Pug usually always gets sick from store bought treats, why?
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By Snifter
  • 2 Post By Pug Auntie
  • 1 Post By Pug Auntie
  • 1 Post By Tinker's mom

Thread: Pug usually always gets sick from store bought treats, why?

Stewie is offline Village Puppy

Question Pug usually always gets sick from store bought treats, why?

Hello everyone
    My pug is a year old and we always have treats in hand for him. We usually get them from the dog section in the supermarket. The ones I choose are usually the ones with 90% meat, to avoid any bad ingredients. My pug doesn't seem to have any allergy problems or anything, he eats kibble with lamb chicken rice etc. however when we give him most treats he usually gets diarrhea? The one we recently bought is the Vitakraft lamb and it is just sticks of lamb meat, the ingredients are only 90 or 95% lamb meat and preservatives. After eating them he was feeling normal and acting normal but just had runny poo.

The confusing thing is that he also eats the Vitakraft beef sticks with 90% meat and he is completely fine after. Does anyone have any suggestions on why this is happening?

Mom to Lucy is offline Village Admiral

I'd compare the ingredients... maybe there's something in the lamb version that doesn't agree with his tummy?
    Christine
    Servant to Lucy the pug, wrangler of Bunny the crazy EP, mom to one human child, wife to a wonderful hubby, and entertained by a tank full of fishies.
    Forever missing our Bugsy Francis - 04/13/05 - 05/24/17.
    https://pugspancakes.blogspot.com/

The ingredients are the same, that is why I am confused. The only difference is the meat, but i don't understand why lamb would be irritating his tummy..

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

Snifter is offline Moderator/Village Merchant

Lamb is too rich for my Toddy.
    Lu Ci and Ri Ki and Stewie like this.

Bella, mummy to Snifter and Toddy!

http://avrilmunson.wordpress.com

Pug Auntie is offline Village Admiral

I would not get them anymore. Something is not agreeing with him.

Try the Honest Kitchen Beams. It's 100% dried fish skin nothing else. Product of Iceland, non GMO and all natural. They do have a strong fish smell but my 4 love them and know where the box is kept.

Sometimes what you get in supermarket is sourced from China even if it states made in USA.
    Lu Ci and Ri Ki and Stewie like this.

I feel so bad for giving it to him! I guess his little tummy can't handle it

I also recently ordered the kibble food Greenwoods Adult – Lamb & Rice, I am assuming the lamb wont be as rich but do you think it would still cause problems?

Pug Auntie is offline Village Admiral

I was trying to find out about Vitakraft lamb treats and where they are made. One link did mention Asia and another link was company was sold in 2013/2014 so maybe ingredients changed.
    I keep sliced red pepper for treats too.
    I would think as long as you introduce the new food mixed with what you are feeding him now he should be okay but the lamb could not be agreeing with his tummy.
    Where are you located? I like Acana dry.
    Stewie likes this.

I had previous bad experiences with store bought treats, with different brands and ingredients so I am starting to think it has something to do with those artificial preservatives.
    Thankfully my little buddy enjoys fruit as much as I do, so we like to share some apples, bananas once in a while

I live in Europe, in a very small country so it is quite hard to find some good quality brands. I order my pet supplies from a website called zooplus, I did see the brand Acana dry being sold there. I used to use Royal Canin but I found out so late that the main ingredient is corn, and hard to digest so I wanted something organic and Greenwoods seemed to be worthy to try, it is made in the UK, hypoallergenic and seems very good quality. I am just hoping that Stewie does not have problems with the ingredient lamb.

Tinker's mom is offline Village Royalty

Tinker eats dehydrated raw and the only problem protein is lamb. You can try the food but if it's the lamb, he'll probably have the same issue.
    Stewie likes this.
    Jackie,Mom to Robbie & Stacy my human children and Tinker my furkid.

Thanks a lot for all your answers

The food arrives soon, hopefully he wont have the same issues

+ Reply to Thread