Advice for Piddle Place training (Nilla's early Xmas gift)
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree14Likes
  • 3 Post By tall grass pugs
  • 5 Post By LilyFayre
  • 3 Post By Nina_W
  • 2 Post By Wonka & Nilla
  • 1 Post By LilyFayre

Thread: Advice for Piddle Place training (Nilla's early Xmas gift)

Wonka & Nilla is offline Village Dancing Jitterpug

DefaultAdvice for Piddle Place training (Nilla's early Xmas gift)

Last year the pugs really, really hated going outside to potty in mid-winter, when the temps were below freezing. We would carry them out to potty, they would pee and then start lifting paws (like they were frozen) and run back into the house... then we wait 5 minutes for them to warm up and carry them out again to poo. Ugh. So, we decided that with Nilla's kidney issues and the winter weather setting in, that one of her Christmas presents would be an indoor potty. We got a Piddle Place and followed the instructions for getting it set up. We sprinkled dried/dead leaves on it from outside. I've been scooping their urine out of the snowbanks and putting it on the P.P., but no luck yet. Nilla will stand on it, even sniff a bit at it... but she will "hold it" until she is taken outside to pee. Wonka seems a bit more interested in sniffing it and he's watched me put their urine-snow on it and I tell him "Go potty" - but he's mostly deaf now and so even if I shout it, I'm not really sure he can hear me.
    I know the issue has to do with overcoming a lifetime of training to NOT go potty in the house... but how do we break through that barrier and help them understand that it's OK, so long as they potty right here, in this special spot?
    Suggestions?
    Village Moderator

Mom to
    Wonka the Dancing Pug, CGC, W-FD, W-TFD
    and introducing... Miss Jelly Bean "Beanie" Licorice Pug
    Forever in our hearts:
    Miss Nilla Sassafras Pug August 17, 2002 to April 19, 2018

tall grass pugs is online now Village Orb Weaver Advocate

Perhaps buy a medium size camp tent and put it up not to far from the door, fill the tent with bedding and put the urine snow and poop in the tent. Put pugs in the tent and reward with standard chicken and happy dance. Please give Ms. Nilla a gentle hug from me for preserving her lady Sunday Go to Meeting manners.

LilyFayre is offline Village Tea Pug

Wonder if it would work in reverse - that is you put the Piddle Place outside in a favourite spot and try to get them to use it there first? Once used you can then try to get them to go indoors.

Xanthe very rarely will have a poo on my bathroom floor beside the toilet. I’ve never scolded her for this as I know she’s been taken short and gone in a very logical place that’s easy for me clean up off the ceramic tiled floor anyway. So the bathroom is probably where I’d try putting a Piddle Place in my home.

The only other thing I can think of is to try and reinforce your “toilet” command with clicker training

(see here for deaf dogs) https://clickertraining.com/node/1846

Actually the flash light training could then be used to ‘mark’ the Piddle Place too

I think this is probably going to take a lot of perseverance and patience - both of my puggies have selected specific places outside that they go to and never go to the toilet when they are out on walks. They wait until they get home to use their own toilet - they are both quite set in their ways on this!
    Suzie
    Bree, Xanthe and Darwin

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

Nina_W is offline Village Story Teller

Suzie made the suggestion I was going to - place the piddle place outside to start.

This is a good idea, and Nilla will enjoy the treats coming her way also.

Thanks! I knew you would have good suggestions! We'll give it a try outside. Hopefully she will (quickly) get accustomed to going potty outside on the fake grass pad (placed on top of the snow) and then we can transition it back inside. The weather is supposed to stay "mild" (for us in winter) until Christmas Day and then the next day is supposed to drop down to much colder temps. It looks like we'll be spending the weekend trying to break through that potty barrier before the colder weather sets in!
    She's only had a few accidents in the house so far, but I expect more of them during the coldest months, when she's reluctant to be outside at all. I know that this will be easier for her if she can just learn that it's ok to use it.
    Lu Ci and Ri Ki and Nina_W like this.
    Village Moderator

Mom to
    Forever in our hearts:

LilyFayre is offline Village Tea Pug

Maybe you could also put down some puppy training pads in the places she's most likely to have an accident? A friend of mine years ago covered his entire bedroom carpet with a thick black pvc pond liner when his Rottweiler became incontinent at 5 years old - he loved Rosie so much he would have done anything for her - as I think most of us would do too!
    Wonka & Nilla likes this.
    Suzie
    Bree, Xanthe and Darwin

Quote Originally Posted by LilyFayre View Post
    Maybe you could also put down some puppy training pads in the places she's most likely to have an accident? A friend of mine years ago covered his entire bedroom carpet with a thick black pvc pond liner when his Rottweiler became incontinent at 5 years old - he loved Rosie so much he would have done anything for her - as I think most of us would do too!
    Many years ago we did something similar... our dining room was "carpeted" in puppy pads due to our big old dog losing bladder control in his final year. If Nilla's accidents become more frequent I would certainly consider doing this again. So far they've been easy to clean up and sporadic enough that we don't need to do this quite yet. Thanks for the suggestion though!
    Village Moderator

Mom to
    Forever in our hearts:

+ Reply to Thread