HELP! Pug not eating -- picky or allergies?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: HELP! Pug not eating -- picky or allergies?

ashleysupinski is offline New to the Village

QuestionHELP! Pug not eating -- picky or allergies?

** UPDATE **

Thank you SO MUCH to everyone who posted to help out! Gus is doing a lot better over the last few days (minus the heat). I've changed back to his original food and mixed in half of a scrambled egg. He's been eating and seems to be overall happier. You guys are the best!

Hi, Everyone!

I'm a pug momma to a 3 y/o black and white Pug, Gus Gus. I've been seeing some issues with his eating lately, and before I went to the Vet, I wanted to see if anyone else in the community could help. :)

Gus used to eat great. Then, he started to stare at his food for a while before eating. Now, he barely eats. He'll look at it and walk away. I try to leave dry food down, but we have another dog (Annie, a cavachon), and she tends to gobble his food, too.

Originally, I was feeding them Purina Incredibites, Chicken flavored, with chicken breast on top. Then, I switched to Beef flavored, because the store ran out of the chicken one. In the last few weeks, I've tried Purina Pro Plan Protein (because the vet said he needs to lose weight), and I just purchased Purina Grain-Free.

Any suggestions on what might work to help? I've tried cheese, ham, and broth.

Thank you!
    Last edited by ashleysupinski; 06-06-2020 at 07:13 PM.

PenguinsFan1 is offline Village Puppy

DefaultHELP! Pug not eating -- picky or allergies?

Quote Originally Posted by ashleysupinski View Post
    Hi, Everyone!

I'm a pug momma to a 3 y/o black and white Pug, Gus Gus. I've been seeing some issues with his eating lately, and before I went to the Vet, I wanted to see if anyone else in the community could help. :)

Gus used to eat great. Then, he started to stare at his food for a while before eating. Now, he barely eats. He'll look at it and walk away. I try to leave dry food down, but we have another dog (Annie, a cavachon), and she tends to gobble his food, too.

Originally, I was feeding them Purina Incredibites, Chicken flavored, with chicken breast on top. Then, I switched to Beef flavored, because the store ran out of the chicken one. In the last few weeks, I've tried Purina Pro Plan Protein (because the vet said he needs to lose weight), and I just purchased Purina Grain-Free.

Any suggestions on what might work to help? I've tried cheese, ham, and broth.

Thank you!
    Hello, I would try and mix vegetables into your Pugs food like green beans and carrots, boil some potatoes etc... Also try lean cooked hamburger and fish. Stay away from breading and spices. I have my Pugs on a grain free Gluten free food, mixed with vegetables or meat. I also give them pork and ham, steak. I do not give them any fowl/poultry proteins like chicken, turkey, duck (The only exception is eggs scramble a egg once and a while in your microwave my Pugs love them) Because they maybe allergic to bird type food. There is a blood test your vet can give your Pug to see if he is allergic to that kind of meat. I personally donít think he needs on a diet type of food. Just donít give him table scraps. A lot of snacks and only half a cup of food in the morning and half in the evening. Any snacks should be nutritious and gluten free. Like strawberries, blueberries, baby carrots etc... Donít give him ice cream, milk to drink. Whipped cream etc... Try this and you should be successful Best Of Luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by PenguinsFan1; 05-31-2020 at 06:45 PM.

shaynapug is offline True Village Royalty

I would take him to the vet and have him checked over. Could be his teeth are bothering him.....or other issues! Better to rule that out and then go to allergies etc! Is the kibble larger than the original kibble? That...especially is teeth involved...could be part of the problem.

Seeing good outcomes
    Diane
    Shayna Pugs
    http://www.midmichiganpugclub.com
    Chairperson of PDCA Rescue Committee

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

Lu Ci and Ri Ki is offline Village Ya-Ya

My first thought was an issue with his teeth, too, so I agree with Diane that a Vet visit is in order to rule out anything medical. I would probably try just soft canned food and see if he will eat that. We are programmed to think that they must have kibble but that isn't the case at all.
    Wonka & Nilla and LilyFayre like this.
    We never touch people so lightly that we don't leave a trace.

I agree with our other posters on this subject. I would definitely take your Pug to the vet if he still isnít eating normally.

GordonBrunoPugMom is offline Village Royalty

I certainly agree with a vet visit but my thoughts are :
    Your vet said he needs to loose weight .
    Did the vet not ask you about feeding ? What did he/she suggest for you to do to lower his calories ?
    Also to consider is some vets are not familiar with Pugs and tell you they are big .

You have switched food multiple times and if itís not done gradually can cause you dog to get sick.

Many Pugs like their routines and are not good with changes . They are set in their ways and your pug might just protest.

Feeding a Pug depends on is his age , health and ideal weight.
    A good quality food with a good source of protein.
    There are many options and everyone recommends something else . Itís confusing.
    You just have to pick one and go for it.
    Ask your vet after all and see what he says. It is important to form a relation ship with your vet so they get know your dog .
    2 to 3 feeding times a day
    Look at he feeding guide. Consider that dogs food feeding guides often over estimate (their business is selling dog food), so feed a little less.
    Count all snacks and treats and subtract from his daily amount of food. I use often just their kibble for training purposes.
    My Pugs have to earn some of their food.

Once you get back to a routine and have figured out what to feed your Pug you might want to have a extra bag of food at home . My boys eat hard to find prescription food . I keep extra food on hand because of the pandemic.

Keep us updated and hopefully the vet finds nothing and it it is just a stubborn pug thing .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

magnolia is offline New to the Village

Defaultpicky eater

Your dog must not feel well. Ham/cheese is not good for dogs. Too much fat. We found a grain free diet gave our dog bloody diarrhea. You can boil some chicken breast and mix it with some cooked white rice to see if you can get her eating again. I use Purina fortiflora (a probiotic) on top of the rice when my dog is not feeling well. She eats everything. You can buy the Fortiflora on Amazon without a prescription. We feed our dog Royal Canin low fat gastrointestinal diet. She likes it. Good luck.

FYI, you can call Royal Canin and talk to them about your dog.

DefaultHELP! Pug not eating -- picky or allergies?

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinsFan1 View Post
    I agree with our other posters on this subject. I would definitely take your Pug to the vet if he still isnít eating normally.

When my Pugs Throw up or have loose stool I cook them off ground beef drain of the fat. I then mixed cooked rice in with the hamburger itís a 1/3 ratio of hamburger to 2/3 parts rice. Their Vet usually recommends this for 3 days. I even will introduce some of their dry food in with the hamburger and rice after a few days.

DefaultThank you!

Quote Originally Posted by GordonBrunoPugMom View Post
    I certainly agree with a vet visit but my thoughts are :
    Your vet said he needs to loose weight .
    Did the vet not ask you about feeding ? What did he/she suggest for you to do to lower his calories ?
    Also to consider is some vets are not familiar with Pugs and tell you they are big .

You have switched food multiple times and if itís not done gradually can cause you dog to get sick.

Many Pugs like their routines and are not good with changes . They are set in their ways and your pug might just protest.

Feeding a Pug depends on is his age , health and ideal weight.
    A good quality food with a good source of protein.
    There are many options and everyone recommends something else . Itís confusing.
    You just have to pick one and go for it.
    Ask your vet after all and see what he says. It is important to form a relation ship with your vet so they get know your dog .
    2 to 3 feeding times a day
    Look at he feeding guide. Consider that dogs food feeding guides often over estimate (their business is selling dog food), so feed a little less.
    Count all snacks and treats and subtract from his daily amount of food. I use often just their kibble for training purposes.
    My Pugs have to earn some of their food.

Once you get back to a routine and have figured out what to feed your Pug you might want to have a extra bag of food at home . My boys eat hard to find prescription food . I keep extra food on hand because of the pandemic.

Keep us updated and hopefully the vet finds nothing and it it is just a stubborn pug thing .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Thank you, GordonBrunoPugMom! I went back to his regular food and mixed in some scrambled egg and he seems to be fine.

I've been going to the same vet since I got him, and they are all wonderful. Due to Coronavirus, this last time I didn't get to actually go into the vet room with Gus with the doctor, so I'm going to schedule another check-up in a few weeks. (Though, I usually take him there to get his nails done, since I the vet tech ladies are so good with him.) So I'm waiting to go into the building so I can chat with them.

Quote Originally Posted by magnolia View Post
    Your dog must not feel well. Ham/cheese is not good for dogs. Too much fat. We found a grain free diet gave our dog bloody diarrhea. You can boil some chicken breast and mix it with some cooked white rice to see if you can get her eating again. I use Purina fortiflora (a probiotic) on top of the rice when my dog is not feeling well. She eats everything. You can buy the Fortiflora on Amazon without a prescription. We feed our dog Royal Canin low fat gastrointestinal diet. She likes it. Good luck.

FYI, you can call Royal Canin and talk to them about your dog.
    Thank you! I stopped giving him the ham and cheese and moved to scrambled egg. (Thanks to the poster who suggested the microwave trick!) He's been doing a lot better. I think when he doesn't eat he's too hot now, since we don't have our AC turned on, yet. But I've been keeping an eye on him. I'm also going to look into that probiotic.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast