Demodex Positive - PLEASE HELP!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Demodex Positive - PLEASE HELP!

Noe
    Noe is offline New to the Village

Unhappy Demodex Positive - PLEASE HELP!

Hey everyone, sorry to bring that up, I'm sure it's already been discussed a thousand times but i'm very worried and I've got like a million questions right now.

My perfectly healthy, 13-month old male pug was just diagnosed with demodex and the doctor recommended a treatment with Ivermectin (0.4 ml daily, given orally for God knows how long). That's all. I asked about dips, baths, special diet changes or vitamins but she said that Ivermectin is all the dog needs.

How does that sound to everyone? Should I change anything in the dog's diet to help his immune system? He eats Royal Canin dry food (after trying every "6-star" dog food, that's the one that fits him best).

Also, is demodex a life threatening disease? I mean not right now, but is it true what I've read that it's like the AIDS of dogs? Is it possible that he will still live a long life without any trouble in the future?

Does anybody have any Vet food or vitamins to recommend?

Thank you so much, my regular vet is out of town and he will be for the next two weeks and I'm getting a little crazy right now.

miss_emily is offline Village Mayor

Hey,
    Just wanted to give you some input on demodex. I took in a stray chow mix that had demodex when I got her. She looked terrible and missing tons of hair.
    Here is a picture of what she looked like after I shaved her down:
    http://hphotos-snc3.fbcdn.net/hs014...._1099629_n.jpg

It's a very loong looooong journey, especially if it's pretty bad. She was on Ivermectin for 2 months and her coat pretty much completely came back. After the demodex has been resolved, it USUALLY doesn't come back. There is one dog that comes into the clinic that keeps getting it...and is 13 years old, but his immune system is pretty bad in general and has many problems. In the 9 months that Gracie has been off the ivermectin, she has been good since. I wouldn't worry about changing diet or doing anything drastic. The ivermectin should take care of things.
    *Emily*
    Frankie-Pug Mix

Come and visit our blog!

miss_emily is offline Village Mayor

Here was probably around 4 weeks after she started treatment:
    http://hphotos-snc3.fbcdn.net/hs038...._5224703_n.jpg

Here she is in March:
    http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._6306771_n.jpg

I started the treatments On October 16th and on January 1st she got her first hearguard:):):)
    Here she is in March
    *Emily*
    Frankie-Pug Mix

Come and visit our blog!

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

Bethy is offline Village Admiral

O.K., just to let you know, that everything will be fine. Your dog is exactly within the age range when mange can usually appear, and it is VERY common, and NOTHING to be overly concerned about, at all.

All dogs are born with demodectic mange mites on their skin........ALL dogs. However, in some dogs, in times of stress, like teething, puberty, estrus, sickness, or other stresses, or through heredity, the immune system of certain dogs can become compromised. The immune system usually keeps the mange mites from reproducing, but in a dog whose immune system is compromised, the mange mites are allowed to multiply in numbers great enough to cause the hair loss you see with mange.

Now, as to treatment, it differs from vet to vet. The vet I personally work for, absolutely WILL NOT use Ivermectin, because of the very, very toxic effect on a dog's liver. Doc uses the Mitaban dips, except for cases where the effects of the mange are so extreme, that the Ivermectin is the last resort, and then he hates to use it, because it is so dangerous, even though it is an effective treatment.

Now, some will tell you that the dips are more toxic than the Ivermectin, but this simply isn't true, and I have used them often over the years on my own dogs, and have found them very effective, and my dogs have never suffered any ill effects from the Mitaban dips.

It's up to you and your vet to decide on the treatment for your dog.....I'm just telling the experiences I have had.

Demodes is far from a death sentence, but must be treated, because a dog can get very ill from secondary bacterial skin infections, if the demodex is allowed to become severe.

You don't need to panic, because demodex is extremely treatable, and usually does not reappear.

Also, FYI, for those who don't know, Ivermectin is a medication that they use on cattle and hogs, to prevent parasites. On the label of the medication, it says NOT to use it on animals meant for human consumption, which means, that it is systemic, and toxic, not only to the animal being treated, but to anyone who eats the meat of that animal.

I didn't know how many people knew that.
    Last edited by Bethy; 08-09-2010 at 10:30 PM.
    BETH AND THE JELLYROLL GANG
    www.jellyrollpugs.com

HOME OF:
    Champion Rose's Serendipity
    Champion Jellyroll Sherfame Bre-z Bea
    Champion Bre-z Manor Jellyroll Pogo
    Champion Bre-z Manor's Frozen Assets
    Champion Bre-z Manor Jellyroll Jolly
    Jellyroll Bre-z Sparkle'n'Bling..AKC Major Pointed
    Rose's Licker-ish..AKC Pointed
    Bre-z Jellyroll Ginny Fizz

At the Rainbow Bridge...
    Champion Bre-z Manor Jellyroll Wally
    Jellyroll Sherfame Bre-z Boy, AKC Major Pointed
    Mary Margaret Furperson, our first pug

shaynapug is online now True Village Royalty

I know of some dogs that get a reaction to the dips...and are lethargic for a few days.....but they can dilute it by half and it's not as strong.
    Diane
    Shayna Pugs
    http://www.midmichiganpugclub.com
    Chairperson of PDCA Rescue Committee

Denika is offline Village Governor

My pug Liberty just had her 8th and LAST dip last week. She never has shown ANY side effects from the dips. Our vet said that both the dips and the Ivermectin had potential side effects, but that the side effects of the Ivermectin were a lot more serious and dangerous than the side effects of the dips.
    Denika-Mommy to JAMIE, a two-legger, JASMINE, our new two legger, LIBERTY (Pug), JUSTICE (Pug), our foster failure SPARKY (Pug)
    Friend Request Us On Facebook!

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...is?ref=profile
    Read about God Blessing Us and Our Son
    http://www.cleftadvocate.org/ff0404Jamie.html

Stazz is offline Village Admiral

My 11 month old Yoda is currently on Demodex treatment.
    We were lucky, we caught his mange rather early on, just one small localized patch on his leg. We've been treating him with Advocate, have had no problems what so ever, and more than likely, his next skin scrape (Cross fingers!!!)will be demodex free !!!

I know how scary it is to hear something is wrong with your pug baby, but TRUST me, there is nothing to fear. MOST pugs are susceptible to demodex, and it's not a big diagnosis at all. I panicked i the beginning, fro quite a while, but there are alot more serious things out there. If you diligent and do everything you can, with the UTMOST of pateience...these things take alot of time. Yoda has been demodex positive for 4 months now, its a long process, but so worth it in the end.

You can pm me if ya need anything !
    Thinking of your little pugger!
    Stace
    Mom to Yoda & Leia

xxx

Noe
    Noe is offline New to the Village

Thank you so much everyone, I'm feeling quite relieved.

It's weird how demodex is such a common disease and yet every vet uses a different method of treatment. I suppose every pug has its own treatment, right?

My pug is not missing any hair, he just has some spots above the left eye and the left part of his wrinkle is red.

The vet told me about the side effects of Ivermectim and that's why we decided to treat him with the minimum dose of the medicine (0.4 ml per day isn't much, is it?).

He seems to be taking it well, but it's the second day so who knows. Is there anything I can do to protect his liver?

Thanks again so much, your replies were really helpful!

Bethy is offline Village Admiral

Not much you can do, in that respect, as the liver's main function is to filter toxins out of the blood, and it will be working hard to do that, while your pug is being treated.
    BETH AND THE JELLYROLL GANG
    www.jellyrollpugs.com

HOME OF:
    Champion Rose's Serendipity
    Champion Jellyroll Sherfame Bre-z Bea
    Champion Bre-z Manor Jellyroll Pogo
    Champion Bre-z Manor's Frozen Assets
    Champion Bre-z Manor Jellyroll Jolly
    Jellyroll Bre-z Sparkle'n'Bling..AKC Major Pointed
    Rose's Licker-ish..AKC Pointed
    Bre-z Jellyroll Ginny Fizz

At the Rainbow Bridge...
    Champion Bre-z Manor Jellyroll Wally
    Jellyroll Sherfame Bre-z Boy, AKC Major Pointed
    Mary Margaret Furperson, our first pug

Snifter is offline Moderator/Village Merchant

Milk Thistle is good for the liver - you might consider adding some of it to his food. I am not sure of quantity, though. You can buy it from human health food stores.

Bella, mummy to Snifter and Toddy!

http://avrilmunson.wordpress.com

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast