Honest Kitchen recognized for puppy mill stance
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Wonka & Nilla

Thread: Honest Kitchen recognized for puppy mill stance

Wonka & Nilla is offline Village Dancing Jitterpug

Default Honest Kitchen recognized for puppy mill stance

Since I'm a customer, I get emails from Honest Kitchen (a PugVillage supporting/sponsor member) and I was so impressed by this article today in their email:

We were incredibly honored and very humbled this week, to receive a plaque from the Humane Society of the United States, in recognition of our policy of never allowing our products to be sold in stores that sell puppies, and for being a part of the ‘humane economy’.

As you may know, we’ve refused to allow ‘puppy mill’ stores to carry our line since we first began, many moons ago, in 2002. Instead, we support pet supply retailers who host pet adoptions in their stores or work with local rescue groups. We also help educate people on how to find a responsible breeder (there’s a whole chapter devoted to ‘responsibly sourcing’ your new pup or older dog, in my new book Dog Obsessed, out October 10th).

The true cost of buying a puppy from a store—in terms of animal welfare, health concerns, and other problems—is unbelievable. Some people find it next-to-impossible to resist picking up that adorable puppy who’s rolling around in shredded newspaper behind a wall of glass. But if you buy one of these dogs, you’re doing more harm than good on many different levels.
    Read the rest here: Recognition for our Stance on Puppy Mills | The Honest Kitchen Blog

Way to go, HK!! I wish all pet food companies took this stance!

Plus, as a bonus, the article has a photo of the company founder's black pug, Johnson. He's a blind, senior pug and just so cute!

Edited: I just realized, that can't be Johnson in the picture because the founder's pug on the boxes is fawn, not black. So I'm not sure who the cutie is in the photo!
    Last edited by Wonka & Nilla; 08-17-2016 at 11:20 PM. Reason: correcting info
    CountryPug and sugarskullz like this.
    Village Moderator

Mom to Miss Jelly Bean "Beanie" Licorice Pug
    Forever in our hearts:
    Miss Nilla Sassafras Pug August 17, 2002 to April 19, 2018
    And my Heart-Dog...
    Wonka the Dancing Pug, CGC, W-FD, W-TFD.
    Februrary 11, 2005 to May 10, 2020. Miss you, sweet boy!

honestkitchen is offline Village Mayor

Quote Originally Posted by Wonka & Nilla View Post
    Since I'm a customer, I get emails from Honest Kitchen (a PugVillage supporting/sponsor member) and I was so impressed by this article today in their email:

Read the rest here: Recognition for our Stance on Puppy Mills | The Honest Kitchen Blog

Way to go, HK!! I wish all pet food companies took this stance!

Plus, as a bonus, the article has a photo of the company founder's black pug, Johnson. He's a blind, senior pug and just so cute!

Edited: I just realized, that can't be Johnson in the picture because the founder's pug on the boxes is fawn, not black. So I'm not sure who the cutie is in the photo!
    Thanks so much for the support! The cute pug in the picture is Felix. He's on our customer service team and was rescued from a puppy mill!