questions about raw food
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: questions about raw food

pug love is offline Village Mayor

Default questions about raw food

I'm thinking of buying raw pre made food but the bags seem so tiny. How long do they last? I read for the patty's pugs get 1/4 to 1/3? That seems like nothing lol. Also does anyone get the food from amazon? I am looking for the cheapest place to get it. I am thinking of Stella and chewy pattys. I know nothing about buying raw but I want to try it.

6 Beautiful Pugs is offline Village Caretaker of the Old & Broken

Be careful ordering raw online. If it gets delivered and you happen to be gone, it can thaw and ruin the whole shipment. Better to get what is available locally. Depending on your dog's age and activity level, they will get 1/2-1 (burger-sized) patty per day, split into two feedings. There are usually 12 patties to a sleeve, so that means it will last one dog from 24-12 days, depending on how much they get. Flood the meal with water, it makes them feel more full and is good for their bladder and kidneys.

Take care,
    Lisa
    In a gentle way, you can shake the world.

- Mohandas Gandhi

Okay I will look locally plus that saves me shipping money. Thank you very much I would of had no clue about the water.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

Tinker's mom is offline Village Royalty

I'm using Stella & Chewey's freeze dried raw because I can't find any locally and didn't want to have the thaw problem. I order online at MrChewey's .com, that maybe another option for you to consider. I buy the large bag and it lasts almost 2weeks, I feed 2 patties in am and 1 1/2 pm.You have to add water to these as well.
    Jackie,Mom to Robbie & Stacy my human children and Tinker my furkid.

CSollers is offline Village Sugar Daddy

Due to the nutrient availablity in a high quality raw food, your Pugs won't need to eat as much. Ours get 6 ounces a day split into 2 meals. Since there is minimal fillers, they'll poop less also. It's a win/win situation.
    Chris, owned by Minni the diva, and "Sugar" Ray the ever hungry.
    Ray has since crossed the bridge but stays forever in my heart. I love you, Boo Boo. Oscar Wilde Thang has joined the family.
    DH to Ellen , DD to Lindsay and Carrie

Jackie yea I live by you and I googled that brand and your right no where here has it. The natures variety is suppose to be sold in new Bern at nauti paws so I'm gonna call them and see the prices. C roller that makes sense at first I was like no way that's not enough but I see now. Thank you guys for all the info

Ok I found somewhere locally its called natures variety and its chubs? How much of a chub would you feed?

MopsMeister is offline Village Mayor

Once again I'm reminded of my age. I've never heard of these products. So, what exactly is the stuff? Is it some form of frozen meat?
    "The things that come to those who wait are nothing more than the leftovers from those who got there first"

pugtown is offline Village Admiral

I use the premade patties in Natures Variety and Primal. They are 8 ounces. The new duck flavor (Natures Variety) is lower in fat. I give 1 patty. But if you buy the chub, you'll need a scale to measure out the amount you're going to feed, 6-8 ounces.

pugtown is offline Village Admiral

Quote Originally Posted by MopsMeister View Post
    Once again I'm reminded of my age. I've never heard of these products. So, what exactly is the stuff? Is it some form of frozen meat?
    Yes these are brands of commercial frozen raw/freeze dried dog foods. The frozen you keep in the freezer of course, but the freeze dried kind is shelf stable but more expensive. There is also dehydrated raw dog foods (although some will say it is not quite raw as the temperature of dehydrating will slightly cook it). There are many many brands and of course different quality just like kibble. Some raw foods are too high in fat which indicates they use lesser quality cuts of meat. For instance, I used to use Natures Varity Beef. It has been reformulated so it has the exact same amount of protein as fat! Not what you want for dog food. You have to calculate each formula out to dry matter to know exactly what protein and fat you're getting.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast