Help with 1 year old pug
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Help with 1 year old pug

hnijhar is offline Village Puppy

Default Help with 1 year old pug

l, so i have a 1 year old and a couple of old month pug. he is fawn and has been neutered. ive got a couple of questions:
    1. My dog stands on his two feet onto the cupboard where i put his treats and begins scratching there and barking and whining/crying. what should i do?ive tried moving his treats somewhere else but he figures out and begins scratching at that place, i dont want to put the treats in the garage because it is convenient for me to leave them close to where i am because then i can give him a treat fas, unless this is the only thing i can do

2. When ever i am eating my dinner, he will stand up and rest one of his paws on my chair and start staring at me and my food' it looks like hes saying, give me some food, because he will eye me then the food and back. if i dont give him anything he begins to cry and whine and stare.
    what should i do?

thanks

Pugpillow is offline Village Royalty

Puppies and young dogs are like small children and need the same firm, consistent but loving discipline. Sounds like he needs some obedience training. It also sounds like you have given in and fed him from the table occasionally. This is a big no-no. He will have to unlearn this begging behaviour. Unfortunately you are going to have to ignore his pleading eyes and insist that he take his paw down from the chair. You are the one to set the boundaries, but you must be consistent. Personally, I don't give treats unless I am training a new dog or doing agility training. You can consult with a canine behavioural trainer for help.
    "You cannot afford to subject your animals, or your children, to medical interventions that you do not understand. The belief system upon which the conventional medical model is founded is so faulty, so corrupt and so dangerous that you simply cannot afford to follow blindly." Catherine O’Driscoll http://www.whale.to/vaccine/driscoll1.html

Hilary & the Pugpillow Gang: Rescues: Denver (10), Tina (7), Murdoch (5) and chihuahua puppy Maximus Spartacus. Always loving my angel-girl Mei-Ling (1994-2009), my cutie-patootie Kim-Soo (1995-2010), my precious Daisy-Bo (1998?-2006), my sweet boyfriend Jake (1997-2010), my little black beauty Betsy (1995-2010), my sweet old grumpy man Gooey (1996-2011), and my sweet gentleman Farnsworth (1998-2012) at the Bridge.

hnijhar is offline Village Puppy

Thanks for the advice, i will just move his treats to the garage, and rarely give them to him, because arent treats supposed to be given when your dog does something good, my dog never does anything good, he only trys to be cute. lol. Ill stop feeding him from the table too then.
    Thanks again

+ Reply to Thread