Itchy pug
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Christyrose444

Thread: Itchy pug

Christyrose444 is offline Village Puppy

Default Itchy pug

I am new to the pug breed, my husband is not, but I am the one at home taking care of her. Our pug is about 8 months old and she is constantly chewing on her legs and paws. I am currently giving her a fish oil supplement and that has really helped but she still occasional chews on herself. I was wondering cause pugs have so many grain allergies if I should put her on a grain free diet to see if that helps the itching. I do make her homemade dog bisquits that are grain free but she still is eating purina puppy chow for her food. If I switch to a grain free food does it have to be a puppy food or can it be an adult dog food? Thank you!!

Lu Ci and Ri Ki is offline Village Ya-Ya

Once I switched my Pugs to grain-free food their itching and chewing themselves stopped. I've had great results with Taste of the Wild kibble and canned food and it's quite affordable. Check out Dogfoodadvisor.com and pick the best grain-free food you can afford. At 8 months old she can be on adult food.
    We never touch people so lightly that we don't leave a trace.

Thanks so much! We have a tractor supply and I heard the brand 4Health is a good grain free food. Have you heard anything about it, it seems to be reasonably priced and they have grain free can food too. I'm new to this whole grain free thing, it's a little overwhelming trying to figure out what brand and flavor I should get her :)

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

Pug Auntie is offline Village Admiral

I cook for my 4 but do use some dry. We have found Acana & Orijen grain free to work the best and switch between them.
    Where in Fl are you located?

We are in the Panhandle..near Eglin afb..just moved here so I'm not familiar with the area yet. I do not have the time to cook for the dogs ( I have another rescued chihuahua mix) but need to find a good grain free food that's affordable and which flavor (chicken or salmon) is best to feed our pug.

Lu Ci and Ri Ki is offline Village Ya-Ya

I checked on DogFoodAdvisor.com and 4Health is rated 4 star so that's good. I actually rotate between proteins. One of my Pugs (Lu Ci) is allergic to chicken so I rotate between the salmon, boar and venison (both kibble and canned). It's actually good to change up the proteins.
    We never touch people so lightly that we don't leave a trace.

Nina_W is offline Village Story Teller

Just in case, have you checked for fleas? Checking out better food is definitely a good idea, but just to be safe.

She doesn't have fleas, both our girls have never had fleas, she is mostly an indoor dog. Thanx for looking up that food, I am going to pick some up this week.

Thanx everyone for all the help! I'm a new pug mom and this has been the best site to get advice from people who actually know the breed! :)
    Lu Ci and Ri Ki likes this.

+ Reply to Thread