• 2 Post By Cazanmolls
  • 2 Post By Snifter
  • 1 Post By Rossy
  • 1 Post By Cazanmolls

Thread: New pup owner - Bad to feed mainly kibble diet? UK

Piggles is offline New to the Village

Question New pup owner - Bad to feed mainly kibble diet? UK

Hi there,

We are getting our new pup next week and I had planned on feeding him a kibble based diet - but the highest quality one I could find ie Wainrights or James Welbeloved (all natural with no bad grains & fillers) alongside whatever wet food or veg is recommended.

At the moment, the breeder is feeding him Hills and raw food with some goats milk.

My questions are:-

1) is it bad to feel only a high quality kibble as their main diet with the addition of meat/fish (cooked) and veg where required.

2) as a puppy on 3 meals a day, should I be including meat if it's mainly a kibble diet and when do I feed him veg?

My sister is a bio med scientist that works in animal science labs (testing for diseases - NOT testing on the animals!) and she told me to "avoid the raw meat as the ones fed on that come in with the most parasites and disease"

I'm not saying it's bad so please don't take offence as I know some prefer it, - but we only eat meat occasionally and it's always a high quality organic/free range meat so we can't afford (yet) to feed the dog this on a daily basis. Until we can, I don't want to feed it cheap stuff 😔

I've seen mostly raw food diet on the forum so I'm completely flummoxed as to what is suitable. I know I might have to change it down the line if he has any allergy/medical issues.

Thank you!
    Rossy likes this.

Cazanmolls is offline Village Mayor

A puppy should be on four meals a day when you bring him/her home.
    And keep them on the food the breeder feeds for at least a few weeks so as not to upset the tummy.
    When you do swap over to the food of your choice slowly does it change over should take a week to ten days.
    Again so as not to upset the tummy.
    I feed Wainwrights grain free dry and an equal amount of Wainwrights grain free wet trays.
    My pugs do very well on this mix.
    Rossy and Piggles like this.

Piggles is offline New to the Village

Hi there!
    Thanks for replying. He will be 8 weeks but 4 meals a day even for longer is fine with me as I work from home anyway and it spreads it out so he doesn't eat too much in one sitting.
    I know you have to introduce the new food slowly by replacement method so that's no problem.

When you feed them dry & wet, do you mix the 2 together for each meal? or alternate it at each meal?

What do you give them as treats for training in between? Someone suggested raw carrots or fruit but not sure if pups will be ok on this?

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

Snifter is offline Moderator/Village Merchant

Cereal free JWB is absolutely fine but start with what the breeder feeds and switch gradually. I have more to say but have to go to bed now. Will try to return to this.
    Rossy and Piggles like this.

Bella, mummy to Snifter and Toddy!

http://avrilmunson.wordpress.com

Rossy is offline Village Mayor

I'm in the UK too, and we feed our little one Acana (Great quality kibble) check out dog food adviser, but here is a link ACANA Biologically Appropriate Dog and Cat Food | Acana Pet Foods .co.uk, Orijen has also worked for us too. We like Acana as the kibble is very small and Samoo is majorly fussy when it comes to size of kibble and taste. We mix the kibble with a topper. Sometimes a bit of chicken, sometimes some vegetables.

We used to give Samoo carrots as treats as we wanted him to be healthy whilst we were training him. Now he is a bit older he likes a whole carrot (frozen) that he chews on for hours!

Samoo also loves Sprouts, but I have read that too many in one sitting can cause problems (as with us humans!), so if he has sprouts we mush them up and only use 2 or 3 per day (with his kibble)

Good luck!
    Piggles likes this.

Follow Samoo on Instagram for a chuckle: SAMOO_PUG

Cazanmolls is offline Village Mayor

You will get lots of different advise on what to feed everyone's got there own preferred favourite lol
    But I mix the two together at each feed I don't like feeding just dry on its own.
    But as I said that's my preferred way.
    As for training treats fish4dogs do traing treats tiny stars ideal for puppy's.
    My dogs get fish skins and salmon and potato biscuits made by mariners choice
    Piggles likes this.

+ Reply to Thread