Raw feeding?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Raw feeding?

MiniMastiff is offline New to the Village

DefaultRaw feeding?

I have been researching raw feeding and learning the pros and cons. It's a bit confusing though since so many different opinions exist.
    Does anyone here have any personal experience with the raw diet and which recipe you use?
    Also, in the case of pugs did raw feeding seem to make their teeth better and less tartar, or no difference? Any decrease in shedding? An increase in energy, or better overall health?
    I'd love to know some personal experience on Pugs who have done raw.

Nina_W is offline Village Story Teller

We feed raw. We almost always feed a commercially prepared brand - we now circulate between three vet formulated brands, the market has expanded considerably.
    Technically we feed a BARF style raw food - 80% meat and organs, 10% bone, 10% vegetable matter.

I have made raw, I have used the recipe here, and also copied the ingredients lists off of bought raw food (a bit of research helps you figure out how much of what supplement is the right amount). There are good books too - look for ones that are AAFCO approved.

On raw food, when we switched over, her fur was nearly immediately healthier, softer and shinier. She was on a quality kibble before we switched, this was over three years ago.

She sheds much less than my childhood pug did, though she also isn't nearly as heavily coated as he was. She still sheds, but it is much better than kibble fed dogs typically shed. She never went through a seasonal shed on kibble, we switched before she would have had her first significant shed, so we have no data there to report.

Since we had a dental just yesterday, I can tell you the vet was really surprised and pleased at how good her teeth looked for a dog of four. This is definitely helped by the raw meaty bone component of their diet, where about twice a week they get a bone to gnaw in stead of a minced meal.

Her overall health is really great. Blood tests are a little different on raw fed dogs than they are in kibble fed dogs, they look more like the tests of a human athlete on a controlled diet would compared to a normal human. But her tests always look very, very healthy.
    A big difference is how a raw fed dog feels when you get your hands on them. Kibble dogs often feel a bit 'doughy', soft and not well defined, while raw fed dogs feel firmer, more muscular. They aren't necessarily more muscular (muscles don't grow from nothing), but they do feel firmer.
    Her eyes are also wonderfully clear and healthy looking, as are her ears - no issues with either of those.

So I feed raw. It is my conviction that this is the very best diet I can feed my dog - a conviction shared by many on this forum, specifically our own local pug hospice angel, Lisa, 6beautifulpugs is her village name. However, I'd be being dishonest if I did not immediately say that you should make this decision based on your own research.

Here is reading from a very skeptical view of raw, which given how enthusiastic the proponents can be, is worth a look:

Raw Diets for Pets | The SkeptVet

That blog concludes that because we do not (yet) have clear clinical evidence supporting the feeding of raw, we should be cautious and not feed raw.

I disagree, given that the only evidence we have is no clinical evidence to the contrary. There is abundant anecdotal support (biased as this may be). There is my own experience, and the simple health and vitality all of my dogs display. There is also the issue that by its very nature, clinical food trials cannot, do not, reflect how we feed our dogs at home.

There are some longer term studies under way, one quite promising keeping an eye on dogs in their natural home environment, which I look forward to the results of, but we're years away from that.
    Loconn55 likes this.

WalterH is offline Village Mayor

We switched to Raw Feeding about 6 months ago and its the best move we ever made and we really wish we have done it sooner instead of being so scared about it.

Walter was on grain free dry kibble but every few weeks we were having to change or add wet food to it as he just lost interest and would starve himself and started losing weight, after chatting to lots of people on a local Pug and snorter group and getting feedback from those al;ready feeding raw we decided to give it a go. We use Nutriment which comes already prepared and all we do is defrost in the freezer over night and 1 tub lasts 5 meals (2.5 days) its so easy and simply.

Walter is absolutely thriving on it, he gets so excited and goes crazy around the kitchen when he sees the tub. Hes never missed a meal in the 6 months we have doing it and he is loving life (apart from him bad back at the moment :( )

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

puglover18 is offline Village VP

I have used raw since Zuko was three months old, he's now three years old. He loved it immediately. I also use the commercially prepared food, Stella & Chewy. I haven't found that it helps with shedding (does anything with a pug...), but it's a small price to pay for loving a pug, though his coat is beautiful, healthy and shiny. I cannot answer about the tartar either, because he's young, but his teeth are in good shape. His elimination works perfectly and all is well in the world for him! He's got a good life, what can I say, but he deserves it!
    I would say give it a try, your dog will love you for it!
    Mommy to Milo ~ Apriil 1, 1997 - August 26, 2013 ~
    ~Always in our Hearts ~ Never Forgotten ~
    Mommy to Zuko born on November 9, 2013

jenstar124 is offline New to the Village

Hey all! I just joined the forum in hopes of getting others opinions on raw feeding. I just started my 2 dogs on a raw diet last week. Mainly, I've been giving them 4 oz of chicken daily, a hard-boiled egg, grass-fed greek yogurt, 2 tsp coconut oil, salmon oil, and crushed egg shells. I give them Honest Kitchen Preference meal mixers as a source of veggies, fruits, and vitamins but it's only about 1/4 of a cup a day. My dog Brutus (pug/chihuahua mix) is currently on the mend from a yeast infection and has horrible environmental allergies. We know they're all environmental because he never had issues until we moved to Dallas and we're told it's the capital of the country when it comes to dog allergies. I see that most of you buy commercial and i can imagine that it's much easier than making it at home. However, being in Texas, I have some amazing and cheap sources for high-quality meat sources right from the farms that include all grass-fed beef and chickens, including their organs.

My questions are:
    -should their food be based on a caloric count daily or by weight? Currently, they're both supposed to get ~440 calories a day per my calculations but I see a lot of people instead feed based on weight
    -how long does it take to see an improvement in skin?

there's just so much conflicting information online and I have no idea where to start! Any help is appreciated.
    What a beautiful world it would be if people had hearts like dogs

Nina_W is offline Village Story Teller

It doesn't matter if you feed by calorie count or by weight - it comes to the same thing. Enough food for them to live healthy, energetic lives without putting on excessive weight. More crucially is that you measure, in some way.

We saw an improvement in the skin/fur nearly immediately, but we don't have allergies.

CSollers is offline Village Sugar Daddy

We have fed our Pugs a prepared raw diet for years and they are thriving. Nina has provided you a complete answer so I won't bore you with repetition.
    Chris, owned by Minni the diva, and "Sugar" Ray the ever hungry.
    Ray has since crossed the bridge but stays forever in my heart. I love you, Boo Boo. Oscar Wilde Thang has joined the family.
    DH to Ellen , DD to Lindsay and Carrie

gemayer is offline Village Princess Puggy Pants

Gracie, Jon Jon and Macie have been on a raw diet for 10 yrs I make their food. It contains every thing theyneed for their health Gracie was 22 when she passed away Jon Jon is 18 and Macie is nine they have done great on this food I don't care what the people say about it it has really work for us.
    22 years of love at rainbow bridge Gracie and Jon Jon, now joined by Macie my heart pug for 14 years.

Tinker's mom is offline Village Royalty

I feed a prepared raw and it made a huge difference in Tinker's energy and overall health.
    Jackie,Mom to Robbie & Stacy my human children and Tinker my furkid.

Jenb is offline Village Mayor

Curious if anyone has had any problems with bacteria or parasites when feeding raw? My pug always has her tongue all over the kids mouths and sleeps with her chin on their pillows, I would love to try raw in the future, but I'm not sure if it would be safe for my house?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast