My pug Lilly's sudden death.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: My pug Lilly's sudden death.

foreverlillysmommy is offline New to the Village

Unhappy My pug Lilly's sudden death.

Hi, my name is Kayla and I am new to pug village. I had a 5 month old pug named Lilly, and she was so amazing. About 2 weeks ago, I took Lilly into the vet to get spayed. Everything was going great, except for the cone of shame! A week after her surgery I noticed some swelling so I thought I would take her back in to get it checked out. Sure enough she had a little hematoma so the suggested I give her Acepromazine 25 mg tabs (then half of that) whenever she was just playing too hard. Still a little skeptical, I followed the vets orders, since I wanted little Lilly to heal up. Everything was fine, but almost a week later, she had a terrible cough in the morning. I was concerned, but still dropped Lilly off at my grandparents (I dropped her off their while I was at work everyday). They were also concerned so took her back into the vet. The vet diagnosed her with a ear infection and a URI, sent her on with medication and suggested soft food (so it would be easier on her.) My grandparents took her outside to potty, then brought her back in and gave her the new soft food. She started to choke on it, so my grandparents tried helping her, and when they failed to her back to the vet. She seizured and the Vet team could not save her. 3-12-14 she passed from choking to death. This really bothers me since Lilly loved food and eat anything and everything and NEVER choked. Could someone please explain this and provide closure?! This was so Sudden and UNEXPECTED. Has anyone else ever been through a situation like this?? Please help!!
    ❤❤ Lilly's Mommy ❤❤

Nilladakilla is offline Village VP

No advice. Sorry for your loss of Lilly.
    foreverlillysmommy likes this.
    Andrew
    Dad to Wonka and Miss Nilla

Olin's Mom is offline New to the Village

So sorry for you and your family! I cannot offer you any advice, either, but I am sad for you and your pup. I hope you get some answers...

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

foreverlillysmommy is offline New to the Village

thank you
    ❤❤ Lilly's Mommy ❤❤

glebou is offline Village Royalty

I am so sorry for your loss.

Pugs often eat too rapidly. I had to use the Heimlich maneuver on one of my pugs twice.
    Gaye

Mom to Thomcat A. Becket (Archbishop of Caterbury), the Siamese cat, (and Edgar Allen Pug, Priscilla Ann Pug, Kewpie Doll Boudreaux, Moe Jackson Pug, RooBen Lancaster Pug, Anya Pavlina Pug, Jabaar Jefferson Pug, Gertie Rose Griffon, Pace the Poochie, Millicent, Dylan Thomcat, Snafu DeLaRue and Aubrey Augustus, waiting for me at the Bridge)

shaynapug is offline True Village Royalty

I'm so sorry for your loss!!!

Pugs, more than other dogs, can choke on their food as most of them don't chew.

I have had a pup with a hematoma and had to keep her crated...and medicated....

With this weather, an upper respiratory infection can happen. Did they take an xray? Maybe she had pneumonia????

If she didn't have enough oxygen coming through, maybe that's why she seizure???? I'm just guessing ..I have no idea!

I'm so very very sorry!

For Lilly
    Diane
    Shayna Pugs
    http://www.midmichiganpugclub.com
    Member of PDCA Rescue Committee

Suri is offline Village Secret Super-Star

sorry for your loss.
    Susan, mom to Desi, Lucy and Finn

Honoring Sruffy,Bo, Maggie Mae, Jenny, Trooper, Kaja,Muff, and Pepper

PeachesMom is offline Village Admiral

I am so sorry for the loss of your sweet baby. It's always heartbreaking to lose them but so young and so suddenly seems even worse. Prayers to help heal your heart.

AmberB is offline Village Admiral

I am so sorry for your loss. Lilly was so young and it was so unexpected. I have no advice except to say that Pugs do tend to eat too fast or just plain choke on their food more often than other dogs I've seen. My Mom had a Pug who choked on her food so hard that she vomited and inhaled the vomit and food into her lungs. She survived the initial incident but later passed from severe lung damage caused by aspiration pneumonia.

I know how hard it is not to blame ourselves, and your grandparents must be feeling terrible that it happened under their care but it sounds like she was having respiratory trouble before the choking incident. Perhaps she did indeed have pneumonia... You may never know the full truth of what happened but know that you were doing your best for her. Sometimes we can do everything right and bad things still happen.

for little Lilly who only lived for a short time but will be loved forever...
    shaynapug likes this.

6 Beautiful Pugs is offline Village Caretaker of the Old & Broken

Unfortunately the shoulda, woulda, couldas will not bring her back, it will only hurt your heart more.

Pugs eat fast, way too fast most of the time. They are also susceptible to respiratory issues because of their anatomy. I have had several choke on food or chews over the years, luckily was able to clear their airway, but have had two with aspiration pneumonia. Luckily, they survived, although I believe I lost Sammy to aspiration pneumonia.

Take care,
    Lisa
    shaynapug likes this.
    In a gentle way, you can shake the world.

- Mohandas Gandhi

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast