Frank the pug!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: Frank the pug!

Frankthepug72 is offline New to the Village

Default Frank the pug!

Hi y’all! We just recently got our first pug. He is absolutely adorable and playful but he was the runt of his litter. At 8 weeks old when we got him he was only 2 pounds. For those who have smaller pugs, is there a diet that we could feed him to help with his development? I’d also like to know if pugs are typically non-food motivated. I’ve been trying to train him how to sit with treats but I can’t get his attention. Any suggestions help!

Wonka & Nilla is offline Village Dancing Jitterpug

Hello and welcome!
    I don't have any recommendations for what to feed a puppy who is small, but hopefully someone with more experience will see this and give some suggestions. I can tell you though that most pugs are VERY food motivated! Maybe you just need to find something that is more appealing or exciting for Frank? Tiny (really tiny!) bites of cheese have always been popular with my pugs and I have also used a wide variety of store-bought treats and other types of "human food" like blueberries, small pieces of carrot or green beans. But perhaps Frank would be more motivated by a favorite toy? A squeaky ball or a tug rope? You might need to experiment and see what works for him. Good luck and we look forward to hearing more about Frank!
    Lu Ci and Ri Ki likes this.
    Village Moderator

Mom to Miss Jelly Bean "Beanie" Licorice Pug
    Forever in our hearts:
    Miss Nilla Sassafras Pug August 17, 2002 to April 19, 2018
    And my Heart-Dog...
    Wonka the Dancing Pug, CGC, W-FD, W-TFD.
    Februrary 11, 2005 to May 10, 2020. Miss you, sweet boy!

GordonBrunoPugMom is online now Village Royalty

For now feed the food the breeder got him on. 8 weeks is little. Once you seen the vet you can ask him/her for suggestions and in how to switch over. A supplement might be something the vet can recommend. 8 weeks is very young how long have you had him? Frank might just need to get used to you and his new home before he will be able to focus on training. My Bruno was trained with toys rather then food. My Henry is not trained at all. Wow come to think he really is not.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

Tuck and Ag's Mom is online now Village Admiral

My first pug was a Frank! Your little one is pretty young. At 8 weeks our breeder had them on wet food mixed with goats milk and yogurt, we didn’t pick them up until they were 10 and 11 weeks though. I wouldn’t change foods from what the breeder had him on unless it’s crappy food and if so then I would do it very gradually but hopefully since you just got him you have him going into the vet very soon and then you could talk to them about adding some goats milk or yogurt to help stimulate his appetite. He is probably a little young to understand commands yet as well. Looking forward to pics and stories.
    Nancy
    Mom to Lolli and Murphy
    Forever in my heart Aggie, Tucker and Frank

Thanks for yall’s replies. I’ll answer some of the questions. Frank is coming up on 10 weeks so we will be going to the vet on Tuesday for his check up (the breeder took him for his 8 week check up, I just got the paperwork). The food he was on was Caesar’s wet food mixed with Purina puppy chow so we transitioned him off of that in about a week. He is now eating nutro puppy kibble with some yogurt and water and he loves it. For the training, I’ve only ever had large breed dogs so training at this age has always been a breeze😅 he also has zero interest in all toys I have bought him: squeaky stuffed toys, squeaky rubber toys, flavored teething toys, all kinda of balls, so right now I’m just at a loss for what he would like as all my other dogs love any toy I get them.
    puglover22 likes this.

GordonBrunoPugMom is online now Village Royalty

Default Frank the pug!

I see one picture . Oh my what a tiny boy. He will have to do some growing to be a big boy.
    I would not worry he will be playing in no time and training will come too. He might just need a little more time to find himself and feel comfortable with his home. Where did the breeder have him? How is potty training? Hoping for a good vet visit and the vet might have pointers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by GordonBrunoPugMom; 09-03-2021 at 06:48 AM.

Lu Ci and Ri Ki is offline Village Ya-Ya

Hello and to PugVillage. Glad you and Frank have joined us. He is a tiny but adorable little Puggie puppy. No advice to give you but, hopefully, your Vet will give you some ideas.
    We never touch people so lightly that we don't leave a trace.

puglover22 is offline Village Royalty

Oh my Goodness, what a precious little guy! Sounds like he's on a decent diet. I think it's important to feed puppies "puppy food" because it's got extra calories and stuff that puppies need. Enjoy him, he's so cute! He might get interested in toys at some point, keep trying!

Stephanie, pugmom to Louie Livewire, born 3/15/06
    and my 4 angels waiting at the bridge....
    the very special Junior, my pug angel who is doing agility at the rainbow bridge 11/22/91 - 3/13/06
    the very special Danny, my first dog, a Dandie Dinmont Terrier 4/5/70 - 2/10/84
    the very special Paddy, the pug who was loved around the world, who my family had the pleasure and honor of loving for the last 3 years and 5 months 5/1/98 - 8/6/14
    the very special Frannie, the tiniest baby girl pug we ever knew - came into our lives 12/18/16 - 6/26/21

Rugbysmom is offline Village Royalty

Congratulations! He is adorable, but so tiny I would almost wonder if he is really as old as the breeder said.....is he eating, drinking, pooping & peeing fine? Seems a little strange that he won't play with toys or anything.....I'm glad you are taking him to your own vet on Tues. I don't mean to scare you at all, but I'd keep a close eye on him & if anything seems wrong with him between now & Tues I'd get him in somewhere to be seen by a vet. He is so tiny, & puppies can go downhill quickly......Please keep us posted on how he is doing.
    Rugbysmom

Rugby 7/10/02 - 9/28/15 Miss you, little girl! You're always in my heart!

Molly DOB: 7/6/04

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast