Lulu update: NO BRAIN TUMOR! She has EPILEPSY! - Page 4
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Lulu update: NO BRAIN TUMOR! She has EPILEPSY!

jj-1962 is offline Village Mayor

I'm so happy for you all and Lulu. Again I can echo those who say to be happy over a serious illness is somewhat strange, but bearable over the other option. Long may Lulu's good luck continue bless her xx
    JJ and of course Elsa

Snifter is offline Moderator/Village Merchant

What a relief.

Bella, mummy to Snifter and Toddy!

http://avrilmunson.wordpress.com

Stazz is offline Village Admiral

YEEEEEEEEEEEE HAAAAAAAAAAA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

God is GREAT seriously, prayer chain = there is nothing stronger !!!!

This is such fantastic news. I'm sorry she has anything wrong at all, but at least its not all doom &gloom and that Epilepsy is managable.
    Welcome to the family.....this forum has the best positivity & support ! Use it :)
    Stace
    Mom to Yoda & Leia

xxx

4. Remove Advertisements
    PugVillage.com
    Advertisements

Stazz is offline Village Admiral

I can understand why people may be worried why we're celebrating the fact that Lulu has epilepsy, but its only due to the fact that the other horrible option and solution for that problem was actually to lose poor Lulu for good. This can be managed quite well if meant to be. I dnt think people should whine about it, just be happy it was not the horrible option.
    Stace
    Mom to Yoda & Leia

xxx

luluthepug is offline Village Governor

Oh, I know it's funny to be happy she has epilepsy - but like so many have said - i'd rather she has nothing wrong with her....but the other alternative yesterday was finding a tumor and putting her down while she was under. It was a horrible day.....hours and hours of waiting.

But then, there she was - all wiggly and happy and licky, walking down the hall in the arms of one of the vet techs. Our baby! Alive! And with something that will hopefully be manageable! The vet said that if we've only noticed 2 seizures - and we are assuming she didn't have a seizure in the original shelter (they would have certainly put her down if they had seen that probably - I know shelters don't have funds or time to deal with serious illness), she didn't have a seizure for the foster either. So the vet says that it may be a "mild" case. It's so hard to know if it's something that has just developed or if she's had it and it's never been treated (I pick the latter because she was not vetted at all til she came into the shelter/rescue system). Everything happens for a reason - I strongly believe she was supposed to come to us. I treated my sweet, old girl kitty, Max for chronic renal failure and she lived 4 yrs after diagnosis - til nearly 21. So we are no stranger to that sort of thing - and I think Lulu will be easier to give meds to!!!

Pug Village is amazing. Thanks everyone! I'm going to call my vet this morning and talk to her about what our options are for Lulu now. She slept under the covers with my 14 yr old last night. So happy to be home......sorry it took me so long to post - I had to keep stopping on the way home because I was exhausted (it was a 3hr drive) - and I have an awful sinus headache (infection I think). Got home last night and will start my own meds for my sinus infection this morning. It's been a LONG few days! I keep thinking that I couldn't wait to tell all of you our good news....!

Kara
    I dip my pen in the blackest ink, because I'm not afraid of falling into my inkpot.
    ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

owned by Walnut and the Baby Buddha aka Wally & Baby
    Penny (big, black, fluffy cat)
    our guardian angel, Lulu,
    and forever young kitties Max, Clara & Bessie

Nixy n Gertie is offline Village Mayor

The first thing my partner said to me when she woke up this morning was 'Any news on Lulu?'. We're both so so happy with the outcome - and thankful you didn't fork out 4k like the ER vet said!

Blademaker is offline Village Governor
    You lock the door, and throw away the key, there's someone in my head, but it's not me.....

luvnpugs is offline Village Governor

Kara, wonderful news! I pug sit for a former foster of mine and her pug sister Abby. Abby recently started having seizures, a few last time I sat for her. Scared me to death. Her seizures are under control with phenobarbital. Stress would usually bring them on. The good news is its under control and she is fine. This made my day today, hearing that your precious Lulu is home with you and your family!
    Mary Carpenter
    Rest in peace my sweet Sledgehammer.
    12/06/99-07/03/08

luvnpugs is offline Village Governor

I also had a foster girl, Lucy Lu, who had a pretty serious seizure at the shelter according to the vet tech, after her exam, grooming etc. 10 years old, and dumped by her family. She never had a seizure in my home, and has been seizure free with her adoptive family. Its been 3 years! Another foster who had seizures, had been poisoned by her family and we did not know. She passed away after a week, but was not well the whole time. The other, Abby, was diagnosed with epilepsy after anything else could be ruled out. She is doing well on her meds, which have been adjusted a few times.

Epilepsy may be idiopathic, which means the cause cannot be identified. A physical and neurologic exam are performed by your veterinarian, a panel of laboratory tests are run, and sometimes x-rays (radiographs) are taken. If a cause of the seizure can not be identified, the condition is diagnosed as idiopathic or primary epilepsy. There is no test to diagnose epilepsy per se, our tests simply rule out other causes of seizures.

After the seizure, the recovery (post-ictal) period begins. Your dog may seem disoriented, uncoordinated, and occasionally blind (temporary). This may last several minutes to days.

Epilepsy: A Cause of Seizures in Dogs
    Mary Carpenter
    Rest in peace my sweet Sledgehammer.
    12/06/99-07/03/08

luluthepug is offline Village Governor

Thanks, Mary! I've been reading this morning (between driving my youngest to school because she missed the bus!) all about it. Waiting for a call from my vet to see what our next step is. I guess that we've done all the "ruling everything out", with the clear bloodwork, x-rays and MRI.
    Kara
    I dip my pen in the blackest ink, because I'm not afraid of falling into my inkpot.
    ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

owned by Walnut and the Baby Buddha aka Wally & Baby
    Penny (big, black, fluffy cat)
    our guardian angel, Lulu,
    and forever young kitties Max, Clara & Bessie

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast