Puppy Feeding Questions
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By shaynapug
  • 1 Post By Nina_W

Thread: Puppy Feeding Questions

MamaR is offline Village Mayor

Default Puppy Feeding Questions

So, we will be bringing our sweet baby home this weekend, and I have a few questions regarding food/feeding him.

Right now he is on Purina Pro Plan (wet puppy food), and they just started adding in dry puppy food (softened with water) this week.

We are going to be feeding him Nature's Choice Small Breed Puppy - and I am planning to switch him over slowly as not to mess with his sensitive tummy.

Would you continue to feed the soft food as well, and then switch to all hard food? Or can I simply move on to only hard food (softened with water) once he is with us?

He will be 7 weeks old when we pick him up. - I am not sure when they get their puppy teeth and what the normal puppy protocol is. We haven't had a puppy in 6 years! LOL

Thanks in advance! :)

shaynapug is offline True Village Royalty

I would slowly lessen the canned. I always do put canned in my guys food...puppies get more than adults..

I would add the kibble slowly....and by 8 weeks, he should be on kibble that is not soaked before feeding...so gradually lessen the softness of it! I do add water just before feeding.

He should be on 3-4 meals a day until 8 wks old....or leave food with him.
    MamaR likes this.
    Diane
    Shayna Pugs
    http://www.midmichiganpugclub.com
    Member of PDCA Rescue Committee

MamaR is offline Village Mayor

Quote Originally Posted by shaynapug View Post
    I would slowly lessen the canned. I always do put canned in my guys food...puppies get more than adults..

I would add the kibble slowly....and by 8 weeks, he should be on kibble that is not soaked before feeding...so gradually lessen the softness of it! I do add water just before feeding.

He should be on 3-4 meals a day until 8 wks old....or leave food with him.
    I was hoping you would chime in, you are such a great help with puppy questions! :)
    Thank you for the information - all of that makes perfect sense and is totally do-able!

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

tommyarmour is offline Village Puppy

I too have some puppy feeding questions. Our two male pugs are almost 12 weeks old. I feed them half cup each of diamond brand puppy food two times a day. I have given them numerous chew toys. They never seem to be at a end in chewing things up. Is there any suggestion for chew toys? Am I feeding them enough? And finally we have a wild rabbit in our yard. And these little guys will not stop eating rabbit turds. Any ideas? Is rabbit poo safe?

Nina_W is offline Village Story Teller

Rabbit poo is and isn't safe. If it carries disease, it's not safe (parasites especially are a concern). If it's a healthy rabbit, the droppings are a great probiotic, and can often contain vitamins and minerals that are quite good for them.

They won't be able to get enough to chew until they're done teething (and sometimes a bit beyond that) - four to six months it when it's typically put. Nylabones, bully sticks, kongs, frozen banana, raw bones (not weight bearing ones - go for ribs, backbones, shoulder blades, skulls) from sheep, pigs (if healthy), cows, venison are great. Never cooked - cooked bones splinter.

As for feeding them enough, are they growing well, without being very fat? If so, probably yes. It sounds a bit much to me, actually, but each pug is different and will need different amounts of food.
    CSollers likes this.

tommyarmour is offline Village Puppy

Quote Originally Posted by Nina_W View Post
    Rabbit poo is and isn't safe. If it carries disease, it's not safe (parasites especially are a concern). If it's a healthy rabbit, the droppings are a great probiotic, and can often contain vitamins and minerals that are quite good for them.

They won't be able to get enough to chew until they're done teething (and sometimes a bit beyond that) - four to six months it when it's typically put. Nylabones, bully sticks, kongs, frozen banana, raw bones (not weight bearing ones - go for ribs, backbones, shoulder blades, skulls) from sheep, pigs (if healthy), cows, venison are great. Never cooked - cooked bones splinter.

As for feeding them enough, are they growing well, without being very fat? If so, probably yes. It sounds a bit much to me, actually, but each pug is different and will need different amounts of food.
    Thank you much for all the great idea's. As far as we can tell the local bunny is very healthy. Must of been a local pet that escaped. He is very friendly and will let us pet him daily. The rabbit has been around for 4 years now and lives under our back porch. Very clean and beautiful coat of brown fur. We are not opposed to catching him and bringing him to a rabbit farm if there is more concern than not.

The 2 pups we have, Otis and Pugsley are quite different. Otis is the fawn and smaller and eats less, Pugsley is the Brindle and has lots of extra skin and is noticeably a larger dog. Usually I put a 1/4 cup of food into their bowl's at 6-6:30am and I take another 1/4 cup and split it between the two bowls. Otis finishes eating and pugsley eats the rest of Otis's bowl or the switch up often. But in all reality Puglsey is going to have to be watched in the future for weight gain. Otis is the more hyper and eats less. And Pugsley mellow and eats more. So we are working on their patterns still.

I've been buying them smoked pig ears(expensive suckers), Puppy Congs, and lots of play toys. And I made the mistake of eating a delicious steak for my wife's birthday and brought home the bone. They acutally fought viciously for this bone. I had to take it away and go to the garage and saw the bone in half. I couldn't break it. I won't be doing that to them again. I eat steak once every 4-6 months I figured that would be their special days. I thought wrong. :(

I will keep in mind the other suggestions as far as treats. And maybe cut their food back to a little under 1/2 cup each in the morning(since they play together all day and burn that food easily. Then cut them to a 1/4 cup each at night. Ive read a full grown adult eats 1/2 cup in the morning and a 1/2 cup at night. On the other hand adults don't play and run as hard as puppy's so I get a little confused about the amount's. I just want to make sure they remain healthy perfect weight pugs. And it's just amazing how little they actually have to eat.

I will probably start my own thread, for more questions. I don't like busting in on other's threads. But seemed appropriate at the time. :)

Thanks again,

Tommy
    Last edited by tommyarmour; 12-31-2013 at 10:19 AM.

+ Reply to Thread