Canned vs. dry food
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By Tuck and Ag's Mom
  • 2 Post By Wonka & Nilla

Thread: Canned vs. dry food

MBM09 is offline Village Mayor

DefaultCanned vs. dry food

Anyone have any opinions on one that’s better? I’m thinking of switching to wet. My pug is getting older and I’m just trying to make some changes to hopefully prevent issues and keep him healthy.

Is canned better? Can I feed him JUST canned or should I mix it with kibble?

MBM09 is offline Village Mayor

DefaultCanned vs. dry food

Anyone have an opinion on these 2? Is canned better for dogs? Thinking of alternating with the kibble.

Tuck and Ag's Mom is offline Village Admiral

You’ll find lots of differing opinions on this question. I had always fed mostly dry with a little wet mixed in but then Lolli started having UTI issues and I had to do a lot more research. I now only feed home cooked, unless there is an emergency or no possible way to give them home cooked and then I will only give them a quality canned with grains. If you choose to feed dry my advice would be to add water to it, best if you can let it soak but at a minimum add extra water so your pup receives adequate amounts of water.
    Nancy
    Mom to Lolli and Murphy
    Forever in my heart Aggie, Tucker and Frank

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

Wonka & Nilla is offline Village Dancing Jitterpug

I agree You will find a lot of differing opinions on this, but personally I feel that wet food is best. That means either a quality canned food, a rehydrated food that is like canned after it is soaked (such as Honest Kitchen foods) or a homemade food that you create from a recipe. Any of these will have much more moisture and, quite often, better ingredients (unless you are feeding a really crummy, cheap canned food).

If you do feed kibble, add water as mentioned above. A lot of people claim that kibble is necessary for oral health because it "cleans the teeth" as dogs chew ... My pugs don't "chew" their food! Wonka inhales food like a vacuum and while Beanie may occasionally crunch something once, she doesn't actually chew it. But, even if she did, chewing would just turn the kibble into mush that would stick up in her teeth the same or worse than a wet food. So, if people want something that will clean the dogs teeth, a toothbrush is best, or if that's not possible for whatever reason, either special chew toys that don't break down while being chewed and mush up in the teeth or there are water additives that some people have had a lot of luck with.

Bottom line, in answer to your question... yes, you can feed only canned if you want. As for recommendations, each pug is unique so it's hard to recommend one particular brand... but you could always start with a canned food made by the manufacturer of his current kibble food. Almost all kibble makers also have a canned version.
    Village Moderator

Mom to Miss Jelly Bean "Beanie" Licorice Pug
    Forever in our hearts:
    Miss Nilla Sassafras Pug August 17, 2002 to April 19, 2018
    And my Heart-Dog...
    Wonka the Dancing Pug, CGC, W-FD, W-TFD.
    Februrary 11, 2005 to May 10, 2020. Miss you, sweet boy!

+ Reply to Thread