Explosive Diarrhea - How, Why, When?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Explosive Diarrhea - How, Why, When?

mookielove is offline New to the Village

Smile Explosive Diarrhea - How, Why, When?

Hello All!

I am bringing my puppy home this Saturday and have heard from my breeder that dogs will, at some point or another, experience explosive diarrhea!

Drawing on your experiences, under what circumstances has this happened? I guess I'm trying to get a better understanding as to minimize the chances of this happening!

Thanks!
    Diana

6 Beautiful Pugs is offline Village Caretaker of the Old & Broken

I would consider that a red flag. Your breeder should not be sending puppies home if they or their littermates are having diarrhea. It could definitely be a sign of serious illness, the causes could be Parvo, Coccidia, Giardia, worms, or myriad other infections...

Do not accept a puppy who has diarrhea or who's littermates have it.

Take care,
    Lisa
    In a gentle way, you can shake the world.

- Mohandas Gandhi

jj-1962 is offline Village Mayor

In my (small) experience and understanding... Elsa had diarrhea when I brought her home, and then it was confirmed her litter mates also had it. I got Elsa from my sister so know there was no real concerns. It turned out it was the worming tablets.

Also, I understand that change of diet, even change of water, environment, anxiety and various other reasons non-medical can cause initial diarrhea.

To avoid this, keep things as simple as possible. Same diet etc etc. In Elsa's case it was short lived (about 3-4 days with a daily improvement).

Good luck
    JJ and of course Elsa

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

shaynapug is online now True Village Royalty

A healthy dog or pup does not have explosive diarrhea!!!!

Coccidia, parvo, pancreatis, worms.......these can cause it. All can be very serious!!!

In a small pup.....it can be VERY serious and go bad quickly!
    Diane
    Shayna Pugs
    http://www.midmichiganpugclub.com
    Chairperson of PDCA Rescue Committee

mookielove is offline New to the Village

Hi All,

Sorry to alarm! The puppy does not have explosive diarrhea. The breeder just informed me that, during some point in her life, she might have it (due to bee stings, eating something she's not supposed to...etc.)

Hope the clarification helps!

6 Beautiful Pugs is offline Village Caretaker of the Old & Broken

Oh....whew....You might want to question her a little closely just to make sure she doesn't know something (about her or one or more littermates) that she isn't telling you and prepping you ahead of time, just in case.

Of all of the fosters and my own dogs (and cats) which I have had and that has been MANY, I've only had explosive diarrhea twice...once was Bailey when she was very sick with an intestinal problem and the other time was with a senor cat who was in the late stages of liver/kidney failure. Not to say we haven't had our share of regular diarrhea and loose stools for innumerable reasons, but explosive just doesn't happen that often (in my experience).

Take care,
    Lisa
    In a gentle way, you can shake the world.

- Mohandas Gandhi

ChristineLA is offline Village Mayor

Quote Originally Posted by mookielove View Post
    Hi All,

Sorry to alarm! The puppy does not have explosive diarrhea. The breeder just informed me that, during some point in her life, she might have it (due to bee stings, eating something she's not supposed to...etc.)

Hope the clarification helps!
    Glad for the clarification! I've had seven dogs over the course of my life, and every single one of them has had explosive diarrhea at least once! But, a puppy definitely shouldn't come home with it. I remember one of our pugs (Mojo) had a horrible case of diarrhea a couple years ago over 4th of July weekend. We took him to the emergency vet because we were worried. They kept him overnight until our regular vet opened. On his discharge papers to give to our vet, the vet tech wrote "EXTREMELY large amount of foul, projectile diarrhea at 2:00 a.m." The words foul and projectile were even underlined. We were mortified on Mojo's behalf! The next day, he was totally fine and back to normal.

Wally 'n' Leto is offline Pugzu Guru

How: Wailing at the door to be let out.... first time Wally's ever howled
    Why: Drinking the runoff from the muck pile at the barn (couldn't get there fast enough to stop it)
    When: 4:15 this morning.

Quoth my husband: "Wally's fine, but I fear the lawn may never be the same."

Solution: keep the dogs on leash when they go to the barn after a heavy rain (duh!)
    Heather, Mommy to skinkid Toby and furkids Sir Wally of Pugzu and Duke Leto Prancypants the Fragrant.

Also Mom to Archer the Canadian X and Willow the Paint.

Main squeeze of high school sweetie Scot.

Jessi is offline Village Governor

@Heather

Wally 'n' Leto is offline Pugzu Guru

How: Just walking along, like the village drunk as usual
    Why: Guess!!
    When: 5:00 AND 8:00 tonight

Quoth me, about 20 times: "I think Leto needs to poop, can you take him out please? My foot hurts."
    Quoth my husband, after the 20th time: "Oh my god this is.... ugh.... I think I'm going to throw up." (With mouth breathing)
    Quoth me: "I told you so. Why don't you ever listen? My foot hurts, can you clean it up."

Solution: Retrain husband to listen, because I am always right. Keep BOTH dogs off the muck pile.

** note, this sounds lighthearted but if the sloppy poops continue past midnight tonight, we will be taking them both to the vet. Right now they are rolling around squealing and wrestling, so they definitely don't feel ill. Eyes are shiny and tails are curled. This happened in the spring to Wally when he hadn't been there in a while and to Leto the first time he went to the barn. There seems to be an acquired immunity to it when they go frequently but they haven't been to the barn in a few weeks.

Why do road apples taste so good to dogs!!??!! Even worse, why oh why do they like to drink rotten manure tea?

What's a little between friends, eh?
    Heather, Mommy to skinkid Toby and furkids Sir Wally of Pugzu and Duke Leto Prancypants the Fragrant.

Also Mom to Archer the Canadian X and Willow the Paint.

Main squeeze of high school sweetie Scot.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast