First time dog ownerbringing in pug puppy into home of three horrible cats. Please give advice~
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: First time dog ownerbringing in pug puppy into home of three horrible cats. Please give advice~

blackjack21 is offline New to the Village

Default First time dog ownerbringing in pug puppy into home of three horrible cats. Please give advice~

Hello!

I really need some help and advice. This is my first time buying a dog and I really have no idea how to do anything. My biggest problem is how to get my cats to get along with the pug. As of now I haven't yet bought the pug, but will probably do so in the next few days. My mother had dogs when she was young, but that was like 40 years ago.

We have three cats. Two of our cats are siblings about 3 years of age each. Vaska and Rosemary are siblings and Chekhov is a cat we adopted. Rosie and Vaska were very happy until we brought Chekhov into our home. Then she(Rosie) started acting angry and upset all the time and ignores both of them and hides. There is tons of spraying and peeing. It is just horrible.

I am very concerned about bringing a new dog into the home because I don't want my pug to be bullied or have all of the cats at war(more so than normal).

Btw, I live at home and I'm a student. So I'm poor and everything about taking care of the dog etc is all on my shoulders. I'm stressed. Please give advice and helpT.T;

newpugmomma is offline Village Governor

I hate to say this, but if you are already struggling, financially, then you shouldn't get a dog, much less a pug. Pugs are very high maintenance dogs and are very costly. They often have eye issues, skin issues, weight related health issues, and the list goes on. I often feel that I am one health problem away from not being able to care for my pug that I have had for only a year.

If you really want one, I would wait until you are out of school and in your own place. It sounds like you have had a rough time with your cats. You also sound very stressed out about bringing the pug in the mix of a rocky cat situation. Are you sure you want to do it?

If it is something you really want to do and are determined, you may want to look into a rescue..that way you can get a glimpse of the personality and see if he/she would get along with your cats.

Welcome to PV! I am not trying to convince you to not get a pug by any means. They are great dogs and very loveable. I would most definitely read through these boards to get an idea of what you are getting into(health wise, behavior wise, shedding, grooming, etc.)
    puglover22 likes this.

Tinker's mom is offline Village Royalty

I agree! A pug is a high maintenance canine alot of times with inherent health problems. Please concentrate on getting your cats problems solved before you put any other animal in the mix.
    puglover22 likes this.
    Jackie,Mom to Robbie & Stacy my human children and Tinker my furkid.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

newpugmomma is offline Village Governor

As for your issues with your cats...are they fixed? I am not a cat person but I think that fixing them could help with the spraying/peeing bit. However, I have heard that it doesn't always work. I would most definitely look into a way to get a professional behaviorist for your cats to see how to help that situation before moving forward with the pug.

myboysRmylife is offline Village Admiral

First off, welcome to the Village! I have to say, I got stressed just reading your situation. Please reconsider this until things are more settled! 'Pugs' plus 'poor' doesn't mix, and 'pugs' plus 'bad cats' really doesn't mix. I'd venture to say that nearly everyone here has had at least one unforeseen emergency with their pug, and probably more. I know I have! My pug has racked up several thousand dollars in expenses in the past year alone, and at least that much over his lifetime (this is over & above routine care). Please do yourself, and the dog, a favor and wait a bit. If you should decide to stick with your plans, don't be afraid to come here for help & breed knowledge!
    puglover22 likes this.

Estrella_Luna is offline Village Admiral

I agree with what others have said. My fiancee and I have both have full time decent paying jobs and sometimes we have a hard time when it comes to Phoebe's vet visits. Just to give you an example, the first year I had Phoebe I spent over $2,300.00 at the vet. That was with no sugeries or anything THAT serious. Also, that doesn't include food, treats, bed, toys, collar and harness (pugs always need to be in a harness). I'm sure you want that little pug puppy but I think for the sake of yourself, your bank account and your cats who are already experiencing severe turmoil, you should not get it. Also, if your cats have claws that is not going to mix well with the puppies vulnerable eyes. I'm glad you came here to seek advice and do your research but please wait on your purchase.
    Last edited by Estrella_Luna; 06-30-2012 at 10:13 PM.
    puglover22 likes this.

Star ~ Mom to Phoebe the Pug and the feisty felines, Garbo & Jubei
    "Owning a dog is slightly less expensive than being addicted to crack.
    ― Jen Lancaster

Rugbysmom is offline Village Royalty

I KNOW all these replies are NOT what you want to hear, & I'm so sorry about that! But please do reconsider bringing that pup home, just for now.....You mentioned that the house smells horribly because of all the cat pee & spray, so if it is a puppy you are planning to get, how will you have time to do all the potty training? That is a pretty big commitment, right there. And a puppy or dog in the house is NOT likely to improve the cats' dispositions AT ALL--in fact, with that many cats being so stressed with just each other, you would have a very high likelihood of one of them scratching your new pup in the eye--you do NOT want that, trust me. Please do as much reading of the health related threads on here before you bring your pup home. Our Pug has a problem with needing to have her anal sacs cleaned out by the vet regularly, about once a month. Many on here have the same problem. There are other things that Pugs are prone to, such as breathing difficulties--they HAVE to be house dogs--they cannot tolerate extremes of heat or cold. Puppies are STRESSFUL, even if they are healthy & everything goes right! You'll be kept up most of the night for at least the 1st week, & then there is all the potty training. Even if your pup catches on quickly, I would say it's a matter of months, rather than weeks, that your pup will be very reliable about letting you know he needs to go outside. Then, if you don't have a fenced yard, you have to take them out on a leash--do you have time to do all this? Even if you have a fenced yard, you should still go out to supervise your pup so he doesn't get into something he shouldn't.

Again, I'm sorry! Pugs are such great little dogs, but like someone else said, they are high maintenance. I can't help thinking you are going to be MUCH happier if you concentrate on finishing school, get out on your own with a job, then think about getting a dog. Thank you for checking into this before you do it! And please look around on here a little more--there is a lot of helpful info! Good luck with your decision, and maybe you'd like to just hang out here with us & find out more about Pugs while you are finishing school--you'd be welcome!
    puglover22 likes this.
    Rugbysmom

Rugby 7/10/02 - 9/28/15 Miss you, little girl! You're always in my heart!

Molly DOB: 7/6/04

Otis89 is offline Village Mayor

I agree, it is very expensive and a big commitment. You want to be able to afford to buy your pug a good quality food, get him/her all of the vaccines, spay/neuter if necessary, and prepare for accidents. If a dog gets a cat scratch to the eye, you're looking at at least $2000 for the surgery, plus a great deal of trauma for the poor little guy. Even something simple like going for an exam or x-ray and finding nothing wrong can cost $300+. I personally keep a savings account with a couple thousand just for vet trips, and believe me I've had to use it. We once had multiple cats also, one of which was a sprayer and a dominant male, and I wouldn't have considered bringing a dog into that situation. I wanted a dog from the moment I moved away from home, but it was worth waiting the 5 additional years that we did to ensure that we were financially stable, and not overwhelmed by other stressful situations.
    puglover22 likes this.

Snifter is offline Moderator/Village Merchant

Welcome to Pug Village

I am afraid I have to add to the advice not to get a dog at this point in time.

If your existing pets are already unhappy why would you stress them more by bringing another one into the household? Let alone the money issues.

You will have plenty of time to get a dog when your domestic situation is more suitable. If you want to have some interaction with dogs how about seeing if you can do some dog walking for other people in your spare time?
    puglover22 likes this.

Bella, mummy to Snifter and Toddy!

http://avrilmunson.wordpress.com

puglover22 is offline Village Royalty

yep yep yep i can't agree more with everyone....pugs aren't cheap or easy to own.....they are high maintenence little buggers who require money and time to maintain them properly. Please continue to do your research, and maybe even think about volunteering for a local pug rescue to learn more about them and see first hand some of their issues, and spend some quality time trying to enhance their lives.

Stephanie, pugmom to Louie Livewire, born 3/15/06
    and my 4 angels waiting at the bridge....
    the very special Junior, my pug angel who is doing agility at the rainbow bridge 11/22/91 - 3/13/06
    the very special Danny, my first dog, a Dandie Dinmont Terrier 4/5/70 - 2/10/84
    the very special Paddy, the pug who was loved around the world, who my family had the pleasure and honor of loving for the last 3 years and 5 months 5/1/98 - 8/6/14
    the very special Frannie, the tiniest baby girl pug we ever knew - came into our lives 12/18/16 - 6/26/21

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast