My 8 month old female pug - help! - Page 4
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: My 8 month old female pug - help!

Rugbysmom is offline Village Royalty

Yeah, I would bet that one of the puppies will have a home with your mother & another will have a home with the owner of the male. Start saving your $ now for the c-section that will probably be needed, then the puppies need to be checked out at the vet shortly after they are born & get their dewclaws removed (by the vet ONLY!). If the puppies & mom survive, you are looking at shots & 1st wormings for all of them before they can go to new homes, & if you are at all responsible (we already know your mother is NOT), you will not let any of the pups go to new homes before they are all of 8 weeks old, at least. The litter needs to stay intact until then. Be prepared to be on "puppy duty" for as long as it might be needed. Do not let her have her babies alone--sometimes Pugs can't get the sacs open & you will have to tear those open (gently!) with your fingernails. You might also have to cut their cords, so you'd better read up on that. Your best bet would be to get her to the vet as soon as you see signs that she is ready to whelp & let somebody who knows what they are doing handle things. Again, you'd better read up on signs of whelping so you can get her to the vet right away. If your female doesn't want to feed her puppies (after all, she is only a baby herself & can't really be expected to know how to do everything) you may have to bottle or tube feed the babies, so you'd better find out from the vet exactly how to do all that. Ahead of time. If you do it wrong, you can kill the puppies. If she does feed them, but you see that one is a runt or getting pushed out of the way & becoming a runt, then you will have to rotate the babies while feeding, putting the tiniest ones on there first to make sure they get enough milk.

I don't know why I'm getting this impression, & I could sure be wrong, but I get the feeling that you are thinking that it's all going to turn out just fine. I sure hope it does. I don't mean to be coming down on you, but maybe you will be turning this whole "project" over to your mom before it's all said & done. I sure hope not. Next I see her keeping a male puppy to breed back to your dog (it's own mother), or maybe keeping a female & male puppy which she can breed together later. Well, your mother has given you quite a project. If you live by yourself & have to take care of all this, I'm thinking at some point you will not be thanking your mom. If you turn the whole thing over to her, too bad for the momma Pug & her babies. Sure hope it all turns out o.k. in the end.
    Rugbysmom

Rugby 7/10/02 - 9/28/15 Miss you, little girl! You're always in my heart!

Molly DOB: 7/6/04

sBradley92 is offline Village Puppy

The babies would all be going to outside homes and one would be going to the owner of the male, they would get pick of the litter and Zelda would be spayed after having first litter of puppies. With all of the response I am getting, I really don't want to follow through with the pregnancy. I don't want to risk losing my baby and I don't want her to have to go through that. There is really no reason for her to be bred, she is a pet, not a breeder. I am going to have a sit down with my mother about taking her to have her spayed at her expense since this was her doing in the first place. It isn't to late in the pregnancy to have her spayed, is it? If we calculated right, she would be due around the 18th of January. I feel like it is the best thing to do for Zelda. I feel terrible about aborting her babies but I am more concerned about her well being.

Hellas is offline Village Admiral

Quote Originally Posted by sBradley92 View Post
    The babies would all be going to outside homes and one would be going to the owner of the male, they would get pick of the litter and Zelda would be spayed after having first litter of puppies. With all of the response I am getting, I really don't want to follow through with the pregnancy. I don't want to risk losing my baby and I don't want her to have to go through that. There is really no reason for her to be bred, she is a pet, not a breeder. I am going to have a sit down with my mother about taking her to have her spayed at her expense since this was her doing in the first place. It isn't to late in the pregnancy to have her spayed, is it? If we calculated right, she would be due around the 18th of January. I feel like it is the best thing to do for Zelda. I feel terrible about aborting her babies but I am more concerned about her well being.
    I think this would be by far the most responsible thing to do. I don't know how late it's possible to perform this surgery, so you would probably be wise to call your vet straight away and ask for advice and info about cost. It may not be cheap, but neither is an emergency c-section.

She is simply too young and breeding pugs is not for everybody. I know pug breeders and they put in soooo much time and money in their pups.

Legally and morally, I think there is little doubt that your mother should pay. She caused this mess and is responsible for clearing up the consequenses. However, please don't let her actions be the deciding factor. Do whatever is best for your dog.
    Proud mama to puggies Winston and Ozzie, Slatan the Cat and Zino the horse.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

CSollers is offline Village Sugar Daddy

In the interest of the health of Zelda, she needs an abortion. If anybody purposely did anything to endanger one of my Pugs, as in this case, the financial burden would be the least of their worries. I'm sure your Mom didn't understand the issues involved, but as they say " Ignorance is no excuse". There would be some serious, long term trust issues.
    Last edited by CSollers; 12-11-2012 at 07:25 AM.
    Chris, owned by Minni the diva, and "Sugar" Ray the ever hungry.
    Ray has since crossed the bridge but stays forever in my heart. I love you, Boo Boo. Oscar Wilde Thang has joined the family.
    DH to Ellen , DD to Lindsay and Carrie

ladywings is offline Village Puppy

Your mother should be forced to spend time volunteering at a local shelter, maybe then she would understand exactly what she has done! As a volunteer and board member at my local humane society, I can't express how livid your mother's irresponsibility makes me. I do hope it's not to late for you to abort Zelda's babies, before she pays the ultimate price for your mother's stupidity!
    "I looked at all the caged animals in the shelter...the cast-offs of human society. I saw in their eyes love and hope, fear and dread, sadness and betrayal. And I was angry. "God," I said, "this is terrible! Why don't you do something?" God was silent for a moment and then He spoke softly. I have done something," He replied. "I created you."
    ~The Animals' Savior Copyright Jim Willis 1999

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234