Introduction and needing some advice
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: Introduction and needing some advice

rdjr74 is offline New to the Village

Red face Introduction and needing some advice

Maddie is my 9 year old girl! She just turned last Friday. She is such and incredible dog but she as a lot of pugs I'm now finding out has recently been displaying signs of a neuropothy. We have taken her to the vet and she's been on prednisone for about a month now. This seems to have helped her as she would use to limp but not so much anymore. It's an everyday occurrence that she can't control her number 2's but urinating doesn't seem to be much of an issue although she does drink a lot more water due to the prednisone. What I have read about this condition is there really isn't a cure so I'm looking at alternatives that others have tried and have seen some results. Even going the herbal remedies if anyone has attempted that. Also, should I be concerned that my dog has been taking prednisone and looks to be taking for some time from here on out. Our vet made it sound like there wouldn't be any harmful effects if she takes it for a long period of time. She is still full of life and I want to try and find ways for her to continue to enjoy it without be to immobile. Thanks everyone in advance!

Tinker's mom is offline Village Royalty

Hello & to the village! So glad you joined! She is gorgeous! Is she developing some arthritis as well as neuropathy? If so you can add some joint supplements and coconut oil to help with inflammation. I'm sure others on here with more experience will chime in. Glad to have you aboard!
    Jackie,Mom to Robbie & Stacy my human children and Tinker my furkid.

Loconn55 is offline Village Royalty

She's beautiful! Welcome to the village. Lisa and other pug mavens may chime in on the specifics, but I learned from Lisa that it's best with longterm steroid use to add a 1/4 Tagamet per day to help protect her GI tract against the prednisone.
    See Lisa's (6 Beautiful Pugs) 'wishlist' for her grumble at the Rusty Pug Retirement Ranch and help them out at:http://www.amazon.com/gp/registry/wi...ref=cm_sw_su_w

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

CSollers is offline Village Sugar Daddy

Maddie is a lovely girl. We have essentially the same problem with our old boy, Ray, who is 12. We have both him and our other Pug on a raw diet so if he happens to "pop a nugget" accidentally, it's compact, dry, and relatively odor free (emphasis on relatively). His poops can be picked up with a tissue and the tissue doesn't even get wet. This probably isn't the kind of fix you were hoping for but it beats trying to keep him in diapers.
    Ray also can't walk very far so instead of leaving him home we found a stroller at a yard sale this past Summer. He walks as far as he can and then he rides in his chariot. This way he doesn't get left behind and gets as much exercise as possible. Here he is:
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Chris, owned by Minni the diva, and "Sugar" Ray the ever hungry.
    Ray has since crossed the bridge but stays forever in my heart. I love you, Boo Boo. Oscar Wilde Thang has joined the family.
    DH to Ellen , DD to Lindsay and Carrie

paxe is offline Village Mayor

No exsperience but I talked to a woman with a older pug and she is doing chinese herbs at the holistic vet and she swears by it.
    She is just like me we do not believe in hocus pocus but I must admite that some stuff just really works.
    So you might wanne give it a try, nothing to loose right?

Nina_W is offline Village Story Teller

Welcome to the village!

Your Maddie is so beautiful :)

I have no help, but I'm sure you'll find others here who will be able to.
    Rugbysmom likes this.

Hellas is offline Village Admiral

Welcome! I have no advice, but I know Lisa (6BeautifulPugs) will be able to provide excellent advice in addition to what has already been said. She's an expert when it comes to seniors with verious health issues.

Your girl is absolutely gorgeous! I can't help but notice that her claws are awfully long ... Does she hate having them done?
    tall grass pugs likes this.
    Proud mama to puggies Winston and Ozzie, Slatan the Cat and Zino the horse.

rdjr74 is offline New to the Village

Yes her nails are long. She's good about it but I do it and I just don't keep up on them like I should. I cut them once sometimes twice a month but they grow so dare fast.

Thanks everyone for the great advice so far, really do appreciate it!

We do keep her on a dry diet so you are correct in saying it is much easy to clean up. The wife and I have a system down and we don't or at least do our best to not get upset with her. We both know it's something we'll have to deal with for the duration and we are fine with it. The only time really, is when we let her out then she comes in and goes, but what are ya gonna do. : )

About the arthritis, it's possible but hard to say. Since being on the prednisone it seems to have helped so maybe that took care of some of the arthritis. I'll look into the joint supplements and coconut oil as well as the 1/4 Tagamet per day for the prednisone.

I'm intrigued by the chinese herbs thing and didn't know there was such a thing as a holistic vet. Interesting. There really is something for everyone/thing.

Again, thanks all and would love more advice. : )
    Hellas, Nina_W and Pepperdog like this.

Rugbysmom is offline Village Royalty

Hi & Your Maddie is such a lovely girl, and looks like a real sweetheart! I don't really have any advice to add, except that if she does have arthritis, Glucosamine/Chondroitin supplements can sometimes help a bit--it might be something to ask your vet about. I hope she will be fine!
    Rugbysmom

Rugby 7/10/02 - 9/28/15 Miss you, little girl! You're always in my heart!

Molly DOB: 7/6/04

shaynapug is offline True Village Royalty

I cannot talk about meds...but one way to help with the bowels is to "take their temp" a few times a day! I used to do Solo's morning and night!

Bless you for your big heart!
    Diane
    Shayna Pugs
    http://www.midmichiganpugclub.com
    Chairperson of PDCA Rescue Committee

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast