Do You Use a Harness for Your dog?
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By honestkitchen
  • 1 Post By Wonka & Nilla

Thread: Do You Use a Harness for Your dog?

honestkitchen is offline Village Mayor

Default Do You Use a Harness for Your dog?

There are lots of reasons to invest in a harness for your dog.

They give you much greater control when you’re walking on a leash. If your dog pulls, a harness will prevent the throat or neck damage that can be caused by a tight collar. Harnesses make it easier to prevent jumping up.

Front or Back Clip?

When you’re buying your harness, the first decision is whether to buy a front-clip or back-clip model. On the front-clip versions, the leash attachment is in the center of your dog’s chest, whereas the back-clip models attach on top of a dog’s back or shoulders. Front clip models are often better for big dogs or pups who pull, since they give owners much more directional control. Back-clip harnesses may be more comfortable, come in a larger variety of patterns and styles, and tend to be better suited to small, calm dogs who are already trained not to pull or jump. Be careful about using back-clip harnesses on larger dogs, as the design can actually create a sled-dog effect that can encourage your dog’s natural instincts to pull harder.

Constricting or Not?

In addition to the front—and back-clip models, there are also harnesses that constrict—like a choke collar—when your dog pulls. While they can be effective, it’s highly recommended to speak to your vet before using a constricting harness on your dog, because they can cause damage to ribs, chest, and internal organs.

Kind of Material?

Next, think about material. Harnesses are available in leather, plastic, nylon, and many different kinds of fabric. Consider whether your dog is prone to chewing (get something sturdy), how much time your dog spends in the rain and/or playing in the water (get something that dries quickly), and how often your dog gets dirty (get something easy to clean).

Read More at The Honest Kitchen Blog.
    Wonka & Nilla likes this.

Wonka & Nilla is offline Village Dancing Jitterpug

Oh yes! Harnesses are a must for pugs!
    Thanks for sharing.
    Nina_W likes this.
    Village Moderator

Mom to Miss Jelly Bean "Beanie" Licorice Pug
    Forever in our hearts:
    Miss Nilla Sassafras Pug August 17, 2002 to April 19, 2018
    And my Heart-Dog...
    Wonka the Dancing Pug, CGC, W-FD, W-TFD.
    Februrary 11, 2005 to May 10, 2020. Miss you, sweet boy!

alix is offline Village Puppy

Can a recommend a good harness for a pug that pulls a lot? I have gotten burns on my wrist from walking him and am looking for a way to mitigate this. I don't see him often enough to train him to walk next to me so a different harness would be ideal. :)

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

honestkitchen is offline Village Mayor

Quote Originally Posted by alix View Post
    Can a recommend a good harness for a pug that pulls a lot? I have gotten burns on my wrist from walking him and am looking for a way to mitigate this. I don't see him often enough to train him to walk next to me so a different harness would be ideal. :)
    Hi Alix,

Please refer to this blog post that includes two recommendations on harnesses for dogs that pull: https://www.thehonestkitchen.com/blo...collarharness/