UPDATED: How to clean your Pugs Eyes and Nose Wrinkle - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: UPDATED: How to clean your Pugs Eyes and Nose Wrinkle

Kat
    Kat is offline Village Governor

I have to clean Ruby's face daily, otherwise it starts to smell. With the high humidity my area has been having lately, her nose wrinkle especially has been difficult to keep dry. I use vaseline after I clean and dry her wrinkles, but I was wondering if there was another alternative to vaseline, like a baby butt cream such as Aveeno. Also, some hair is missing in her nose wrinkle, and it does look a bit red and irritated at times. Im very gentle when I clean her face and make sure everything is nice and clean, and this has never happened before, but I cant seem to get rid of it. Is there something I can use to help with healing it and protecting again bacterial growth? Any suggestions would be helpful! I was using Pampers sensitive baby wipes on her face, but recently I switched to using warm water, and once in a while I mix the warm water with Tropiclean soapfree puppy shampoo, clean the wrinkles with that first, then clean with clear water and dry. Can I put a small amount of baby powder into the crease, then follow with baby butt cream? I know tropiclean also makes facial wipes for puppies, but Im still looking into those before I buy them. Anyway sorry for going on and on, but yeah, any advice is great :) I really want her nose wrinkle to get back to normal.

Pinkles is offline Village Senator

My vet advised against using vaseline afterwards as this keeps the area moist and promotes the growth of bacteria
    ....... Maisie ............... Squig................. Pickle .............. Henry
    .(at Rainbow Bridge)

Rosiepug is offline Moderator et Village Parisienne

I wouldn't use vaseline either but if you have a real infection the Vet can give you 'Fuciderm' which works great on fungal and bacterial skin irritations.

You can also use ear cleaning solution to clean the folds. I have used Epi-otic by Virbac and the ear cleaner by Leo. I'm now using Johnsons Diamond Eyes which recommends in the directions to clean skin folds and wrinkles..... it's a daily job!
    www.parischiennepugs.com

]acqueline et
    Les Parischiennes,
    L'Impératrice Rosephine de Bonaparte
    La Marquise Halcyone de Pompadour

PUDDING @ 9 wks
    CRUFTS QUALIFIED 2010

Mademoiselle Amaryllis qui m'attende au pont d'arc 27.3.99-14.11.06

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

Denika is offline Village Governor

Is this the right thing? It's from Drs. Foster and Smith.
    Protective Ophthalmic Ointment
    Protect your pet's eyes before shampooing, flea dipping, tear stain removal, etc.*White mineral oil and petrolatum ointment creates a protective barrier over the eye*Great for dogs with dry eye, as well
    Form a protective barrier over your pet's eyes with this mild protective ointment. Ideal for dogs and cats alike, and it contains white mineral oil and petrolatum to coat your pet's eyes and create an invisible film barrier against irritation. Ideal for application before shampooing, flea dipping, tear stain removal, or clipping around the eyes. Also recommended for use on dogs and cats of any age with keratoconjunctivitis sicca (dry eye). 1/4 oz. tube.
    Last edited by Denika; 08-04-2010 at 11:47 PM.
    Denika-Mommy to JAMIE, a two-legger, JASMINE, our new two legger, LIBERTY (Pug), JUSTICE (Pug), our foster failure SPARKY (Pug)
    Friend Request Us On Facebook!

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...is?ref=profile
    Read about God Blessing Us and Our Son
    http://www.cleftadvocate.org/ff0404Jamie.html

Squeezable Beasties is offline Village Mayor

Quote Originally Posted by Denika View Post
    Is this the right thing? It's from Drs. Foster and Smith.
    Protective Ophthalmic Ointment
    Protect your pet's eyes before shampooing, flea dipping, tear stain removal, etc.*White mineral oil and petrolatum ointment creates a protective barrier over the eye*Great for dogs with dry eye, as well
    Form a protective barrier over your pet's eyes with this mild protective ointment. Ideal for dogs and cats alike, and it contains white mineral oil and petrolatum to coat your pet's eyes and create an invisible film barrier against irritation. ... Also recommended for use on dogs and cats of any age with keratoconjunctivitis sicca (dry eye). 1/4 oz. tube.
    Sounds like it (Dog Eye Care: Protective Ophthalmic Ointment - They have even approximated the tube's print layout...)
    AlliVet (huge price increase, though. A few months ago it was around $4.) Puralube Vet Ointment - Allivet Trusted Pet Pharmacy

gilbodick is offline New to the Village

May i ask where could i get the cotton stripes? if theres a brand or specific name so i could look for it~ anywhere i go, i cant find anything like that thank you very much.

connell2rb is offline Village Puppy

i'm so glad i joined as my friend had said it was full of good advice for new pug owners and indeed she was right so i would like to thank you all as a new pug owner i am reading up on everything i need to know for when my little girl comes home on the 4th november.i am in debates at the moment on her name i'm thinking tallulah or angelica what do you guys think xxx her she is xxxx

tooly is offline New to the Village

Hi Rosiepug,

I clean the fold under my pug’s nose about every 2 weeks. All I do is apply an over the counter disinfectant using my finger. It’s not easy and he puts up resistants but it can be done. You apply the disinfectant and wipe your finger and keep doing that until no more gunk comes out. After you do that for a while you will not get gunk on your finger any more. I notice that the summer is more of a problem then the winter. My Vet told me as long as that area is dry your okay. When it becomes moist you should see your Vet. Make sure you are very careful and don’t get the disinfectant near your dogs eyes.
    Thank!!

krystal27 is offline New to the Village

I got my pug about a month ago, a 3yo rescue pug who quite clearly is not accustomed to having his nose wrinkle, or anything else cleaned. I've tried several times to clean his nose wrinkle and put stuff on his nose as I was instructed but he was violently opposed to the point he would go into a seizure like convulsions and I'd have to release him because I was scared of hurting him. Tonight I tried again with the encouragement of the adoption agency I got him through, but this time I had a different tactic.

At dinner time I got cleaning wipes for his nose wrinkle, and the baby oil for his nose ready, and then, I PREPARED HIS FAVORITE DINNER - fresh mince with a scattering of dry food. He was scuttling around in manic circles of excitement and couldn't wait to get into it.

I then grabbed him, sat on the edge of the couch, and scooped him up so his back was to my chest, and had my sister stand in front of us with his dinner waving under his nose.

No surprises, when I then started cleaning his nose wrinkle and applying baby oil to his very, very dry nose, he protested, so my sister started to back away. Every time he squirmed, she would take a step backwards, every time he let me clean, she would stay where she was. Soon, he was standing there calmly letting me scrub away inside his filthy nose wrinkle, and let me apply several layers of baby oil. The second it was over he was released to his dinner, with lots of pats and praise. BREAKTHROUGH.

michaelbrown122 is offline New to the Village

Best foruma of wrinkle care is Celtrixa

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast