+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree16Likes
  • 5 Post By shaynapug
  • 2 Post By menehune2006
  • 3 Post By Wonka & Nilla
  • 1 Post By Lu Ci and Ri Ki
  • 3 Post By GordonBrunoPugMom
  • 2 Post By puglover22

Thread: Going to look at pugs this weekend!

menehune2006 is offline New to the Village

Red face Going to look at pugs this weekend!

Hi! I'm about to enter into the world of pugs soon.

I've wanted one since I was 6 years old and my neighbor had one. I thought they were called Chinese mugs for the longest time lol.

We had 2 pit bulls and a mutt until 2 years ago. We said goodbye to our old boy Luke in 2019 and my old man Blackjack 3 months ago. Now we have Koda, a 4 year old female pit left and she's the sweetest most submissive dog I've ever known.

My husband knows I've wanted a pug forever but we haven't been in a financial situation where we could afford to purchase one and deal with the ongoing upkeep of a pug...

But last week, he told me it was time. We'll be down one daycare payment as my son starts kindergarten next year and our house could use more love.

I found a breeder and have been obsessively looking at their current litter and past litters to get a feel for what my pup may look like. There are two I have my eye on but I'm keeping an open mind that I may or may not find the pug for me when we go Sunday.

I've never really picked out a dog. Luke was my husband's, I adopted Blacjack from a pound after seeing his picture once, and Koda wandered into our yard one day.

Any advice on picking the "right pug" would be appreciated.

shaynapug is offline True Village Royalty

I am a retired breeder and I show my dogs. If you message me, I might know the person you're going to see.

Is the person a member of any clubs?? Do they show their dogs?? If they do not....are both parents on site?? For those of us that show...many of us have semen shipped so that we can do the best breeding for our future! In todays age, the parents might not be Champions...but there should be Champs in their pedigree. Can you see the pedigree of said pups?

Where are the pups being kept?? Do you get to see all the pups?

Did the person you're getting your pup from question you about pets in your past??

Are you comfortable with the person that bred the pup?? It's important...as they should be in your life for the entire life of the pup??

Do you have at least 7 days to get your pup to a vet of your choice for a health check?? What will they do if something turns up?? Will the take the pup back at any time in his/her life should you no longer be able to care for it?

These are just a few.....
    Diane
    Shayna Pugs
    http://www.midmichiganpugclub.com
    Member of PDCA Rescue Committee

I don't believe they are members of any clubs but they do have both parents onsite and aren't show dogs. We are going to meet them in person this weekend and I'll get to see for myself the conditions they are living in and the parents. I will definitely make sure the conditions of the agreement allow for health issues.

We aren't in any rush to get a pug if the fit isn't right :-)

Thanks for all the questions to make sure we are prepared!
    Lu Ci and Ri Ki and Rugbysmom like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

Wonka & Nilla is offline Village Dancing Jitterpug

I have no advice to offer since I've never picked out a pup from a litter, but I wanted to send you best wishes and welcome you to PugVillage!
    I look forward to hearing all about about your little pug after you've found the perfect one for your family!
    Village Moderator

Mom to Miss Jelly Bean "Beanie" Licorice Pug
    Forever in our hearts:
    Miss Nilla Sassafras Pug August 17, 2002 to April 19, 2018
    And my Heart-Dog...
    Wonka the Dancing Pug, CGC, W-FD, W-TFD.
    Februrary 11, 2005 to May 10, 2020. Miss you, sweet boy!

Lu Ci and Ri Ki is offline Village Ya-Ya

Hello and to PugVillage. Glad you have joined us. Diane gave you excellent advice. Hope it all works out this weekend and you find your new Puggie puppy. Please let us know how it goes.
    menehune2006 likes this.
    We never touch people so lightly that we don't leave a trace.

I just found another breeder who's pugs come APRI vs. the ones I'm going to see this weekend, which have no official paperwork for myself. I haven't heard if they have bloodline info available yet. They are accepting cash, Venmo and Zelle for payment and I'll get a receipt for the deposit. I've seen great reviews for them but I'm always nervous about getting into a bad situation.

I'm going to send pictures of the two I was looking at from the first breeder. My heart says "get one before someone. else does" but my head is starting to say "be patient. Wait until you see the pups from the 2nd breeder and if it's right, they'll still be there"

The second breeder's pups are 2 weeks old and she said she'd send me some later.

Yellow Collar Pup #1

Orange Collar Pup #2

Last edited by menehune2006; 04-09-2021 at 08:53 PM.

GordonBrunoPugMom is offline Village Royalty

Default Going to look at pugs this weekend!

What is APRI ? Where are you looking for breeders ? Venmo Zelle sounds strange to me . I personally only will have a dog from a breeder associated with the Pug Club of America. AKC means nothing to me I seen puppy mill pups on they breeder referral site. I got 3 pugs . Each has a different breeder one came from NJ one from PA and the new pup from MI.
    I like my pets to look like a representative of the breed, healthy and have certainly have the personality I expected that breed to have.
    I also do not get any puppy before 12 weeks preferable 15 . A good breeder will honor that request !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

puglover22 is offline Village Royalty

don't send any cash, transfer any money etc......there are too many puppy scams out there
    please see the puppies in person first.....anyone can make a website with cute puppy pictures
    shaynapug and Lu Ci and Ri Ki like this.

Stephanie, pugmom to Louie Livewire, born 3/15/06
    and my 4 angels waiting at the bridge....
    the very special Junior, my pug angel who is doing agility at the rainbow bridge 11/22/91 - 3/13/06
    the very special Danny, my first dog, a Dandie Dinmont Terrier 4/5/70 - 2/10/84
    the very special Paddy, the pug who was loved around the world, who my family had the pleasure and honor of loving for the last 3 years and 5 months 5/1/98 - 8/6/14
    the very special Frannie, the tiniest baby girl pug we ever knew - came into our lives 12/18/16 - 6/26/21

+ Reply to Thread