Breeding? Pros & cons
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Breeding? Pros & cons

Question Breeding? Pros & cons

I have some doubts about breeding (and having puppies), so I need your advice.
    We have a 2-year old female pug and have started considering mating her. I've heared that it might be dangerous considering c section. On the other hand some veterinarians say that it is a usual operation and that it isn't really risky.
    I would be grateful to hear some of your experiences or things you know or have heared.

Thank you!

EZDave is offline None

Quote Originally Posted by elisa
    I have some doubts about breeding (and having puppies), so I need your advice.
    We have a 2-year old female pug and have started considering mating her. I've heared that it might be dangerous considering c section. On the other hand some veterinarians say that it is a usual operation and that it isn't really risky.
    I would be grateful to hear some of your experiences or things you know or have heared.

Thank you!

My first thought is, if you have doubts then don't do it
    second thought is why are you breeding? money?
    if it is for money please keep in mind that a c-section can run around $1000.00
    And that's gonna cut into the dollar factor not to mention the health risks.
    I am by no means trying to tell you what to do but, if you are even a little doubtful you shouldn't even consider breeding as an option.
    Albert Schweitzer ______________________________________
    For to him that is joined to all the living there is hope:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Kristi is offline Village Mayor

I agree, if you have doubts, the do not do it, imho. There are already soooo many pugs out there and I'd leave it to the career/reputable/experienced breeders who do all of the genetic testing to better the breed, etc. There are lots of pug rescues filled to the brim and certainly no shortage of our sweet little puggies!!! I am just expressing my thoughts and am certainly not trying to sway you one way or the other.
    If it is extra income needed, then like dave said, you might end up loosing money, not making it. Plus, I have heard a c section is risky, but I have zilch experience with that. No doubt others will be answering with experience or a lot of knowledge!
    Good luck in making your decision and see you around pv.
    Kristi & George:
    pugged by Taun-Taun, Mei-Mei, Di-Di and Chicoyotita!

See us all on DOGSTER!
    http://dogster.com/pet_page.php?i=125175&j=t

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

I think this thread in the breeding forum pretty much sums up everything and answers your questions.

https://pugvillage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21821
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Sabra - Owned by Mack & Mattie
    FashionableFurbabies
    Central Florida Pug Rescue

Click HERE for 2007 PV Secret Santa Info!!
    Deadline for sign-ups is October 10th!!

PugSavers is offline Village Royalty

Hopefully you have lots of money if you want to get into breeding pugs! Not only for the testing that you need to do prior to breeding, but all of the vet bills you will have during the pregnancy. Then, if you work, you will need to take off at minimum 2 to 3 weeks to take care of the puppies.

A good friend of mine is a responsible breeder. She bred one of her females, got one puppy that lived for 2 weeks and passed away. Total cost: $4,500.00.

PLEASE consider all of the things it takes to be a responsible breeder and get into breeding only if you are willing to do these things. Pug Rescues across the country are taking in hundreds of pugs each year from irresponsible breeders ( A responsible breeder will always take their pug back no matter what medical problems they have or the dogs age..they would not put this burden on rescue).
    Roxane
    Mama to Betty (now age 15)
    Forever Mama to my angel boy Bailey,my heart,my love
    2/14/95-2/14/10 and my other angel boy Tiny Tim,who taught me so much about loving a differently abled pug
    4/10/98-3/7/10

www.pugsavers.com
    "Rescuing Pugs & Pug Mixes in Northern California and Northern Nevada"

"You can lead a ho to culture but you can't make her think."

"If you can't afford the vet, you can't afford the pet!"

Check out our Cafe Press store www.cafepress.com/pugsavers
    for Pug Items to benefit rescue!

Blanche is offline Village Gaia

Please read the thread about breeding. I have never wanted to breed any of my dogs, but if I had any desire, reading about what Sarina just went through would have squelched that.

In my experience, it is almost impossible to reputably breed dogs and make money at it. And if you just want to breed because your pug is cute--there's enough cute pugs already looking for himes.

Some other things to think about are:
    What is you reason for breeding? If you are having doubts please do alot or research and talk to loads of people. It is not just something you can just run out and do. It is scary and a huge responsibility.
    Has your female been assesed?
    Really you need to know what you have in your dog. How is she conformationally? Her health also needs to be considered-patellas,hips and eyes are a good place to start. What are her faults and what are her strong points? What lines does she come from? Try and find out all you can about the dogs behind her in her pedigree. Health and health issues(very important) conformation and temperment. What are these lines producing?
    Then you have to consider a sutiable match for her and let me tell you that is a job and a half. Do you want to line breed or to out cross?

Stud dogs-stud service can run $600-$1000
    This is all Pre-breeding stuff that needs to be considered.
    C-sections as well as any time they are put under can pose a risk. You need to find a vet that you trust and that will do them for you. You also need to make sure that can take you after hours because it never fails to be 2am Sunday morning.
    Sick puppies can some in many forms and will not last long with out proper help. Learning to tube feed is a must.
    Then finding GOOD homes for the puppies. I will tell you from expirence not easy or fun. I dread placing puppies. There are allot of nutballs out there. Crooks and scammers and down righ nasty people who will tell you everything you want to hear to get that dog from you. You need contracts(very important)
    There is also the cost of registering the puppies,tattoo or microchip and vet checks to keep in mind.
    You will not come out ahead $ wise.
    There are some wonderful things to come out of breeding,lots of joy and satisfaction but is not for everyone.
    My advice is if you decide to do it have a mentor. Someone who you admire and that can help you make the right decision.
    These are just my opinions from my expirence.

FourteenLegs is offline Village Diva

Ask yourself this question first and foremost. Is my little pug my beloved pet and constant companion or my breeder? Then decide.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
    Check out the PugVillage Books - buy one from HERE and help rescue.

Rona and the Principessas Imogen and Pearl. Holding in our hearts forever LouLou and Puck who have been reunited at the Bridge.
    All my babies at the Bridge - LouLou, Puck, Piaff, Donato, Persia, Dragon, Smugs, (Pugs) and Madam and her son Woolfie (horses).

DantePugs is offline Founding Member

Lots of good responses here...

Breeding is something that if you have an interest in it, you should learn everything there is to know about it before going ahead and starting.

Not only does this result in you going into it fully aware of the many drawbacks and pitfalls, but it also leaves you better prepared to deal with the entire process....It gives you, your Pug, and the pups the best shot at things working out well if you learn ahead of time.

What has always struck me about breeding is that some people just casually go about it and learn on the fly....Most of the time, those people end up in a panic over things they shouldnt panic over, and are casual about things they should panic over....In other words, when we learn on the fly, we don't enough and the decisons we make are usually the wrong ones.

I'd suggest reading a lot about the subject...posts here, articles on the web, books...And then if what you've read still leaves you interested, take the next step and go to a dog show....speak to some breeders, get a first hand account of what breeding is like, and maybe if you're still interested, see if you can hook up with a professional breeder and apprentice with him or her.....It's a great way to learn the ins and outs of breeding, and you get to see the entire process from start to finish once, before you take the plunge.
    DantePugs

Smile Thank you

Thank you all for your answers and suggestions!

Now I really started to seriously doubt. We weren't thinking about breeding for money or intendeed to do it as "bussines". What we were considering is just having one litter. We will seriously think and then decide, although I think we are closer to not doing it.

Thank you.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast