• 1 Post By GordonBrunoPugMom
  • 2 Post By Wonka & Nilla
  • 1 Post By CSollers
  • 1 Post By Tuck and Ag's Mom
  • 2 Post By Renee

Thread: Honest Kitchen Fish skins -small size review

Tuck and Ag's Mom is offline Village Admiral

Default Honest Kitchen Fish skins -small size review

Lolli canít have bully sticks anymore but really needs something to chew on so we gave these a try after our vet recommended them. They stink horribly (but could be just because I really really dislike anything that lives in water) however, both Lolli and Murphy are huge fans.

The vet assured me that even if they swallow more than they should at once itís still ok. When we lived in Minnesota we used to be able to get skate tails for the dogs to chew on but they were hard and I worried about Tuckerís teeth so while these are dried fish skins they are not nearly as hard. They have been chewing away for 20 minutes now and are happy as can be so I guess I will have to tolerate the stinky fishy smell occasionally for them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Nancy
    Mom to Lolli and Murphy
    Forever in my heart Aggie, Tucker and Frank

GordonBrunoPugMom is offline Village Royalty

Why canít she have bully sticks ? We stopped giving any chews unless the dentist approves .
    We got a few boxes of these but they need to be supervised. Gordon only licks the stuff off.

Here is a list of dental approved items
    http://www.vohc.org/VOHCAcceptedProductsTable_Dogs.pdf

Tuck and Ag's Mom likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by GordonBrunoPugMom View Post
    Why can’t she have bully sticks ? We stopped giving any chews unless the dentist approves .
    We got a few boxes of these but they need to be supervised. Gordon only licks the stuff off.

Here is a list of dental approved items
    http://www.vohc.org/VOHCAcceptedProductsTable_Dogs.pdf
    With all of Lolli’s anal gland issues and rectal infection the vet wanted us to take her off grain and beef, he said the latest research shows that those two have been identified to increase anal issues He said the fish skins are good for their coats and have other health benefits. I do have to say 3 weeks in to grain free and no bully sticks so far she has not had any recurrence of those problems but she has only been off the pred and antibiotics for almost a week so it is a little to early to say if the issues are gone.
    Wonka & Nilla and Renee like this.
    Nancy
    Mom to Lolli and Murphy

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck and Ag's Mom View Post
    With all of Lolliís anal gland issues and rectal infection the vet wanted us to take her off grain and beef, he said the latest research shows that those two have been identified to increase anal issues He said the fish skins are good for their coats and have other health benefits. I do have to say 3 weeks in to grain free and no bully sticks so far she has not had any recurrence of those problems but she has only been off the pred and antibiotics for almost a week so it is a little to early to say if the issues are gone.
    I got to say my vet did not see anything with Bruno. We noticed he had no issues traveling . We are moving to KY this summer I wonder if his are environmental allergies and they go away.
    Anyway I will check the skins after I ask the vet because of Gordons problems.

Wonka & Nilla is offline Village Dancing Jitterpug

Love the pictures! Glad you found something for Miss Lolli!
    Wonka and Nilla always loved the Honest Kitchen Fish Skins!!! We haven't tried Beanie with them, but I'm sure she'd love them, too. You are right though about the STINK! I don't really eat fish myself and don't like the smell, but the pugs sure love it.
    Tuck and Ag's Mom and Renee like this.
    Village Moderator

Mom to Miss Jelly Bean "Beanie" Licorice Pug
    Forever in our hearts:
    Miss Nilla Sassafras Pug August 17, 2002 to April 19, 2018
    And my Heart-Dog...
    Wonka the Dancing Pug, CGC, W-FD, W-TFD.
    Februrary 11, 2005 to May 10, 2020. Miss you, sweet boy!

CSollers is offline Village Sugar Daddy

Our kids love the fish skins but the odor is worse than Bully sticks, IMHO.
    Chris, owned by Minni the diva, and "Sugar" Ray the ever hungry.
    Ray has since crossed the bridge but stays forever in my heart. I love you, Boo Boo. Oscar Wilde Thang has joined the family.
    DH to Ellen , DD to Lindsay and Carrie

Quote Originally Posted by CSollers View Post
    Our kids love the fish skins but the odor is worse than Bully sticks, IMHO.
    100%.
    Nancy
    Mom to Lolli and Murphy

Default Honest Kitchen Fish skins -small size review

I went out for a pet store with Bruno for a training session.
    I used the opportunity to look at the fish skins . They did not carry the honest kitchen variety but I looked at the loose once in the snack aisle. Talked to the employee and he said people come in and buy every single one they have . I had a total different idea of what they are. They are very light weight , not hard at all. So the dentist wonít mind. I put two in my basket and go back to teach Bruno some store manners.
    Once home husband and I decided to give one to each dog. I am always worried about Gordon he is on multi function prescription food for bladder stones and allergies. Both were ecstatic and eager to try . Gordon gave up on it after a minute or two and I am glad he is not fond of it. But then , then Brunoís skin got slimy and wet . What the **** who in the right mind brings those things in their house ? Perhaps it is a great choice for Huskies and Malamute Sled-dogs who live outside ?
    A sweat little pug who sits on your lap to chew his bone .....
    Bruno insists itís snowing outside itís just the right treat ... Yeah boy NOT ON MY LAP

Last edited by GordonBrunoPugMom; 01-14-2019 at 07:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GordonBrunoPugMom View Post
    I went out for a pet store with Bruno for a training session.
    I used the opportunity to look at the fish skins . They did not carry the honest kitchen variety but I looked at the loose once in the snack aisle. Talked to the employee and he said people come in and buy every single one they have . I had a total different idea of what they are. They are very light weight , not hard at all. So the dentist won’t mind. I put two in my basket and go back to teach Bruno some store manners.
    Once home husband and I decided to give one to each dog. I am always worried about Gordon he is on multi function prescription food for bladder stones and allergies. Both were ecstatic and eager to try . Gordon gave up on it after a minute or two and I am glad he is not fond of it. But then , then Bruno’s skin got slimy and wet . What the **** who in the right mind brings those things in their house ? Perhaps it is a great choice for Huskies and Malamute Sled-dogs who live outside ?
    A sweat little pug who sits on your lap to chew his bone .....
    Bruno insists it’s snowing outside it’s just the right treat ... Yeah boy NOT ON MY LAP

Yeah I probably wouldn’t enjoy having it eaten on my lap either but my guys stayed on their own with them and thankfully the smell goes away pretty quickly since they don’t last long.
    Renee likes this.
    Nancy
    Mom to Lolli and Murphy

Renee is offline Village Mayor

Our girls love the fish skins too. Hubby hates when they are chewing them because the fish smell is pretty strong, but it's a healthy chew and makes them happy! Puggies overrule hubby, hahaha

+ Reply to Thread