ADVICE WANTED - We just can't find the right food!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: ADVICE WANTED - We just can't find the right food!

Sleepy is offline New to the Village

Default ADVICE WANTED - We just can't find the right food!

Hello everyone!

First time poster here. We have a wonderful little black pug called Molly, she is just over a year old.

We are having problems with finding the 'right' food brand for her. Here's a run down of her food history...

Olivers
    Taste of the Wild
    Acana

She started on Olivers (chicken) which is what the breeder used and sent us home with. We found that the potato content in it actually made her anal gland leakage much worse! So we stopped with that and were relieved to see she has stopped 'fishing' as we call it, on all of our clothes

So we tried Taste of the Wild - Pine Forest (vension), it was ok but it seemed to make her itchy, she was always itching her ears and the vet suggested a food allergy. However they (of course) tried the hard sell of their Royal Canin hypoallergenic food which is full of grain... and we feel there's too much evidence, with pugs atleast, that grain can make their teeth fall out in later life. So that's not an option for us.

Right now we are using Acana Grass Fed Lamb and Apple. Acana has been highly reccommended to us but in a way it has been the worst for Molly as it has made her so constipated after a few week/months on it that she is having pain from trapped wind/gas.

Has anyone had a similar experience or has a dog food that they find works well for their pug?

Looking forward to your advice, thanks in advance :D

Nina_W is offline Village Story Teller

Have you considered raw?
    CSollers likes this.

Sleepy is offline New to the Village

Hi, thank you for your quick reply

We will definitely consider it as an option. Just hadn't really thought to do it so far as kibble is so easy and hadn't heard much about people's experience with it

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Sleepy View Post
    Hi, thank you for your quick reply

We will definitely consider it as an option. Just hadn't really thought to do it so far as kibble is so easy and hadn't heard much about people's experience with it
    it's not really any harder to do than kibble... takes up more freezer space, though. :P

Mine are all on raw, and we're very happy.
    CSollers likes this.

CSollers is offline Village Sugar Daddy

Quote Originally Posted by Nina_W View Post
    it's not really any harder to do than kibble... takes up more freezer space, though. :P

Mine are all on raw, and we're very happy.
    Our Pugs thrive on a raw diet. Prepared raw is easy but like Nina stated, it does take freezer space.
    Nina_W likes this.
    Chris, owned by Minni the diva, and "Sugar" Ray the ever hungry.
    Ray has since crossed the bridge but stays forever in my heart. I love you, Boo Boo. Oscar Wilde Thang has joined the family.
    DH to Ellen , DD to Lindsay and Carrie

Exodus is offline Village Puppy

Our pup gets Raw food on an occasion the only consideration with doing so is making sure your pup gets in regularly for teeth cleaning :) otherwise for kibble we have had extremely good luck with Nutro (Small Breed & Puppy) When shes over at my parents house she likes Blue as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Exodus View Post
    Our pup gets Raw food on an occasion the only consideration with doing so is making sure your pup gets in regularly for teeth cleaning :) otherwise for kibble we have had extremely good luck with Nutro (Small Breed & Puppy) When shes over at my parents house she likes Blue as well.
    This is actually a myth - kibble does not clean teeth. Brushing teeth cleans them, spending time scraping meat off bones seems to clean them, but kibble does not clean teeth.
    In all likelihood, the grains (sugar) in kibble is a primary contributing factor to tooth decay.
    CSollers likes this.

GordonBrunoPugMom is offline Village Royalty

This will be journey. I would say look at the ingredients and Analyses. Start a chart.
    I believe less/limited ingredients are better, specially if you have to find food what works for your pug.
    Stay away from corn, wheat etc. most dog food allergies are based on gluten rich ingredients.
    I am not sure how much protein pugs need but my Gordon is rather on the lazy side. Your dog is 1 year old and might be a lot more active.
    This is a trail and error thing unfortunately.
    I was feeding Instinct limited ingredient until they changed the formula. Now I am feeding "Only Natural Pet EasyRaw Dehydrated Dog Food" and use their kibbles for training treats.

CSollers is offline Village Sugar Daddy

There are many pertinent articles on the dog food advisor website. www.dogfoodadvisor.com.
    Lu Ci and Ri Ki likes this.
    Chris, owned by Minni the diva, and "Sugar" Ray the ever hungry.
    Ray has since crossed the bridge but stays forever in my heart. I love you, Boo Boo. Oscar Wilde Thang has joined the family.
    DH to Ellen , DD to Lindsay and Carrie

sassismom is offline Village Original Southern Dame

Not sure if it's available there but I love Chicken Soup for the Soul! Even my vets have said the ingredients are better than other kibble! Mine are less gassy, no leakage, allergies are now only the seasonal weeds etc! Good luck (um did we mention how much WE LOVE PUG PICTURES?)
    "A life without pugs is possible but pointless." Vicco von Bülow My Sweet Babies until we meet again at the Bridge Sassi (1998 - 2011) Angus (2005 - 2017) Meelah (2005 - 2018) Sissi (2011 - 2019) Cecil (2018 - 2020)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast