Advice Needed
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice Needed

mjem1105 is offline New to the Village

Unhappy Advice Needed

Hi everyone,

I've had 6 month old Sophie for about 4 months now. A couple of months ago I was told by the vet that she has demodectic mange. I have been to the vet every 2-3 weeks since I've had her and I'm very frustrated. Sophie has taken Ivomec, clavomox, an immune system booster, and a follicular shampoo. I saw the vet today and she was put on a new antibiotic, and given more ivomec. It seems excessive to me. Is it time for a new vet or is this normal? Also, is ivomec the best solution? And how long does demodex usually continue? Why hasn't my vet given mitaban or tried another treatment? Lots of questions, I know. I just want my sweet Sophie to get better. Thanks!

shaynapug is offline True Village Royalty

I know that it can take a while .......It also depends on how bad the mange is.

Someone from rescue will probably be able to tell you more.

Seeing it being resolved!
    Diane
    Shayna Pugs
    http://www.midmichiganpugclub.com
    Chairperson of PDCA Rescue Committee

6 Beautiful Pugs is offline Village Caretaker of the Old & Broken

Our rescues usually get Promeris for demodex.

Have they done bloodwork to look for an underlying issue which has her imune system depressed?

Take care,
    Lisa
    In a gentle way, you can shake the world.

- Mohandas Gandhi

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

mjem1105 is offline New to the Village

Thanks for your response lisa! No bloodwork. I was told that it's common in pugs and that because she is a puppy, her immune system just isn't strong enough to keep the mites from multiplying. Is bloodwork the next step? I just really don't like giving her all that medication when it doesn't seem to be getting better. She isn't bothered by it at all and doesn't seem to notice so that is the bright side to the situation. She has a few dry bald spots on the legs, chest and head, and it doesn't seem to be getting worse...it just isn't getting better. I haven't heard anything about Promeris in my research. Has that worked well for you?

tall grass pugs is offline Village Orb Weaver Advocate

How much experience does your vet have with pugs? If the puppy is from a breeder, what vet does the breeder use? Ivomectin products are rough things play around with, I would ask for a different opinion using a different vet. I am sure that Lisa can tell you a little about using food supplements to upgrade the puppy's general condition.

6 Beautiful Pugs is offline Village Caretaker of the Old & Broken

I've not personally had or fostered a demodex dog, but many have come through rescue and that is what the vet gives them.

By six months old, her immune system should be functioning well enough to have kept the endemic demodex mites under control. I would have bloodwork done to check for immune problems.

Also feed the best nutrition you can afford and look into some immune boosting supplements.

Take care,
    Lisa
    In a gentle way, you can shake the world.

- Mohandas Gandhi

pugzrawk is offline Village Governor

My Lola was about 6 months old when she developed demodectic mange due to a suspected low immune system. I caught it very early so the treatments of Ivomec (ivermectin) worked well and she was rid of the mites in approximately 2 months.

You didn't mention scrapings, has your Vet done them on your Sophie?
    My Vet let me look under the microscope to see the live mites, gross, but it allowed me to understand what we were up against.
    Ask if you can see them under the microscope.
    Two clean scrapings is what they're looking for to diagnose you're mange free.
    I wish your Sophie the best.

Maureen

Rosiepug is offline Moderator et Village Parisienne

Demodex can take a long time to cure. Ivomectin is an excellent treatment. The antibiotics are for secondary infections caused by the Demodex. Three or four months is not an unusual amount of time for this ailment to clear up.
    Mitaban is a much more toxic treatment. It's always good to have faith in your vet and work together. It's important that you continue skin scrapings until you have two consecutive clean ones, showing not dead mites but no mites. Stopping treatment to early can result in a relapse.
    www.parischiennepugs.com

]acqueline et
    Les Parischiennes,
    L'Impératrice Rosephine de Bonaparte
    La Marquise Halcyone de Pompadour

PUDDING @ 9 wks
    CRUFTS QUALIFIED 2010

Mademoiselle Amaryllis qui m'attende au pont d'arc 27.3.99-14.11.06

Bethy is offline Village Admiral

All dogs carry demodectic mites, and the majority of these dogs, never have a problem. That being said, puppies and dogs, that have a compromised immune system, are the ones that have the problems. Some puppies inherit a weakened immune system from their dams, some don't, but even the ones that don't, can have their immune systems compromised due to teething, estrus, poor health, parasites, etc. When the immune system is compromised, or weak, it allows the mange mites the ability to reproduce in greater numbers, causing the resulting hair loss. Normally, in a dog with a healthy immune system, the immune system inhibits the reproduction of the mites, so there are no problems. It's not just because your dog is a puppy, rather it's because your dog is a puppy, whose immune system is weakened, either from inheriting a weakened immune system, or through stress. She won't get better without treatment, and the treatment may take a long time, depending on the degree of involvement, or the treatment used.

Jacqueline, I don't mean to condradict, but it's the other way around. The ivermectin is more dangerous than Mitaban dips. Ivermectin can cause liver failure, and the toxicity ratio is much higher for Ivermectin. We don't use it at our clinic, except for the very worst cases............ones that can not be cured by any other means available.

I have used Mitaban for many years, without any bad reactions. Ivermectin may work, but the risks are higher, and I myself, find Mitaban, to be quicker at curing demodex.
    Last edited by Bethy; 07-26-2010 at 04:05 PM.
    BETH AND THE JELLYROLL GANG
    www.jellyrollpugs.com

HOME OF:
    Champion Rose's Serendipity
    Champion Jellyroll Sherfame Bre-z Bea
    Champion Bre-z Manor Jellyroll Pogo
    Champion Bre-z Manor's Frozen Assets
    Champion Bre-z Manor Jellyroll Jolly
    Jellyroll Bre-z Sparkle'n'Bling..AKC Major Pointed
    Rose's Licker-ish..AKC Pointed
    Bre-z Jellyroll Ginny Fizz

At the Rainbow Bridge...
    Champion Bre-z Manor Jellyroll Wally
    Jellyroll Sherfame Bre-z Boy, AKC Major Pointed
    Mary Margaret Furperson, our first pug

shaynapug is offline True Village Royalty

Demodex rages when a pup is put under stress or goes through puberty. It can start with a female's first heat. ....So 6-8 months old is not an unheard of time to start at all.
    Diane
    Shayna Pugs
    http://www.midmichiganpugclub.com
    Chairperson of PDCA Rescue Committee

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast