New & Thinking Ahead
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By riffy
  • 1 Post By Rugbysmom

Thread: New & Thinking Ahead

riffy is offline New to the Village

Cool New & Thinking Ahead

I have a Lab (Sophie) & an English Mastiff (Loki) that are both turning 5 this year. Sadly mastiffs don't live that long & he's getting old fast. Sophie is extremely social with both people & animals but Loki only likes small dogs after being attacked at a dog park years ago. Sophie loves to play with other dogs but she's not affectionate with them. Loki on the other hand is a big loving cuddle monster & is always trying to sleep next to her. She won't have it! If it's not about play or food... she wants her space, she's quite independent. She's not that cuddly with me either, once the petting stops, she's on her way with in seconds.

I've been preparing myself for Loki's passing with his health declining. I was thinking about getting a Pug but not sure if I'll wait till he passes or do it before. So in no hurry at all to make up my mind. I was thinking a little buddy might help him in his old age. Not to mention someone to cuddle with other than me. So... long story short started reading this forum since I started to get this idea in my head that a Pug might be the perfect dog for me.

I live in the south & have a doggie door right now. Dogs aren't out there much since they stick to me mostly. Not to mention the heat in the summer. One of my worries with a Pug, the heat, but mastiffs do horrible in cold & heat too. I love my Lab but she's so independent, so Loki is my baby, with all his love & affection he gives. Loki is my "lap dog" even though he's around 235 lbs. makes a great foot rest too. Not that I have favorites. :-D but little miss independent Sophie usually goes off & does her own thing till she's ready to play, while Loki is usually touching me in some way.

Sadly, I haven't been around many dogs since the dog park attack. My vet even makes an exception for us to come in after hours to avoid other dogs. But I remember people comparing mastiffs & pugs a lot with Loki. Laid back, needy, affectionate, lazy after the puppy chaos & the like. Not really sure how true that is but I'm hoping very. Anyone ever have both before? Are they really that similar just 1/10th the size? I even hear they shed like a mastiff year round & like crazy. If pugs are so much like them & live twice as long, sounds perfect to me. Not to mention my crazy vet bills with Loki's size, & a dog that I can lift instead of lifts me.

Anyways... Hi. Here are my current kids...

Poochysforever likes this.

Tinker's mom is offline Village Royalty

Hello & to te village! I don't have any advice for you except to continue to do your homework on pugs. They are definitely people dogs and will be velcroed to you. Your two are beauties but i would worry with a small dog around such large ones. I know there are folks on here who have pugs and bigger dogs as well, hopefully they will chime in with some advice.
    Jackie,Mom to Robbie & Stacy my human children and Tinker my furkid.

babyroni is offline Village Royalty

Hi and welcome! Your babies are lovely and I love Loki's color. I don't have any experience with mastiffs but hopefully someone here has advise for you.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

Rugbysmom is offline Village Royalty

Hi & Your dogs are just beautiful! I think your impression of what a Pug is like is generally correct! I'm sure there exceptions, & some people say their Pugs take a long time to settle down.....but if you can handle 2 big dogs like you have, I'm sure you could handle a Pug! They are awesome companion dogs! The only thing is, if it were me, I might wait.....a 3rd dog right now, especially a rambunctious puppy, could upset the good rapport your 2 dogs have now.....also, Pugs' eyes are so prone to injury. They have to be house dogs--you can't really leave them outside at all if the weather gets very hot, & if they go out the doggie door, you can't always count on them having the good sense to come back in before they get too hot. They pretty much have to be supervised when they are outside. Another thing--we have a Lab also, & although Lab Molly is very patient, Pug Rugby knows how to push all her buttons! As a result, we have a short fence across the entrance to the kitchen & Molly gets the kitchen & Rugby gets the rest of the house. Not ideal, but it keeps the peace! If you decide to go ahead & add a Pug now, I know everybody will help you with ideas on how to get the 3 to get along, etc, & everybody here is always ready & willing to help with any questions or problems you might have......good luck & let us know what you decide to do! Your Loki is such a beautiful guy! He sounds like such a sweetheart.....I'd love to have a dog like that, but I won't get one because that shorter life span is just too short! They are never with us long enough, but I need a dog who is going to be with me longer, hopefully!
    Lu Ci and Ri Ki likes this.
    Rugbysmom

Rugby 7/10/02 - 9/28/15 Miss you, little girl! You're always in my heart!

Molly DOB: 7/6/04

Thanks, I did absolutely nothing to get them how they look now. They did that all on their own. :-D

Yeah the short life span is just breaking my heart & even though English Mastiff is my favorite breed, I just can't stand the short life span. Loki's back legs aren't that great anymore but, you never know, he might live for years more with pain meds, or they could give out at any time. Never seems to be any real rhythm or reason to when that kind of stuff happens. But he's acting like an old dog now & I know he's in pain some days. Nothing can stop me from worrying about him but I'm planing for the future too. Loki has a vet appointment next month to check on his hips & that's going to cost me. He's never cheap when he goes to the vet! The average vet bill is about $400 every 6 months for yearly shots & heart worm for the 2 of em. Silly vets, everything's cost goes by weight. :-( A little pug is the weight Loki gains & looses randomly thru the seasons. Figure that won't do much to the bill.

I'm sure getting along won't be an issue at all. They're both really good with small dogs. Loki has sever fear aggression with medium to large breeds but loves the little ones. Sadly, all because of one bad day at a dog park. Sophie is a Lab... she's hyper & I doubt she'll ever slow down. I can throw a ball for hours for her. She just loves to play play play with everyone. She tries & tries to annoy Loki but she's never managed to do it. He has a really high tolerance for pretty much anything. Loki prefers to play... laying down most the time. So other than being slowly sat on the first few months, I don't think I'd have to worry about a pug getting hurt from him.

The heat & doggie door is my main concern really. Don't think a pug would come in from the heat with a doggie door? Loki can't do heat either & during the summer will hold it till it cools off at night many days. Or run out potty & quickly come back in, but he's more likely to just hold it after sticking his nose out the door & feeling heat. They're never left outside but the doggie door is always open. Even with the nice big yard, they're rarely ever out there. They'd rather play 6 inches in front of me!

Another issue is we don't go for walks any more because of Loki not liking other dogs. There are quite a few around that are allowed to roam around & it's caused real issues in the past. They're all friendly but he gets aggressive towards them. So we stopped our walks. Now with his back leg trouble added to that, I don't think we'll be doing them ever again either. Our longest walk ever was 1 mile, the farthest he can go before he'll lay down & call it quits. Learned that the hard way. LOL I baby him now a lot and hate it when he lays on the floor when there is softer furniture around him.

I'm glad I heard right about how pugs are. I love the velcro doggies! Loki is one but he waits a few mins before he gets up the energy to get up to follow. I have a long time to think about it. Hopefully a pug will be the perfect mini mastiff in my future. :-D Won't be any time soon but maybe near future.

Karlalouise is offline Village Mayor

They are beautiful dogs!
    We have 3 german shepherds and one of them was/is poorly due to old age! Since getting Layla it's given her a massive boost! I would definatly start to introduce a pug before! With the walk thing one of ours hated other dogs when she was on a lead (which was a worry) but now Layla goes out for a walk Lexie has taken over mum and loves other dogs! Layla has definatly helped our other dogs!

Pug Mom Claire is offline Village Admiral

Hi &

You have gorgeous dogs! I just love Mastiffs...Loki does look like a big cuddler.

Went to the Indy Winter Classic dog show last weekend, and had a ball with an English Mastiff puppy...big already! Last year got major drool from a huge English Mastiff.
    They're just very big babies!

LOL the drool... my house is painted with enamel paint so I can mop them! :-D Need to do the ceiling some day. He can fling that stuff pretty far!

+ Reply to Thread