FDA warning about topical flea and tick medications
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FDA warning about topical flea and tick medications

M'Dear Pug is offline Administrator Emerita

Default FDA warning about topical flea and tick medications

I saw an interesting story yesterday on a national news channel regarding FDA reports of topical flea and tick medications causing serious problems. These are the liquid medications pet owners are instructed to usually apply to the dog or cat's neck/shoulder area.

I did not catch the entire report but cats and small breed dogs are most affected and a veterinarian cited instances of severe chemical burns, made much worse if they get infected. As long as I live, I'll never forget Pugdad Michael's Sugar Ray's burns several years ago. Also the chemicals themselves can cause neurological or respiratory problems.

With flea and tick season practically upon us, anyone considering using these products might want to look around and find the latest information. The FDA says they're extremely concerned but won't do anything more than warn consumers of the potential for danger.
    http://img.mypicgallery.com/Extra/redleash_large.jpg
    Those we have held in our arms for a little while,
    we hold in our hearts forever.

puglover22 is offline Village Royalty

yes I remember poor Sugar Ray's ordeal with flea protection. I don't remember if it was frontline or another brand. I've used frontline on Louie without a problem, and I only buy it from the vet. I've heard of problems with bootleg ones bought off of e-bay, etc. I feel like I need to continue using it because he goes to agility class with all kinds of dogs, and goes out in the field to do his stuff before class. The field that all the dogs go in. I can't trust that none of them have flea's or ticks.
    One thing I wonder about is that Junior had mast cell tumors for the 2nd 1/2 of his life and I believe the first one started shortly after he had his first frontline treatment. I don't know if it was a coincidence or not, but he was at the perfect age to develop MCT's, he was 7 1/2.
    But so far (knock on wood), Louie hasn't had any problems.

Stephanie, pugmom to Louie Livewire, born 3/15/06
    and my 3 angels waiting at the bridge....
    the very special Junior, my pug angel who is doing agility at the rainbow bridge 11/22/91 - 3/13/06
    the very special Danny, my first dog, a Dandie Dinmont Terrier 4/5/70 - 2/10/84
    the very special Paddy, the pug who was loved around the world, who my family had the pleasure and honor of loving for the last 3 years and 5 months 5/1/98 - 8/6/14

PugSavers is offline Village Royalty

I heard a bit on NPR where the FDA is doing studies on the flea and tick products because of problems. The FDA rep said "Always, always, always follow the directions precisely."
    I thought about the thread here of someone asking people to "eyeball" the weight of her pug and some people saying the dosage for the higher weight would be OK which made me shiver with fear.

I hope a warning from the FDA might make people a little more aware and careful. These animals cannot make theser decisions for themselves, they need us to be their protectors.
    Roxane
    Mama to Betty (now age 15)
    Forever Mama to my angel boy Bailey,my heart,my love
    2/14/95-2/14/10 and my other angel boy Tiny Tim,who taught me so much about loving a differently abled pug
    4/10/98-3/7/10

www.pugsavers.com
    "Rescuing Pugs & Pug Mixes in Northern California and Northern Nevada"

"You can lead a ho to culture but you can't make her think."

"If you can't afford the vet, you can't afford the pet!"

Check out our Cafe Press store www.cafepress.com/pugsavers
    for Pug Items to benefit rescue!

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

Russ is offline Village Royalty
    Northern Virginia-Fear is the mind-killer.Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.

I don't like those flea meds. A flea comb does wonderful and speaking for Mz Tilly, she LOVES the flea comb. It's like the ultimate scratch (though its not scratching her). Starting about this time of year I keep the comb on a table outside by the door. Before she comes in from doing her thing I run the comb down her legs and tail. A quick back swipe and all done. I do the legs first since that is the most likely place to get them.

It adds about 30 seconds to the outside trip.

Of course if the outside area is infested with fleas there is a different problem and sometimes that just can't be dealt with and the flea and tick meds may be the only realistic way to go, but if it was just the yard, I'd clear them from the yard rather than put the chems on Tilly

Suri is offline Village Secret Super-Star

I put frontline on about every 6 weeks from April to about Sept-Oct, mainly because of ticks. They get ticks, and also drop them into the bed, and often they are the deer ticks. I wish I didn't have to use anything. I hate chemicals. This year I will measure out a the smallest amount that seems to work.

It really freaked me out last year when i had termites treated and the guy said it is the same chemical as frontline.

Russ is offline Village Royalty
    Northern Virginia-Fear is the mind-killer.Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.

Luckly no ticks yet, my brothers beagle did come down with lymes. The deer have only been in the front yard as far as I can tell. What was freaky was the deer prints right up at the front windows of the living room windows. were they looking for food in the house????

shaynapug is offline True Village Royalty

I am looking into using holistic means to protect my guys this year!
    Diane
    Shayna Pugs
    http://www.midmichiganpugclub.com
    Chairperson of PDCA Rescue Committee

Dieselsmom is offline Village Royalty

Makayla will not be getting Frontline this year. There are some reports that Frontline isn't good for DM dogs, so with her condition, I've decided to no longer use Frontline for her. Unfortunately we do have ticks here - not sure about fleas as I've always been pretty religious about using Frontline. I still haven't decided what to do about whether or not we'll use Frontline on D and Grace this year.
    Rachel - mom to Diesel, Makayla and Gracie Lou Freebush

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

ownedby5pugs is offline Village Mayor

I never did trust these products and will never use them on my fur kids. I have never had a flea issue and don't have to worry about ticks. Any chemicals can cause seizure issues and or other major health issues.

Marie

Donnag is offline Village Royalty

I have been using Frontline Plus for over 5 yrs w/ Viv and have never had a problem. We have terrible flea and tick issues where I live so I'm not sure what to do, if I should keep on using it or try another method.
    Donna, Vivian and Stewie..... Rupert forever in my heart

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast