Hello! Need Pug Help, When to get a C Section!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hello! Need Pug Help, When to get a C Section!

Eliie is offline New to the Village

Question Hello! Need Pug Help, When to get a C Section!

Hello,

I've kept pugs all my life and recently lost my boy to old age, I've been looking for a while for a pug to rehome and long story short recently rescued a pug bitch from a back yard breeder and its become apparant that she is pregnant.

I've had a word with the previous owner and the father has to be a pug as thats all he has, he said he must have missed her season but obviously his boys didn't.

I've got her registered with the vets and he says everything is going well and she and bubs are healthy.

She's 16 months old and apparantly had a litter at her first season at 8 months, which she self whelped.

We've been doing our research and so far we've bought her a whelping box and lots of bedding, we've also found in our research that pugs

tend to be crap mums so we may have to hand rear the bubs, so we've bought lactol and bottles just in case.

We've been in touch with the vets and have all the details in case we need to have a caesarian, we know where to go and how much etc. and where to go if its out of hours, which it most likely will be.

Our question is this, we're fully prepared to take her and pay for a C section if she needs one, but when do we decide that she needs one?

My other half has bred working dogs before, so plenty of experience with whelping, but never had a dog need a C section, and they've had a bitch have 6 hours between puppies, and all be well.

So when do we decide that she's not just tired/resting/normal whelping stress and that she is actually in trouble enough to need a c section?

Any help appreciated :-)

Snifter is offline Moderator/Village Merchant

I'm not a breeder but if you can find a local breeder that could help you that would be good. I think that as your other half has had some experience of whelping that you probably just need to go on gut instinct. The vets will be able to give you some advice over the phone if you have doubts, and I guess that if you are at all anxious it is better to have her in at the vet being monitored.

Poor baby to have had her breeding life start so young. I am glad you rescued her.

Quite a lot of pugs aren't overly keen on motherhood although from what I hear most of them will allow the pups to suckle so long as you are around to force the issue a bit.

ETA - what part of the UK are you in?

Bella, mummy to Snifter and Toddy!

http://avrilmunson.wordpress.com

Candice07 is offline Village Governor

This thread is in another section also, and has been answered by kismet pugs with great details.
    http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5299/5412861229_3b17d3317d_z.jpg

+ Reply to Thread