DNA testing - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: DNA testing

PocketRocket is offline Village Puppy

Hello again guys!

Thank you for all of your kind words! He is very handsome and dearly loved by the whole family! Thank you for the advice on trying some agility - I'm going to have a look into it because it looks like lots of fun and definitely something he'd enjoy.

So, I contacted the KC who basically weren't interested but did give me a number for the National Pug Dog Club. I spoke to a lady who told me that even just from his colour, he can't be a pedigree Pug. The DNA test has arrived so we're planning to get it done and sent off on Saturday. Should take 2-3 weeks so I'll keep you all updated. [IMG][/IMG]

LilyFayre is offline Village Tea Pug

And therein lays the problem. Experienced and knowledgeable breeders have been complaining for some time to the Kennel Club that these NRC (non recognised colour) pugs cannot possibly genetically be pure pedigree pugs but the Kennel Club continues to take the money and register them. This leads to exactly the situation you now find yourself in. You trusted the KC registration that you were buying a pedigree pug and probably paid a higher price for a 'rare' colour too, only to later discover that your puppy isn't at all what you believed you were paying for.

By the way, do your research on which DNA test you use. I've vaguely looked at them a while back and some only seem able to give parent and grandparents whilst the newer more sophisticated tests seem to be able to discern much further back than that. When you think how quickly these people could breed successive litters the cross could well have occurred quite a few generations back, and it's then no problem to falsify the registration by just giving a genuine pug's registered name. That's another thing that's now happening - people are finding that their dogs registered names have been used by other people to falsely register litters. Other than complaining to the Kennel Club to have their dogs name removed from these bogus registrations no other action seems to be being taken.
    Nina_W likes this.

Bugoneal is offline Village Featherpug

He is just the cutest boy!
    ~~mary - loved by Colbie the Vizsla Pug, plus many featherpugs! Remembering our heart pugs Bug and Sugar at the Rainbow Bridge with Sissy the Chihuahua Pug

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12