Bad sore/infection/wound on my puppy!! Freaking out!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bad sore/infection/wound on my puppy!! Freaking out!

hyacynthe is offline Village Puppy

Exclamation Bad sore/infection/wound on my puppy!! Freaking out!

Hi guys,

Kinda freaking out here. I have 2 pugs, and one of them (my puppy, 6 months) has developed only what I can describe as a nasty sore/infection/legion on her back, between her shoulder blades. I don't know how this happened or what it is exactly. I do plan to call the vet tomorrow, but thought I'd get your feedback in the time being.

It's on her back like in the area you'd apply Frontline (I Frontlined her about 2 weeks ago, so I don't think it could be a reaction). I felt it for the first time last night when I picked her up. I immediately cut her hair to get a better look. It is about the size of a nickel and feels inflamed - hard and crusty through her fur. The best way to describe it is that it's like a very red, crusty, inflamed, sore - like an open wound with pus in it (sorry, gross I know). I can see a little greenish in there so it must be infected. It's not actively bleeding, but is all red and crusty and yucky - looks kind of like the skin is split. At first I couldn't tell if maybe there was a foreign object (tick or something) in there, but there doesn't appear to be anything in it. Also, her fur is all crusty and makes it difficult to see what's up. Plus she's super squirmy and I don't want to hurt her.

Other than the sore, she is acting FINE. Great energy. Running around, eating, the usual. She did poop in her crate the other night, which is somewhat unusual, but it wasn't diarrhea. The only possible thing I can think that may have caused it is that my pugs play together all the time (i.e. nip and bite each others faces and the fat rolls around their necks). Maybe my other pug broke her skin and it got infected? I have kept them pretty separated since last night to avoid any issues.

All I did so far last night was apply peroxide and some Neosporin. My vet was closed today but I plan to call tomorrow.

Any ideas???? I feel so bad for her although she doesn't seem to notice. She doesn't cry or bark if I inspect the area.

thanks,
    Nicole

shaynapug is offline True Village Royalty

It could still be from the frontline!

I'm glad that you're taking her to the vet!

I see it healed in no time!
    Diane
    Shayna Pugs
    http://www.midmichiganpugclub.com
    Chairperson of PDCA Rescue Committee

crazypugmom is offline Village Admiral

It could be from the Frontline. There was another pug village member whos male pug got a huge sore from Frontline. I believe he had used the product in the past, but for whatever reason, the last application caused a horrible sore/infection. I would go to the doctor because your pug may need some antibiotics if it has become infected.
    Leslye, Chyna, Tinker, Ruffy and husband Tim &
    our angels Pugsly and Taz waiting for us in heaven

Northern Illinois Pug Rescue & Adoption

www.northernillinoispugrescue.org

http://www.dogster.com/family/766626

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

oh wow, no way! That is so crazy. I looked at the Frontline box, and I had made a note that I gave it to the pugs on Aug 24th. So that's like 2.5 weeks ago. It was my puppy's first application ever, so I have nothing to compare it to for her. I had no idea that it could cause a sore like that, especially so long after the application.

Of course my first thought when I saw the sore....my mind jumped to horrible images like cancer or a terrible disease. I didn't know what to think.

If anyone else has any info about this I would SOOOOO appreciate it.

tall grass pugs is offline Village Orb Weaver Advocate

I wish they would take Frontline off the market. I have seen catastrophic results from a vet measured dosage. Please let us know how this all turns out.

Suri is offline Village Secret Super-Star

I have always used frontline with no problems. I am actually worried to try anything else since they have been fine with it.

i hope your puggie heals quickly. Maybe post a picture.
    Susan, mom to Bo, Lucy and Finn

Honoring Sruffy, Maggie Mae, Jenny, Trooper, Kaja,Muff, and Pepper

thanks guys. my other pug has been using Frontline for years and has had no problems either. I guess bottom line is that I need to contact my doctor tomorrow to see if I should bring Polly in. If I can get the little squirmer to sit still for 2 seconds I will try to post a picture of the infected area.

thanks again
    Nicole

pugaddiction is offline Village Royalty

I am sure she will be fine, please update us after your vet has seen her.
    Pug Mom to Roxie
    Zoey (March 27, 2005 - February 23, 2015) and Eddie (October 2, 2010 - September 10, 2019) have moved on to the bridge

6 Beautiful Pugs is offline Village Caretaker of the Old & Broken

Don't put peroxide on it anymore. peroxide is hard on them. Wash it well with warm water to remove the crusts and clean it out well, then apply something like Neosporin, Vetericyn, or other wound wash or antibiotic cream. If it is oozing pus, expressing the pus gently would be good. If it looks like it has pockets or much depth to it use a flushing type wound rinse. Feel around the wound to determine how deeply it seems to go.

If you have access to clippers try to shave the hair away from it.

Take care,
    Lisa
    In a gentle way, you can shake the world.

- Mohandas Gandhi

Snifter is offline Moderator/Village Merchant

Could be a hot spot.

Whatever, she ought to see a vet. She may well need oral antibiotics to shift it.

Bella, mummy to Snifter and Toddy!

http://avrilmunson.wordpress.com

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast