Turmeric--For Me?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Turmeric--For Me?

Rugbysmom is offline Village Royalty

DefaultTurmeric--For Me?

I have arthritis & am just generally feeling my age! I'm out of shape & know I need to exercise more.....I don't enjoy it, & when I do try to exercise anyway, my body (especially hips & legs) hurt a lot, so I thought I'd try some turmeric for myself. I bought a brand that says turmeric curcumin with ginger powder 500 mg per capsule & it says to take 1 capsule per day with a meal. It doesn't have the pepper ingredient in it, so now I'm wondering if I just wasted my money. Also I'm wondering if it is safe.....
    Rugbysmom

Rugby 7/10/02 - 9/28/15 Miss you, little girl! You're always in my heart!

Molly DOB: 7/6/04

LilyFayre is online now Village Tea Pug

I’m sure it’s safe, but from what I understand the combination with black pepper is supposed to improve the body’s ability to utilise the uptake of curcumin from the turmeric. That’s the same reason they say to take it with food as the fat content in the food also aids absorption. I’ve found that it really works to stop the crippling pain I had in my left hip from osteoarthritis.

I’ve also lost just over 28lbs in weight since January, so gradually been able to walk further without pain and total exhaustion - a 3 mile walk into town and back with my grandson in the pushchair is easy now. I wouldn’t say that I’m dieting as such, just mainly avoiding processed foods and found that I actually enjoy my main meals of fresh baked salmon, trout or chicken breast with boiled salad potatoes and fresh vegetables far more than I ever did the processed stuff and can have larger portions of the fresh stuff too!

I honestly don’t know if it’s contributing to the weight loss, but I’m also taking olive leaf extract capsules (that have stopped the constant UTIs I kept getting) and drinking mainly Japanese green tea during the day.

My current issue is now tinnitus. Not so much the whistling noise, but the blood pulsing sound that my doctor seems to be concerned about so I guess that will be an ENT referral.....
    Rugbysmom likes this.
    Suzie
    Bree, Xanthe and Darwin

Tinker's mom is offline Village Royalty

I think it's safe also, try it and see if it works. My cousin takes it and it has helped her a lot. You may have to adjust the dose up to get more relief. If you don't see a rheumatologist a visit might be worth your time for a consult. Water exercises are the best for arthritis because they take all the weight off your joints.
    Rugbysmom likes this.
    Jackie,Mom to Robbie & Stacy my human children and Tinker my furkid.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

Loconn55 is offline Village Royalty

Yes, it's a powerful anti-inflammatory used by many cultures for centuries. Pepper and coconut oil enhance its effects, so I make golden paste for my pugs: turmeric, coconut oil and fresh-ground pepper — the piperine in the pepper potentiates the turmeric. Sometimes capsules include it. Here's the recipe, if you want to make it: https://www.turmericlife.com.au/blog...s-golden-paste
    Rugbysmom likes this.
    See Lisa's (6 Beautiful Pugs) 'wishlist' for her grumble at the Rusty Pug Retirement Ranch and help them out at:http://www.amazon.com/gp/registry/wi...ref=cm_sw_su_w

Bugoneal is offline Village Featherpug

I believe it is plenty safe but I also imagine you could empty the capsules and add pepper to make your own golden paste to mix with whatever works for you. No waste of money, blah, blah, blah...... and you still begin feeling better. Remember things like this often take as long as 3 months to "feel". Rooting for you!
    Rugbysmom likes this.
    ~~mary - loved by Colbie the Vizsla Pug, plus many featherpugs! Remembering our heart pugs Bug and Sugar at the Rainbow Bridge with Sissy the Chihuahua Pug

Lu Ci and Ri Ki is offline Village Ya-Ya

Quote Originally Posted by Bugoneal View Post
    ..........Remember things like this often take as long as 3 months to "feel"............
    Glad to read this, Mary. I have been taking Turmeric with Black Pepper Extract for a couple of weeks now and can't tell any significant difference in my shoulder and back pain. I'll at least finish the capsules I have and then decide if I want to continue.
    Bugoneal and Rugbysmom like this.
    We never touch people so lightly that we don't leave a trace.

GordonBrunoPugMom is offline Village Royalty

I use a high dose Tumeric supplement for my arthritis. My physician told me to up the dose.
    I cut sugars and gluten and my symptoms improve.
    I do use Essential black pepper oil with a carrier oil and roll it on my finger knuckles .
    I did take ginger but it is rough if you do not drink enough water .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Rugbysmom likes this.

Lu Ci and Ri Ki is offline Village Ya-Ya

How high of a dose of Turmeric do you take, GordonandBrunoPugMom? Maybe I'm not taking enough.
    Rugbysmom likes this.
    We never touch people so lightly that we don't leave a trace.

GordonBrunoPugMom is offline Village Royalty

Quote Originally Posted by Lu Ci and Ri Ki View Post
    How high of a dose of Turmeric do you take, GordonandBrunoPugMom? Maybe I'm not taking enough.

She told me to take 2000mg
    I gotta say the pepper oil works temporarily for pain in my fingers very well , I take to Roller with me to apply multiple times a day . For the knees the roller is not dispensing enough.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Loconn55 is offline Village Royalty

Thanks for the dosage tip, GordonBrunoPugMom. I've been trying it myself, and like Lu Ci Y& Ri Ki, haven't noticed any improvement.
    See Lisa's (6 Beautiful Pugs) 'wishlist' for her grumble at the Rusty Pug Retirement Ranch and help them out at:http://www.amazon.com/gp/registry/wi...ref=cm_sw_su_w

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast