    And my Heart-Dog...

+ Reply to Thread