UK PUG OWNERS - Pure Pet Food?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: UK PUG OWNERS - Pure Pet Food?

kobwes is offline Village Puppy

Smile UK PUG OWNERS - Pure Pet Food?

I've just come across this company - they're UK based which is great for me, but don't seem to have much publicity yet, so its hard to find any independent reviews. I was intrigued as I'm looking to move away from dry food and want something I know is nutritional and balanced, and keeps my pugs well hydrated. I ordered a trial of their chicken and duck flavours and they both licked their bowls clean (they can be fussy!). I'm obviously yet to test the longer term effects but I'm hoping it may work well for allergies and minimising UTI's/crystals - because I can add as much moisture as I like.

I know its probably not for everyone, and home cooked/raw will ultimately be better, but this seems a good option for those who don't have time to prepare meals themselves. Obviously you can still supplement with extras if you like, give bones etc.

I'm thinking of ordering a large bag to see how I find it, but just wanted to share the link and get some opinions.

Here's the link: Pure Pet Food

I'll let you know how I'm getting on with it in a few months!

emilina is offline Village Governor

From the website it would appear that the meat isn't far off raw, it seems as though it's only very lightly cooked.

From my untrained eye it looks like a great food. I've not long swapped to a locally produced high protein and grain-free kibble but I am actually tempted to order a sample bag of the pure.

karine is offline Village Governor

Yeah it looks like the closest thing to raw to me and its grain free too, its expensive though! Looks like a nice website ect, i looked at trying to find raw foods in england and struggled!

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

Karine - I had exactly the same problem finding a supplier in the UK. These guys look quite new to the market.

Emilina - I'm by no means an expert on this subject, so its good to see what other people think. I'm just looking for something that fits in with our lifestyle (easy to prep) but don't want to sacrifice quality.

It is slightly expensive but the biggest bag (4kg) does make 16kg of fresh food once its rehydrated, and its 54.99. I know a 10/12kg bag of decent dry food is usually at least 35-40, and wet food is slightly more...so for me it might be worth the extra cost for the jump in quality! But like I said, I've only trialled it and don't know how good it is as a long term option yet.

If you do order a trial bag, make sure when you add the water it is quite warm, and mix it well. The first meal I did wasn't warm enough and the food took a while to rehydrate fully. With the second one I added warmer water and it worked great. Much easier for impatient pugs!

Wow Karine I hadn't noticed that! It works out at about 1.10 per day for an estimate for Pugsley at the moment. My current kibble works out at around 50p/day. I was tempted but it doesn't look good enough to be double what I'm paying now.

OP, in case you're interested, I feed Moorlands kibble (link Home) the grain-free salmon and potato version. I flood his food with water and let it soak for 5 minutes to get plenty of water in him. Since switching, Pugsley's tummy has become nice and pink, he loves the food, his gas is almost non-existant, his poos are nice and dark and quite dry and much smaller thank before :) I'd definitely recommend it for that but as in my earlier post, this is from an untrained eye.

CSollers is offline Village Sugar Daddy

One thing you'll need to remember when thinking about food cost versus food quality. Life long feeding of a quality food will most likely result in reduced vet visits and expenses over the life of your Pug.
    Last edited by CSollers; 07-31-2013 at 07:19 AM.
    Chris, owned by Minni the diva, and "Sugar" Ray the ever hungry.
    Ray has since crossed the bridge but stays forever in my heart. I love you, Boo Boo. Oscar Wilde Thang has joined the family.
    DH to Ellen , DD to Lindsay and Carrie

karine is offline Village Governor

I think (trying to convert it) it's 38p a day to feed Lawrence on my pre made raw diet, shame it's not sold in England! Csollers makes a very good point, and if you have the means to buy good food then I say go for it, because in England it's seriously limited- quite shocking really!
    Last edited by karine; 07-30-2013 at 07:43 AM. Reason: Hadn't finished typing!

Quote Originally Posted by CSollers View Post
    One thing you'll need to remember when thinking about food cost versus food quality. Life long feeding of a quality food aill most likely result in reduced vet visits and expenses over the life of your Pug.
    Exactly my thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by CSollers View Post
    One thing you'll need to remember when thinking about food cost versus food quality. Life long feeding of a quality food aill most likely result in reduced vet visits and expenses over the life of your Pug.
    Oh don't get me wrong I agree completely. From my research the kibble I use is equivalent to bigger names priced much higher, I guess that's because it's a fledgling company. The effects it's had on Pugsley are great and I believe that it is good quality and nutritious for him. I'd have no problem paying more to get an equivalent if the brand ever stopped being produced or if I found one that gave benefits over and above what we are getting now.

Emilina - I did have a quick look on the link you gave, and I agree the kibble you use looks a lot better than the big names on the market!
    emilina likes this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast