Ideal age to breed from my male pug - Page 4
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Like Tree56Likes

Thread: Ideal age to breed from my male pug

KismetPuggies is offline Village VP

While I am certain my answer will go against some of the opinions here, I will give it anyway and continue to keep the forum running with wonderful diversity of opinions and thoughts.

I am a breeder (in the US) .. many on PV know me and know my practices.... In answer to the OP's question. I would wait until 2 to 3 years to breed for several reasons. First, that gives you a lot of time to get him some championships because you DO want him to be a champ if he is going to be a Daddy. Secondly, it takes up to 2.5 years for a pug to fully fill out through the chest and hips.. not always, but usually. You want to make sure he is going to turn out with a body style you want in his offspring.

There are many things to consider, as Snifter and some others have pointed out, but do not let naysayers back you down if you have done all your homework... had him and the bitch tested.. and researched until your eyes cross LOL (yes, I do that regularly)... I let naysayers keep me from breeding for almost 15 years before I started... once I did, I just wish I had started way back then. I love it!

That's just my 2 cents... Breed if you have done your research.. breed if your dog is breed standard... breed if your dog is a champion and has champion lines. Don't breed on a whim.... and please PLEASE don't breed because "he'll be happier" or because "I want my kids to have the experience" or "He's just so cute! I'm dying to see what he'll produce" (yes, those are all things I have heard people say in the past)

Everything has a place... even responsible breeding.
    Kayte and Crew

Kismet Kennels, Exclusively Pugs

DappleDoxieStaff is offline Village Royalty

** That's just my 2 cents... Breed if you have done your research.. breed if your dog is breed standard... breed if your dog is a champion and has champion lines. Don't breed on a whim.... and please PLEASE don't breed because "he'll be happier" or because "I want my kids to have the experience" or "He's just so cute! I'm dying to see what he'll produce" (yes, those are all things I have heard people say in the past)

Everything has a place... even responsible breeding.

And I could not agree more!!!
    Anne

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2050/2197629331_a45c4c5a9f_t.jpg ... & Mandy - The alleged Vicious Beast)

Dynamic Adventures of the DappleDuo

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should just relax and get used to the idea.
    -Robert A. Heinlein

Loopythepug is offline Village Senator

Thank you very much KismetPuggies. That's really all I needed to know. When I created this post I might have made it seem like I had just figured how cute my dog is and decided to breed from him right now, which apparently everyone thought was the case but I had thought about this even before getting him. I thought if I'm getting a male it would be fun to put him in shows and if he likes it and does well maybe breeding would be the next step. I definitely have a lot to learn so we'll see how things go. And yes I genuinely thought it could make him happier as in healthy-happy but that's just something that seemed to make sense in my mind, whether it is true or not it's certainly not the reason for me to want to breed from him. I've had at least 3 different breeders telling me how well built he is and that he looks like he could be breed standard (he's only a puppy you can't tell 100%)and I was very surprised when he got a honor award at the dog show. Looks like a good start to me but as I said previously my decision isn't made and won't be anytime soon it will all depend on Loopy.
    Rugbysmom and sugarskullz like this.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234