Hello from new rescue pug owner
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hello from new rescue pug owner

luluthepug is offline Village Governor

Smile Hello from new rescue pug owner

Hello!

We have just adopted Lulu - a rescue (breeder surrender) from Tennessee. Our vet estimates she's 7 or 8 - but VERY young at heart. She's a sweet girl, housebroken and great with our kitty and kids. This is our first family dog - but have always been obsessed with pugs.

She doesn't quite know her new name yet, and I'd like to have her bond with the kids more - any ideas for that? I suggested to my youngest (9) that she give her a treat this morning - she's very motivated by treats! We are going to bring her to training at Petsmart starting in December I think. I was thinking it would be good for her to settle in some before we do that - any opinions about that?

We've been trying to figure out what to do with her at night. In foster care she slept fine in the crate until the last few nights when she was let out and slept in the bed. She slept in the crate for the first few nights fine here, but last night she freaked out, barking and scratching at the crate for a good 40 minutes. I felt badly and took her out of the crate to see if she had to go to the bathroom. Of course, no, she didn't. Then I laid down on the couch with her and fell asleep. I know! Bad, bad, bad pug mommy!! She's SOOOO cute though!!

I felt bad - I have no idea what her history is with a crate and worry that perhaps it has bad memories for her. I do need her to be able to go in the crate when I leave the house (only for a few hours each day), but maybe we will re-think the bedtime routine and have her sleep with one of the kids (we're trying to keep peace with the cat right now and she usually sleeps on our bed) and sort of "retrain" her with a different crate we are getting today (we are using a large kennel/airline sort of crate right now). Like I said, we're learning!!

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated!

Kara
    (and Lulu who is sitting on the couch watching me type - she's very interested in technology!)

Last edited by luluthepug; 10-28-2010 at 05:12 AM. Reason: added photo

bumble is offline Village Hooker

I'm not sure what to do with training, but others will be along soon with answers. I just want to say from Chicago!
    Sheila, owned by Paddy the Wonderpug

Save the planet; it's the only one with red wine, chocolate, and pugs

6 Beautiful Pugs is offline Village Caretaker of the Old & Broken

Welcome!! And thank you for rescuing!

As for the crate, in order for her to see the crate as a positive thing, you must make going in there a happy experience. Give her all of her meals in the crate. When putting her in the crate for a short time, throw a couple treats in it. For longer stays, like overnight or when you are leaving the house, give her a frozen raw beef marrow bone, or a Kong stuffed with natural, salt-free peanut butter and frozen. This should be a very special treat, only for crate time. It will keep her mind and mouth engaged for a long time. You can get the bones at most grocery stores with a butcher, high end pet stores or a meat market. They are good for her too.

Soon she will eagerly spend time in her crate.

She will bond with your kids, but getting them involved in training will certainly speed up the process! So will sleeping in their bed.

Good luck! We are looking forward to pictures.

Take care,
    Lisa
    In a gentle way, you can shake the world.

- Mohandas Gandhi

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

Lu Ci and Ri Ki is offline Village Ya-Ya

Hello and to PugVillage. Thank you for rescuing Lulu. Look forward to getting to know you and your Puggie girl.
    We never touch people so lightly that we don't leave a trace.

Wally 'n' Leto is offline Pugzu Guru

Welcome and best wishes for your new family member! She sounds like a sweetie!
    Heather, Mommy to skinkid Toby and furkids Sir Wally of Pugzu and Duke Leto Prancypants the Fragrant.

Also Mom to Archer the Canadian X and Willow the Paint.

Main squeeze of high school sweetie Scot.

6 Beautiful Pugs is offline Village Caretaker of the Old & Broken

I read on your other thread that she has stitches in her mouth. In that case, don't give her any chew toys until her mouth is completely healed. You might want to put off the extended crate time until then.

Take care,
    Lisa
    In a gentle way, you can shake the world.

- Mohandas Gandhi

Three D's is offline Village Admiral

Welcome to the Village!
    Donna
    with Dave, and pugs Daphne and Olive

pugaddiction is offline Village Royalty

She sounds very cute, got any pictures. We also just rescued a male pug and he sleeps in our daughters bed with her at night, we already have a female pug in our bed. So I have no advice on the crating problem. Good luck.
    Pug Mom to Roxie
    Zoey (March 27, 2005 - February 23, 2015) and Eddie (October 2, 2010 - September 10, 2019) have moved on to the bridge

MuShu Mom is offline Village Royalty

No advice just yet, just wanted to say welcome to PV! Any pics?

ON THE EIGHTH DAY, GOD CREATED PUGS !

Hopelessly "Pugged" ,

Cheri

luluthepug is offline Village Governor

Default Little Lulu

I dip my pen in the blackest ink, because I'm not afraid of falling into my inkpot.
    ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

owned by Walnut and the Baby Buddha aka Wally & Baby
    Penny (big, black, fluffy cat)
    our guardian angel, Lulu,
    and forever young kitties Max, Clara & Bessie

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast