Bad sore/infection/wound on my puppy!! Freaking out! - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bad sore/infection/wound on my puppy!! Freaking out!

Pugpillow is offline Village Royalty

Here's a thread earlier this year on Frontline: https://www.pugvillage.com/forum/pug-...dications.html
    "You cannot afford to subject your animals, or your children, to medical interventions that you do not understand. The belief system upon which the conventional medical model is founded is so faulty, so corrupt and so dangerous that you simply cannot afford to follow blindly." Catherine O’Driscoll http://www.whale.to/vaccine/driscoll1.html

Hilary & the Pugpillow Gang: Rescues: Denver (10), Tina (7), Murdoch (5) and chihuahua puppy Maximus Spartacus. Always loving my angel-girl Mei-Ling (1994-2009), my cutie-patootie Kim-Soo (1995-2010), my precious Daisy-Bo (1998?-2006), my sweet boyfriend Jake (1997-2010), my little black beauty Betsy (1995-2010), my sweet old grumpy man Gooey (1996-2011), and my sweet gentleman Farnsworth (1998-2012) at the Bridge.

Lincoln's Mom is offline Village Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Snifter View Post
    Could be a hot spot.

Whatever, she ought to see a vet. She may well need oral antibiotics to shift it.
    That is what I was thinking. May be a hot spot, but definitely needs to be checked. I hope pup feels better soon.
    Be kind Spay and Neuter

Barbara, Mommy to Olive &
    my boy Lincoln at Rainbow Bridge

hyacynthe is offline Village Puppy

Hi guys, thanks so much for all of your help and suggestions!

I took Polly to the vet today, and the doc said it was a 'hot spot'. I've never heard of such a thing, so he explained that it can really be caused by anything. He said the frontline may have initially irritated her and it ended up getting infected.

He shaved her down, and the red spot was inbetween the size of a nickel and a quarter. He said that it looks like the worst part of the infection is over, and should start scabbing and healing soon. He applied some anti-bacterial powder, and that was basically it. If she gets worse, than I can bring her back in to get a cortisone shot. He advised me not to use peroxide again (thank you to whoever responded about that as well), and to try and keep the wound dry. I can sprinkle on a little corn starch, and also apply Neosporin to help with the healing. (he also expressed her anal glands which were BAD - holy cow!)

So it looks like little Polly will be fine. The hardest part is keeping my pugs apart when they try to play too rough with each other.

Thanks so much again! It's such a relief to know that I can get such great advice and support here!

Nicole

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

Lincoln's Mom is offline Village Senator

So glad Polly is on the mend!! Sounds like her bum is feeling better too;) Don't tell Olive...but she is getting her anals done tomorrow.
    Be kind Spay and Neuter

Barbara, Mommy to Olive &
    my boy Lincoln at Rainbow Bridge

Snifter is offline Moderator/Village Merchant

Keep a close eye on her in future - hot spots can be one-off or dogs can be prone to them. My Snifter is prone to them and when he gets them nothing except oral antibiotics will get rid of them. I hope in your case it is just a one-off. If ever you see her scratching one area in particular it pays to investigate. Hot spots start quite innocuously with a little clear fluid oozing from the skin. You have a much better chance of getting rid of them quickly the earlier you catch them.

Hope she's better soon.

Bella, mummy to Snifter and Toddy!

http://avrilmunson.wordpress.com

Rosiepug is offline Moderator et Village Parisienne

Keep a close eye on her in future - hot spots can be one-off or dogs can be prone to them. My Snifter is prone to them and when he gets them nothing except oral antibiotics will get rid of them. I hope in your case it is just a one-off. If ever you see her scratching one area in particular it pays to investigate. Hot spots start quite innocuously with a little clear fluid oozing from the skin. You have a much better chance of getting rid of them quickly the earlier you catch them.

Hope she's better soon.
    Bella, what is the antibiotic that Snifter takes. You mentioned it once before, I think it starts with T.
    How long does the hotspot take to heal and does the fur fall out?

Pudding's had a couple which are disastrous for showing because her fur does fall out.
    I'm wondering if I got her on the anti-b's at the first sign, whether I could stop the fur loss.
    www.parischiennepugs.com

]acqueline et
    Les Parischiennes,
    L'Impératrice Rosephine de Bonaparte
    La Marquise Halcyone de Pompadour

PUDDING @ 9 wks
    CRUFTS QUALIFIED 2010

Mademoiselle Amaryllis qui m'attende au pont d'arc 27.3.99-14.11.06

Fla. Pugs is offline Village Royalty

I cannot use Frontline on my dogs as it actually burned them and left a huge sore. My Vet said he has seen this happen in many dogs.
    He doesnt even recommend using it anymore. We now use Interceptor. It prevents heartworm disease, hookworm infection,and remove and control adult roundworms and whipworms in dogs and puppies. I would get your pup to the Vet as soon as possible.
    Linda~ Bugsy Pug, Millie and Captain Jack our Schnauzers.

Miyaghi~my pug angel, July 27, 2005
    Bubba our sweet pug boy, May 18, 2008
    Luke, May 8, 2012

Snifter is offline Moderator/Village Merchant

Quote Originally Posted by Rosiepug View Post
    Bella, what is the antibiotic that Snifter takes. You mentioned it once before, I think it starts with T.
    How long does the hotspot take to heal and does the fur fall out?

Pudding's had a couple which are disastrous for showing because her fur does fall out.
    I'm wondering if I got her on the anti-b's at the first sign, whether I could stop the fur loss.
    Jacqueline, the T you are thinking of is the Tavegil antihistamine.

The antibiotic we use is Cephacare. I don't know if it stops the fur falling out because I shave the area anyway to speed healing, but I have a feeling the fur does not fall out because if I have not taken the fur down short enough for the vet's liking he usually takes more.

We are on the tablets for a minimum of 2 weeks each time.

As for topical applications we are trying Cortavance steroid spray this time instead of the Fuciderm gel. It seems to be working quite well in conjunction with a daily clean up with hibiscrub.

Bella, mummy to Snifter and Toddy!

http://avrilmunson.wordpress.com

Rosiepug is offline Moderator et Village Parisienne

Jacqueline, the T you are thinking of is the Tavegil antihistamine.

The antibiotic we use is Cephacare. I don't know if it stops the fur falling out because I shave the area anyway to speed healing, but I have a feeling the fur does not fall out because if I have not taken the fur down short enough for the vet's liking he usually takes more.

We are on the tablets for a minimum of 2 weeks each time.

As for topical applications we are trying Cortavance steroid spray this time instead of the Fuciderm gel. It seems to be working quite well in conjunction with a daily clean up with hibiscrub.
    Bella. I've used Cortavance and Fuciderm Gel too!
    Will note the Cephacare anti-b's.
    Thanks for the info.
    www.parischiennepugs.com

]acqueline et
    Les Parischiennes,
    L'Impératrice Rosephine de Bonaparte
    La Marquise Halcyone de Pompadour

PUDDING @ 9 wks
    CRUFTS QUALIFIED 2010

Mademoiselle Amaryllis qui m'attende au pont d'arc 27.3.99-14.11.06

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12