+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree8Likes
  • 3 Post By shaynapug
  • 2 Post By GordonBrunoPugMom
  • 3 Post By shaynapug

Thread: Potty help

Brispug is offline New to the Village

Default Potty help

Hi, we are getting an 8 week old pug baby in a few days. I’ve read that most pugs can’t hold their bladder until 12 weeks of age. Do we wait until 12 weeks to start training or do we start training right when we bring him home? The current breeder is using fake grass. Do we just stay with what he is has learned until 12 weeks? Need advice !! Thanks!

GordonBrunoPugMom is offline Village Royalty

Default Potty help

Yes training starts the minute you have the puppy in your hands. Fake grass is not a bad idea and we used a porch potty with fake grass for years and still some rainy days.
    I got a few questions . What type of potty training are we talking about ? And where do you want your puppy to go ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I was referring to outside training. Is it something we should try from the start or will he be too young? At night, we were planning on using the fake grass but is that going to be harder to train him outside? Thanks!!

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

shaynapug is offline True Village Royalty

Where do you live??? What is the weather like??? A puppy must be 16 wks old to go out if it's cold outside.

I would either set up a small area maybe 4'by 4'.....to put the puppy in when you take him outside. Use specific words to get them to go. I use "go make" . Once they do, praise and give a treat! Do not play with the puppy outside...or take it to a big area when it can do other things. Going outside should be to potty.

At first, when young, I do not discipline..... I just pick them up and say outside.... I also have wee wee pads to put them on quickly when I see them start to go. You can then move the wee wee pad outside in the small area. When I KNOW that they know to go outside...they have gone to the door themselves.....etc...and they have gone in the house...I do discipline. I tell them no...put them outside....bring them in ...show them the spot and tell them no...potty outside...and crate for about 5-10 min.

I'd be taking the puppy outside every 1-2 hrs. Right after eating or drinking...and upon waking up.

Winter time is a hard time to potty train, but it can be done! I have a boy that was born in mid Sept........and tho it took longer than a spring/summer puppy...He's fully housebroken!
    Diane
    Shayna Pugs
    http://www.midmichiganpugclub.com
    Chairperson of PDCA Rescue Committee

Thanks for the reply.. very helpful! This is our first pug so it’s all new to us. We’ve had a puppy before but never a pug. We live in Illinois so heading into a cold winter. He won’t be 16 wks until around Jan.

GordonBrunoPugMom is offline Village Royalty

Default Potty help

We used our fake grass porch potty in conjunction with a dog door leading to the porch we had sectioned off a small area. This was the pee spot from day one for my 2 Pugs Bruno and Gordon . That said they both were older 15 weeks. My Bruno was house trained day one Gordon 1 week. My Puppy now Henry also has a dog door he loves being outside and has a fenced yard . I say if you have to keep him inside for a while then what ever you use inside may it be fake grass , pad or newspaper once he transitions outside you just move that to the outside spot . Years ago I paper trained a Dalmatian and he saw paper and peed on it instantly even after years after LOL

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Lu Ci and Ri Ki and Suri like this.

shaynapug is offline True Village Royalty

Quote Originally Posted by Brispug View Post
    Thanks for the reply.. very helpful! This is our first pug so it’s all new to us. We’ve had a puppy before but never a pug. We live in Illinois so heading into a cold winter. He won’t be 16 wks until around Jan.
    Then I would wee wee pad train. When it isn't frigid out after he's 16 wks old...you can put him in a small area to potty. Sometimes it takes a while to go and might be too cold or too snowy! Once it starts to warm up some, you can slowly move the wee wee pad to the door and then outside.

I have a friend that works.....Her dogs go outside when she's home...but know that it's okay to use the wee wee pads when she's gone.
    Diane
    Shayna Pugs
    http://www.midmichiganpugclub.com
    Chairperson of PDCA Rescue Committee

+ Reply to Thread