Tips For Helping Blind Pugs Get Around
One of our office co-woofers, Johnson, is a partially blind pug! Here are a couple tips that Lucy uses to help him get around:
1. Try not to make drastic furniture moves – it seems to be easier to just move one or two pieces of furniture at a time rather than changing around an entire room, which a blind dog can find disorientating.
2. Feed food in a regular spot, and if it’s a multi-dog household, place bowls down in the same order every time.
3. For wooden or stone steps, ‘ adhesive ‘sandpaper’ tape works wonders to help with grip. Just apply a strip to the edge of each step – this really helped Johnson to feel with his paws where each step started and built up his confidence in navigating them.
4. Johnson doesn’t have a Muffin’s Halo, but I’ve heard great things about them!
5. Use treats as a reward / incentive to help build up a blind dog’s confidence in getting around in a new home.