Homemade Food / Diabetic - Gassy Pug - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Homemade Food / Diabetic - Gassy Pug

Wonka & Nilla is offline Village Dancing Jitterpug

Bone meal is one of many forms of Calcium you can use to balance out the phosphorus in home-made dog food. We chose to use Calcium Citrate, there is also Calcium Carbonate. Sometimes you will read where a certain type is preferred for disease/health reasons. For example, the "Fuzzer Food" protocol for dogs that form Calcium Oxylate Stones recommends Calcium Citrate. But for most dogs, Bone Meal is perfectly acceptable. Years ago when we fed home-made raw (we cook Wonka's food now), we actually used egg shells to get the calcium needed. Dry them in the oven and then pulverize them in something like a coffee grinder. The tricky part with any home-made meal (in my opinion) is to get the right amount/ratio of calcium.
    Village Moderator

Mom to Miss Jelly Bean "Beanie" Licorice Pug
    Forever in our hearts:
    Miss Nilla Sassafras Pug August 17, 2002 to April 19, 2018
    And my Heart-Dog...
    Wonka the Dancing Pug, CGC, W-FD, W-TFD.
    Februrary 11, 2005 to May 10, 2020. Miss you, sweet boy!

Bean is offline Village Puppy

Yes, this is the tricky part, and why it is so important to know the ratio's of all of it. This has been the most difficult part for me to figure out. Which is one of the reason's I wanted to get onto a forum like this, and try to get some basics from my vet. I realize all vets are not well versed in nutrition, so anything I find out is helpful.

Especially with this dang pancreatitis. UGH ! But, good news is that we think Bean's pancreatitis is on the mend, as her glucose reader is actually reading numbers, and is not reading HIGH all the time, which has been a pain, as her glucose has been so effected by the pancreatitis. But, looks like we have a break thought, which is sooooooooooo good. Bean's reading are improving these past couple days, I'm so relieved. She's such a clever Pug.

So, now I have to incrementally add home cooked food, mostly just boiled chicken or tilapia fish to her Hills prescription food, until she's weaned off of totally. This will take a couple weeks.

Still keeping an eye on her pancreatitis. I'll be glad when she's free & clear of that horrible pancreatitis it's awful :(
    TTFN~
    Kay
    Bean's Mom
    Who ever said "Diamonds are a girl's best friend" never owned a Pug~ :}

Wonka & Nilla is offline Village Dancing Jitterpug

So happy to read that she is recovering and her glucose readings are coming down a bit! Hooray!
    Bean likes this.
    Village Moderator

Mom to Miss Jelly Bean "Beanie" Licorice Pug
    Forever in our hearts:
    Miss Nilla Sassafras Pug August 17, 2002 to April 19, 2018
    And my Heart-Dog...
    Wonka the Dancing Pug, CGC, W-FD, W-TFD.
    Februrary 11, 2005 to May 10, 2020. Miss you, sweet boy!

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

Lu Ci and Ri Ki is offline Village Ya-Ya

I'm so happy to hear that Bean is doing better. I'll be praying for her complete recovery.
    Bean likes this.
    We never touch people so lightly that we don't leave a trace.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123