Give a new Pug Mommy some advice? :)
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By Hellas
  • 1 Post By Tinker's mom
  • 2 Post By CSollers

Thread: Give a new Pug Mommy some advice? :)

ErniesMommy is offline New to the Village

Red face Give a new Pug Mommy some advice? :)

Hello! I just got my new puppy a couple weeks ago and Ernie is doing pretty well so far, just a few issues im having a bit of trouble working with him on...
    1] whining when he is gated in the hallway
    2] bladder control
    3] constant finger nibbling and biting on my ear!

Any advice?
    Ernie's Mommy and Biggest Fan :)

Hellas is offline Village Admiral

1. Pugs hate being alone, especially if humans are at home. I wouldn't recommend keeping a pug gated in a room without the rest of the family for more than short periods of time. If you need to keep him there, give him a kong stuffed with something nice. That way, he'll learn to connect being gated in the hallway with something nice.

2. How old is Ernie? It takes several months for a dog to get control of its bladder. It's just like a small child. One just has to be patient and take the puppy out often. Usually, you can't expect much bladder control before 4-5 months. All dogs are different. Some may mature sooner and some later. It's hard to answer your question since it's not that specific.

3. Typical pug puppy behaviour. All pug puppies do it and most of it, they simply grow out of. The most important thing is not to inadvertantly reward the behaviour. Try this: When she bites you too hard, give a loud yelp and put her down. Don't give her any attention at all for a minute or so. Be patient. With most puppies this will eventually work, but not with all.
    Fla. Pugs and Lola's Mum like this.
    Proud mama to puggies Winston and Ozzie, Slatan the Cat and Zino the horse.

Tinker's mom is offline Village Royalty

Sounds like typical puppy behavior! Patience, consistency and lots of praise and treats when he goes potty where you want him to.Redirect the biting with a chew toy and enjoy his puppyhood.
    Fla. Pugs likes this.
    Jackie,Mom to Robbie & Stacy my human children and Tinker my furkid.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

Beardsley is offline Village Mayor

Yup, I have a puppy, too, and those are my big 3. I think it's universal!

1.) If I have to leave him in his pen or whatever, I just ignore him when he barks/cries (especially when he's just gone potty so I can be reasonably sure he doesn't have to go). I'm still waiting for him to learn that barking/whining doesn't get him what he wants... Hoping he figures it out soon!!
    2.) Just comes with time... All I can say is, don't get too frustrated with the accidents. Just clean them up and move along!
    3.) When he bites, I either yelp, tell him "no!", or ignore him if it gets out of hand. If you find some other method that actually works, please let me know!!! :)

Thanks! Ernie is only 7 weeks, so i think he is doing okay for his age. However, my big dogs, despise him.

CSollers is offline Village Sugar Daddy

Quote Originally Posted by ErniesMommy View Post
    Thanks! Ernie is only 7 weeks, so i think he is doing okay for his age. However, my big dogs, despise him.
    They're just jealous because they're not Pugs!
    amyhow and ErniesMommy like this.
    Chris, owned by Minni the diva, and "Sugar" Ray the ever hungry.
    Ray has since crossed the bridge but stays forever in my heart. I love you, Boo Boo. Oscar Wilde Thang has joined the family.
    DH to Ellen , DD to Lindsay and Carrie

shaynapug is offline True Village Royalty

Quote Originally Posted by ErniesMommy View Post
    Be very very careful! Never ever not even for a few seconds leave them alone together!!!! If he keeps going after the older ones and you cannot divert him...crate him for a while! Puppies have no sense...and will keep at it...so the older ones need to be protected from those needle teeth!.

A 7 wk old puppy ...if given too much room ....will not housebreak! They need to be confined to small spaces.....no larger than a small bathroom if you're not gonna cage (but be ready for there to be accidents when they're sick or mad in there....and careful when you walk in during the middle of the night even when older! Been there ...done that!) The puppy needs a LOT of people interaction ....so while someone is out with the bigger guys....or they're outside....one of your family can be in playing with the puppy.......

As said...Patience, consistency, and love are the key!
    Diane
    Shayna Pugs
    http://www.midmichiganpugclub.com
    Chairperson of PDCA Rescue Committee

My hallway is pretty small, maybe 3x9ft..But he has his bed, a toy hammock, food and water, plus a puppy pad. Would you suggest putting him in a crate?

Ive been saying Ouch! It defers him for a moment. lol.

+ Reply to Thread