DNA testing
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: DNA testing

PocketRocket is offline Village Puppy

Default DNA testing

Hello everyone,

So I've decided to make the plunge and get Alfie DNA tested. He was sold to me as a KC registered Pug which I have recently found out could mean absolutely nothing.. but anyway, as Alfie continues to grow so do my doubts. He's long legged, bodied and doesn't have as squished a face as expected in his breed. My opinion is that he's been crossbred then bred back into the Pug line somewhere. If this is the case then it's unlikely anything will come out of the DNA testing but I'm curious as to what you guys think?

Just wanted to state that I love him no matter what but after hearing that the breeder has sold a whopping fifteen litters in twelve months I have become determined to do what I can to help these poor doggos!

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

sugarskullz is offline Village Adornista & SugarSkull Junkie

Either way, he is a cutie pie!
    **Patrice - owned by Miss Lola Falana**

Thank you :)

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

puglover22 is offline Village Royalty

[QUOTE=PocketRocket;3247497]
    after hearing that the breeder has sold a whopping fifteen litters in twelve months I have become determined to do what I can to help these poor doggos!

[IMG][URL=http://s1378.photobucket.com/user/BethArmett/media/4FAE9253

how is getting DNA testing helping the other dogs?

Stephanie, pugmom to Louie Livewire, born 3/15/06
    and my 4 angels waiting at the bridge....
    the very special Junior, my pug angel who is doing agility at the rainbow bridge 11/22/91 - 3/13/06
    the very special Danny, my first dog, a Dandie Dinmont Terrier 4/5/70 - 2/10/84
    the very special Paddy, the pug who was loved around the world, who my family had the pleasure and honor of loving for the last 3 years and 5 months 5/1/98 - 8/6/14
    the very special Frannie, the tiniest baby girl pug we ever knew - came into our lives 12/18/16 - 6/26/21

It isn't, but surely if it comes back as false advertising/sale then I can take legal action against them and stop them from doing it to someone else. I don't know, I have no idea about legal stuff but it surely it means that I can build a case.
    puglover22 likes this.

LilyFayre is offline Village Tea Pug

Hi!

Was he by any chance advertised as 'carrying the rare white gene'?

If you join the KC pug breeders UK group on Facebook who won't permit any advertising for sale of non recognised colours being of the belief that they are all cross breeds you should find a few people able to offer you some suggestions. One lady recently wrote that she'd had her dog DNA tested and when it came back as being a probability of 79% pug the other 21% was an amazing array of other breeds, she was able to get most of her money back from the breeder.

As I understand it "Embark" is currently the most sophisticated and extensive DNA test available but it is expensive at $199

Here's an URL for a review of DNA tests - and do let us know how you get on!

https://www.caninejournal.com/dog-dna-tests-reviews/
    Last edited by LilyFayre; 06-05-2017 at 05:42 PM.

LilyFayre is offline Village Tea Pug

Ah, I've just seen your other post describing him as a silver chinchilla - which is a non recognised colour, but that doesn't prevent them from being Kennel Club registered. The KC aren't the slightest bit interested in the fact that these dogs cannot genetically be pedigree pugs - they are just too happy apparently to take the registration fees. The only concession they've made is a refusal to register Merle pugs because of the high genetic health risks involved with breeding merles.

Wonka & Nilla is offline Village Dancing Jitterpug

He's a cutie either way.
    We've had a few people here on PugVillage get DNA testing for their mixed pugs and the results are always fascinating! I hope you will share the results when you get them.
    Village Moderator

Mom to Miss Jelly Bean "Beanie" Licorice Pug
    Forever in our hearts:
    Miss Nilla Sassafras Pug August 17, 2002 to April 19, 2018
    And my Heart-Dog...
    Wonka the Dancing Pug, CGC, W-FD, W-TFD.
    Februrary 11, 2005 to May 10, 2020. Miss you, sweet boy!

Jenb is offline Village Mayor

He sure is handsome!

Bugoneal is offline Village Featherpug

Not having a squishy nose is a blessing in some ways. You weren't intending on showing or breeding. You got him for a companion. Keep his weight under control and you will have a healthy, loving companion to walk with, hike with, just be with. He is very handsome and I'm sure he will continue to be a handsome companion. Just love him and he will love you back. Because you said he is a bit long legged - common for a puppy - have you thought of doing agility? It could be fun for both of you. Just a thought being thrown out there.............. BTW I'd love to see more pics!
    sugarskullz likes this.
    ~~mary - loved by Colbie the Vizsla Pug, plus many featherpugs! Remembering our heart pugs Bug and Sugar at the Rainbow Bridge with Sissy the Chihuahua Pug

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast