+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Henfinn
  • 1 Post By Tuck and Ag's Mom
  • 2 Post By Henfinn

Thread: Food allergies

Henfinn is offline New to the Village

Hello all! I am new here!
    Introduction of my boy, his name is Finn, he turns 3 in August. He is currently on Orijen dog food, recently he has been licking his paws, they are light reddish brown in between his pads, I took him to the vet this morning to get him checked out. They said he more then likely has food allergies but didn’t even confirm saying it, they weren’t very helpful. I know dog allergies can be difficult to pinpoint, haven’t had much experience with dogs with food allergies, any help is appreciated! To start we are going to put him on Farmina skin and coat that only has duck as the protein as I know chicken is a main allergen. If nothing changes, we may just start making his food at home, my last dog whom we had to put down in January had a lot of health issues and was on a raw diet at home because that’s what worked best for him. Am willing to do raw for Finn! Any advice is greatly appreciated!
    Last edited by Henfinn; 03-28-2020 at 12:47 PM.
    HeidiHoog likes this.

Tuck and Ag's Mom is offline Village Admiral

Sorry that Finn is having issues. My first thought is could it be environmental, such as pollen outside, new fertilizer etc? When my guys have issues with itchy paws I have generally found it to be environmental so I make sure to wash their paws when they have been out, and when I know there are outside factors (high pollen, yard just fertilized, pest control etc.) I also will apply a mushers wax before letting them out and starting a Claritin or Benadryl protocol. Most people will tell you food allergies are pretty rare and very hard to diagnose but I do know my current pugs have issues with any type of fowl when given as a protein source, they tend to scratch more and have other skin issues. The best way to determine if it’s a protein issue is to do an elimination diet and track how they react to proteins and such. Hope you figure out what’s going on with him.
    Lu Ci and Ri Ki likes this.
    Nancy
    Mom to Lolli and Murphy
    Forever in my heart Aggie, Tucker and Frank

HeidiHoog is offline Village Admiral

I hope you are able to figure out what is going on with Finn. Changing his protein is a great start. I have my Otis on a fish based food and he does great on it! Hope Finn is able to get some relief soon.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

Henfinn is offline New to the Village

Thank you for your response! I was thinking it may be environmental as well, we currently live in Iowa and the season is changing, lots of rain lately and such. The only reason I think it might not be environmental is because it started a few months ago, around December when it was still winter. We originally thought it was just an irritation with the ice melt, living in an apartment we don’t have much say on what our landlord uses, so we just made sure to rinse his feet really well coming inside and bought some stuff to protect his feet. We even gave him so epson salt soaks for his feet when we bathed him. Then winter ended and no more ice melt, and it’s still here. We are going to try some allergy meds to see if it helps, if anything it will just help with his itchiness. Good to know about the fowl though! I will keep that in mind.

+ Reply to Thread